Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You realize the compact camera market has lost close to 90% of its value? It took less than 5 years. It is a textbook business case of a tech change almost eliminating an entire market segment.
You are being inconsistent with yourself and the facts.

No one is denying that many users switched from standalone cameras to smartphones. Both the data show and now you admit the compact market segment still exists -- compact cameras can compete. In fact, the latest CIPA data shows built-in lens camera shipments growing 14% over 2016. Moreover, it looks like production and shipments of non-interchangeable lens digital cameras are growing faster than those for ILCs.

Compact cameras can compete because smartphones cannot offer everything a standalone camera offers. All that's changed is a bunch of people that never cared that much for photography got a new option for casual snapshots. (Actually, I'd wager than most of today's 2 billion smartphone owners never ever owned a standalone camera.) The niche segment (and it was always a niche segment) that care about image quality, ergonomics, and photographic functionality have remained and continue to buy standalone cameras.

Interestingly, the combination of the CIPA data, # of people with smartphones, and assuming people replace their standalone cameras every 2.5 years suggests about 5% of the population has a standalone camera which is markedly similar the the 95-5 ratio that another thread suggests is the smartphone-camera ratio in tourist locations. (If people replace standalone cameras less frequently, the total % of owners is higher.)

10-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #47
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I definitely see fewer than I used to... but, on my recent vacation to Crete, there were plenty of them in use by tourists. And, here in the UK, our photography and electronics stores still sell P&S compacts - Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Ricoh, Olympus and others...
it's web shop...I say about real photo stores....
10-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's web shop...I say about real photo stores....
Nope SRS is very much a real photography store, though it has developed a strong web presence. You can walk in off the street and buy compact P&S cameras, along with all the other items they list on the website. WEX is primarily online (though it has a large retail unit in Norwich), but is merging with Calumet which, again, is a real photo store...

Still not convinced? Here's a page from my local photographic shop's website (they sell Canon, Nikon and Panasonic compacts - some others too, I think)
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-13-2017 at 07:52 AM.
10-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #49
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nope SRS is very much a real photography store, I think)
I'm not citizen of your country.

10-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'm not citizen of your country.
I never suggested you were, Boris... I simply pointed out that, here in the UK, our shops still sell compact / P&S cameras. Here, at least, there's still a market for them, and I suspect that's the case in other countries too (if not in yours)
10-13-2017, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #51
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Compact cameras are still widely available and somewhat popular in Japan. There are a lot of people in Japan, especially the elderly, who are not interested in smartphones. The elderly over here are still very active in retirement, because they tend to be in good health and have got all this money they never had a chance to spend during their careers. I'm pretty sure they are holding up the low end of the compact camera market in Japan. Incidentally, I also think this is a group Ricoh sold a lot of Q cameras to a few years ago.

There is one interesting case of a company whose photography products are focused completely on compact cameras, and that is Casio. They are also focused almost completely on Asia, and they are doing pretty well as far as I know. It helps that they are good at seeking out niches and making imaginative products for them. It's easy to sneer at some of their products, but they sell for more than the sum of their parts, and that is what business is about.

They have:
- The camera for golfers SPORTS | ??????? | CASIO
- The camera for adventurous types G'z EYE | ??????? | CASIO
- The 360 camera for adventurous types LIFE STYLE | ??????? | CASIO
- The wide-angle compact (out to 19mm equivalent, which I think is unique) EX-ZR4000 | HIGH SPEED | ??????? | CASIO
- The serious tele compact (1/17 sensor, constant f2.8, great handling) PREMIUM HIGH SPEED | ??????? | CASIO
- And this lovely item for the social media crowd, which is not commercialized in Japan, but on sale in other parts of Asia ?????????????????????? TR-M11??? - Engadget ???

They understand that people will pay more for a product that they feel is uniquely tailored to them, even outside the traditional photography market. I think tis is where the camera companies have gone wrong with compacts. They focus on better imaging specifications and more direct control, while the market they are losing is completely baffled by that kind of thing, and just want something that fits into their lifestyle better.
10-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Casio EX-100... basically an Olympus Stylus 1 without the viewfinder. That's a good thing although I prefer having the EVF. I miss my Stylus 1... a lot.
10-14-2017, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Moreover, it looks like production and shipments of non-interchangeable lens digital cameras are growing faster than those for ILCs.
4K OLED display increase the demand for IQ better than mobile phones can do. That means some users who ditched there compact camera 5 years ago for a mobile phone now are getting again a compact camera that does 4K so that to record their vacation day and enjoy displaying it on a 4K display. It is consistent with shelf space, still a number of 4K compact camera and action camera promoted and sold. The DSLR and large sensor MILC corner (larger than 4/3rd) seems to be now only for enthusiasts and professionals. Large 4K displays are now driving some of the camera sales. Anyway, the latest display technology demonstrated shows stunning details and colors... taken by cameras with apsc or full frame sized sensors. For selling UHD display they tend not to use images from mobiles phones. That can be a disappointment when you buy that 4K OLED display, drive home and display your mobile phones pictures with it, you'd tend to go back to the shop and buy a new camera as well.

10-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #54

Canon APSC G coming
Ricoh GRZ no far?

10-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #55

When is the next photo exhibition where we can expect something new?
10-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mocker Quote
When is the next photo exhibition where we can expect something new?
The next ones are PhotoPlus Expo (New York, 25-28 October) and Salon de la Photo (Paris, 9-13 November).

CP+ is the most important to Ricoh Imaging (Yokohama, 1-4 March 2018).
10-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I really hope this is true. It sounds like just what Iím looking for. Something like the GRD at the wide end, with more versatility.

Impressive though the GR was, I had very mixed feelings about it moving to a large sensor. I think it lost as much as it gained from that decision.

Itís interesting the the GRD IVís price on the second hand market in Japan is quite close to the GR, which indicates that Iím not the only one that feels this way.
Agreed I loved my GRiv, did not like the move to APSc due to increase in size. IQ was more than adequate for anything but low light use without tripod.Shame about dust on sensor though, and rubbish aftercare from Ricoh UK.
10-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #58
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Canon APSC G coming
Ricoh GRZ no far?
Ugly with slow lens...But...Weather sealed and small.

Last edited by ogl; 10-17-2017 at 12:11 AM.
10-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #59
Forum Member

Personally I would like a 1" inch sensor version of the Q, with the same 45mm equiv prime and the 3 zooms. It would still be very compact and have much better low light performance. If they dressed it up in a choice of wild and whacky colours, they could even call it the Q-T (Cutee), for marketing purposes in Asia. Unfortunately I can't see it ever happening. The market would be just too small and hence the cost too high. So will have to soldier on with my original Q, 8.5mm prime and the wide zoom. No big deal, for most things the IQ is still good enough, its a tiny and very unique little camera and I've managed to customise it with a couple of OVF's.
10-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #60
ogl
Pentaxian

Canon made what I had asked many times at this forum, told to Adam to give such idea to Ricoh at photo exhibitions and even sent emails to Ricoh with such idea.

G1 X Mark III is weather sealed APS-C camera with zoom for travel.

Small, light and tilting LCD, but ugly, expensive, slow battery and slow zoom.

Ricoh must produce TWO new GRIII 24 MP with fixed lens and with faster zoom and weather sealing....Alas...No any rumors.