Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Ricoh GRZ coming soon?

Interesting thread from dpreview forum, stating that new GR model could be announced soon - the GRZ

Ricoh GRZ Rumor: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

"A friend in Japan sent me a 2016 rumor for a GRII replacement. The GRZ was labeled as a more "tamokutekina" (versatile) camera and more of a modern GX100/200 camera. It mentions a smaller body with a 20 megapixel sensor with a 24-60mm f1.7-2.8 lens, image stabilization, b&w film emulation with grain control, snap focus, dual auto-focus system. There is some other information which I haven't translated yet. This is an apparent GR replacement and not an additional camera."

10-09-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, if it's not a single focal length, preferrably equiv. 28mm, it's not a GR... ergo also not a replacement. If they bring a APS-C compact with a fast zoom lens in a smaller body than a GR I might be in purchasing mode. But I highly doubt that.
10-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
I personally own the GR I and for me this is very nice and versatile camera. Too bad it hasn't got any WR and a faster lens. 4k recording would be a big plus too. Anyway, one of the most iconic PS cameras of digital age.
10-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be nice if the GR line had two bodies- a fixed lens offering with a large sensor, and a smaller sensor offering with a zoom lens. Who knows if this would be viable alongside fierce competition from Sony, but it could have potential.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Agree with both of that. Especially WR, to avoid dust on the sensor would make it perfect. Bring a new model with the sensor of the KP, basic dust protection and if fancy a better/metal bayonettlike extension tube for the existing WA, macro and a future short tele adapter and you have a serious mirrorless competitor.
10-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice one, hope it turns out, look forward to seeing what this turns into
10-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a GX and GX100 owner, I'd love to see that camera line modernised, but the sensor in both those cameras was significantly smaller than APS-C. But the GR evolved into an APS-C so I guess the GX could do the same.
I rarely use them now because I really need my pocket camera to be weather-proof or water proof to make it worth carrying.
One of the best features of those tiny cameras was their support for external flash units which almost no other pocket cameras of the day could match (along with RAW, wide angle lenses, super low shutter lag etc.). But the world caught up and those things are available on a wider range of cameras these days.

10-09-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

24-60? Isnt that a weird focal length for APSC? Maybe full-frame?
10-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Probably that's "FF equivalent" and not the actual focal length.
10-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
24-60? Isnt that a weird focal length for APSC? Maybe full-frame?
Well, from a realistic point of view, the Pana Lx-100 has a chip slightly smaller than 4/3 and a comparable focal range and that might be the upper limit of what can still be regarded compact. I would have assumed this cam from 2016 might have been planned along this sizepoint, maybe even with a 1" sensor.

On the other hand, just out of curiousity I would like to know what might be technically feasible with APS-C without constraints from register distance and a retractable system like the 18-50. But no chance seeing "24-60mm f1.7-2.8 lens" and "a smaller body" than GR with APS-C, even less FF, sorry.
10-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #11

Original Poster
I hope that if this camera (if real) will have smaller than APS-C sensor, it will be also equiped with at least good video capabilities. If not, it will be eaten by LX100s and other cameras with smaller sensors...
10-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If Iremener correctly, my LX3 has exactly the same range: it's a but of a mixed bag, way more versatile than fixed but could be quite more versatile too.

Still, if fitted with EVF as previous GX serie, it would be a very nice addition.
10-09-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
A friend in Japan sent me a 2016 rumor for a GRII replacement
A unknown friend of an unknown poster on another forum supplied (recycled) a rumor from 2016 that is now at least one and possibly almost two years old? And that is exciting news?
The Pentax (Ricoh) world is indeed desperate for anything to talk about..............................
10-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

A small compact zoom with a decent sized sensor and WR that does RAW files is the niche to go for. The Ricoh WG series does not do RAW which is a real shame. I think Olympus is the only rugged compact that does RAW.

I have always felt Ricoh should either have a small Micro 4/3rd mount labeled body or turn the Pentax Q into a Micro 4/3rd mount modeled on the form factor of the 110 film camera.

As Mirco 4/3rd has multiple participants there is a large pool of Micro 4/3rd users to buy Ricoh/Pentax Micro 4/3rd lenses.
10-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
ogl
Banned

If the sensor is 1", it's not interesting...