Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Two new BSI Sony sensors should be available in 2018:

- 100 Mpix, 33x44mm (same size as the current 50 Mpix sensor): IMX461
- 150 Mpix, 40.4x53.7mm (same size as the current 100 Mpix sensor): IMX411

http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/news/detail/170301.pdf
Is anyone else reading this stuff saying why on earth would anyone want a 100mp camera much less a 150mp camera? When have any of you ever needed even 50mp? 36mp? Probably incredibly rarely if ever.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a nice new bsi medium format sensor that's like 36mp. Kind of an a7s for medium format. Great low light performance, super low noise. Nobody needs all those mega pixels.

11-08-2017, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The real reason that they are doing this is that they are soon to release the review of a new camera that has a better score than the 645Z.
Remember K5, K3, K1 reviews?
Often the reviews are out just to get them trashed by a camera that is 1.5yr or more newer.

Quoting myself....

See.... I knew that this was coming .... (ie. the Hasselblad X1D review is out with a 102 sensor score).

So to me, STOP giving DXO any relevance by not quoting them nor using them as reference.
KNOW your stuff and trust your own eyes when you judge IQ on your own camera.
If its good enough, its good enough.
There is no need to give DXO any more traffic or relevance to compare this sort of non-distinct difference of "My sensor is 100, yours is 99"
11-09-2017, 03:29 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SamuelDixon Quote
Is anyone else reading this stuff saying why on earth would anyone want a 100mp camera much less a 150mp camera? When have any of you ever needed even 50mp? 36mp? Probably incredibly rarely if ever.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a nice new bsi medium format sensor that's like 36mp. Kind of an a7s for medium format. Great low light performance, super low noise. Nobody needs all those mega pixels.
I don't think bsi makes much of a difference on large sensors like the ones we are talking about here.

With regard to 100 megapixels, it should be possible with the extra pixels to bin them and come out with a cleaner 30 to 50 megapixel image if that is what is desired. It is also possible to print really big without loss of detail if that is the goal. Medium format is pretty rarified gear and even the cheapest medium format cameras sell fractions of what full frame cameras do.

I would say too that Pentax and the other medium format camera makers don't make their own sensors and so they are left to choose from what Sony (and others) decide to make.
11-09-2017, 04:16 AM   #94

About month ago i was talking with guy, who is making bilbords and other street advertisement.
One of latest ads was huge bilbord (~7x20m), where lowest part of it was on eye level of people walking around. Client demands was, that lower pars of this picture had to look good for people standing on ground and watching it from less than 1 meter.
He had to make serveral pictures of model and merge those into one just to make it look good, and it was not easy work, when your picture must look dynamic.

That's about profesional use. And about amateur:
I realy like to protography nature, especialy landscapes and birds. It gives me quite some pleasure to zoom in wider picture and watch all those birds on it up close. I rarely shoot in bad light conditions, so i don't need so high ISO, but better resolution would be goread.
Also, in sport or animal photography it's much easier to shoot wider and then crop image, than shoot this small image first time.
OK, i don't have money for lastest tech, i still shoot K50, but if i had money...

11-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pros need megapixels to do their job. Just like they used 4x5 and 8x10 cameras in the studios because no 35mm film camera made could do most studio work any justice in the commercial photography world. If you have ever had to work with an art director you would understand this. Advertising shots need room for text. The art director god/godess may want a different crop, removal of anything that interferes with the text etc. Then they will nitpick the work, seemingly to death, to correct all sorts of things they deem unacceptable. They look at am image in a whole different way than you and me and they have to be made happy.

It is the megapixels that drew me to the K1. I love the ability to drill down into a photograph. It may have something to do with once supporting aerial recon equipment, but for me it is a priority. The K1 gives me the option of making an image in landscape mode and then editing it to portrait mode if needed with very little loss of detail. Because of over 40 years of working in image evaluation, I will always take as many pixels as I can afford. I have lusted after the 645z for a long time. I simply cannot justify getting one. I guess I suffer from Pixel Acquisition Syndrome.
11-09-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

it's a detailed world, give me all the megapixels
11-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #97
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Application Image Sensor for Camera | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation

11-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I need all the megapixels in the world once a year when I make my 64"x24" panorama of my kid's school student body.

Otherwise, anything over 20 MP is just entertainment in pixel peeping. "How far can I zoom in? Can I see myself reflected in their eyes? COOoooooLL!"
11-09-2017, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

"Hello, we'll publish the Pentax 645z review soon, so please stay tuned. Thank you for your patience."
Just a few years from now...
11-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #100
Pentaxian

DX=0!
11-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very Interesting, seems that there will be a medium format 100mp 55mm (Crop) sensor capable of 6FPS + 4K released soon. Looking around the website it seems that sony doesnt just sell all of the sensors that they make and that they like to keep some for themselves.
11-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #102
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. it's rather fast MF sensors. Found such info and decided to share with all users. New 150 MP 40.4x53.7mm could do 4 fps.

I think 645Z's replacement could carry 100 MP 33х44 mm because of price and 4K ability.

100 MP older 40.4x53.7mm Sony sensor is rather slow.

But who knows?
11-10-2017, 01:00 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this was on 101 replies, and I didn't want it to be take down
11-14-2017, 01:01 PM - 2 Likes   #104

Review is up a now! (after a few years...)

Pentax 645Z: A great choice for medium-format shooters - DxOMark
11-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Its about time they released it, any buddy else feel as though it was written horribly? Half the review is about the d850 or the x1d, also it seemed rushed and was only written to quiet people up. I’m surprised they didnt even mention the gfx. Oh well, at least they finally have released the review after 3 years.