Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Australia - 15% off lenses this weekend

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax Australia - 15% off lenses this weekend 13-16 Oct 17. Just letting folks know! I think I've already spent too much on lenses this year!

Oops. PS the discount code is "focus".

Last edited by RobG; 10-12-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info
10-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Pentax Australia - 15% off lenses this weekend 13-16 Oct 17. Just letting folks know! I think I've already spent too much on lenses this year!

Oops. PS the discount code is "focus".
Rob - interested to know how you knew the promo was on and what the promo code is? No mention of the promo on the website or on CRK but enter the code and it works??
10-13-2017, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
Rob - interested to know how you knew the promo was on and what the promo code is? No mention of the promo on the website or on CRK but enter the code and it works??
He got the same marketing email I received. As to how, the bottom of the email reveals:

"We send special offers to customers who opted in when registering their Pentax Camera or Lens for warranty or chose to subscribe to our mailing list".

10-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks

10-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #5

Is usually overpriced gear, anything worth looking at lens wise?

10-14-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onggie Quote
Is usually overpriced gear, anything worth looking at lens wise?
Actually, the Pentax Australia lens prices are usually very competitive depending on the USD exchange rate. Your question is strange though - they have the full range of Pentax lenses? Bear in mind if you live in Australia and buy from Pentax Australia, your lens will have a valid warranty. Do a grey import and it won't. Postage is also included in the price, and importing gear from the USA in particular can be very expensive. Anyway, YMMV. I was just letting Ozzie Pentax owners know.
10-14-2017, 04:29 AM   #7

Actually, the Pentax Australia lens prices are usually very competitive depending on the USD exchange rate. Your question is strange though - they have the full range of Pentax lenses? Bear in mind if you live in Australia and buy from Pentax Australia, your lens will have a valid warranty. Do a grey import and it won't. Postage is also included in the price, and importing gear from the USA in particular can be very expensive. Anyway, YMMV. I was just letting Ozzie Pentax owners know.
Thanks but all I was getting at is that's generally just cheaper to buy off B&H or Amazon even though its grey, as we get ripped off.

10-14-2017, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

generally just cheaper to buy off B&H or Amazon even though its grey, as we get ripped off.
Depends where (and when) you shop locally. Some local dealers set almost comically suicidal high prices for Pentax gear, others give great deals that can regularly beat grey. Keep an eye out in particular for the 15-20% off deals that regularly sweep eBay sellers and even local stores like Teds.

Having said the above, it will be interesting to see what happens to AU Pentax pricing when Amazon finally sets up local operations in Australia. I understand they will be direct-importing, not sourcing via local distributors, so there will potentially be a real squeeze on prices soon.
10-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks but all I was getting at is that's generally just cheaper to buy off B&H or Amazon even though its grey, as we get ripped off.
OK, if I was going to buy from the USA I'd only do it when there was a sale, and only for a cheaper lens because I'd get no warranty. This is a slightly unfair comparison I'm about to make, but at the same time I wouldn't buy a really expensive lens from CRK unless there's a sale either.

Current B&H price for the DFA 150-450 with postage to Canberra is USD$2362.15. At the current exchange rate not counting the rate my bank would charge or any service fees, that's AUD$2,990.06. I bought my DFA 150-450 at a 15% discount like this weekend for AUD$2804.15 including GST and delivery. Oh yes, if you imported the lens from the USA, you'd also have to pay GST on top of that so it would actually be $3,289.07. But if you take that 10% as a US sale discount, the Australian price was still cheaper thanks to the exchange rate, postage and bank fees.

So if you buy when the lenses are discounted, you'll definitely pay less than a grey import, and you'll get an Australian warranty. Some lenses on the Australian pentax site have been cheaper than B&H even without a discount in the past, but I haven't checked recently. One was the 100mm macro.

Yes, I've been peeved at US discounts in the past, but at the same time it's not fair to say that Pentax Australia are ripping us off. If anything, Ricoh are ripping us off because they're giving bulk discounts to the USA that allow them to undercut even local prices in Japan.
10-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I’d have purchased a DFA 35mm 645 lens only they don’t sell it on the site.
10-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Ricoh Imaging | 645

The FA 645 35mm is the last lens on the page of 645 lenses? It says no stock, but if you order, I'm sure that they would allow the discount.
(edit) Oh, sorry, it's the FA not the DFA. Send them an email and tell them you'd have ordered it if it was available. In the past I was able to order Pentax lenses which were not listed which were pro lenses. It's worth trying!
10-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
FYI, a 645 35mm is available at the moment on eBay from surverysuppliesAU, a seller that is affiliated with CRK:
Pentax SMC FA 645 35mm f3.5 AL IF

Brand new condition, full 12-month Pentax warranty.
10-16-2017, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rob is dead right. The relativity to US retailer prices varies, but to me it's never been enough to risk importing a new lens. When you just consider how often people send back a new lens because they find unacceptable de-centering, it's a big risk to buy without an effective warranty.

CRK often gets a bad rap on this forum, but my experiences in dealing with them have always been positive. For example, they fixed my 55-300 PLM after I dropped it, and waived the repair charge because the repair (going to Japan and back) took longer than estimated. And a repairer in Melbourne I spoke to told me that of all the brands of cameras he repairs, Pentax were one of the best supported for parts in Australia.

I bought one K-30 as a grey import, but I wouldn't buy another new camera or lens that way again.
10-16-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

15% off sale + less than 60 days till I travel overseas + lens I wanted in stock = wallet considerably thinner.

The overall price was less than the buying from B & H even before you take into account GST. Factoring in the TRS refund I'll get and the GST that would have been added to the price from B & H the saving from buying locally is over A$500, plus I have a local warranty.

I submitted my order yesterday afternoon and as of 7.30 this morning it is with the delivery driver, I can't complain about that
10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I submitted my order yesterday afternoon and as of 7.30 this morning it is with the delivery driver, I can't complain about that
Thanks for posting, Mike! Glad to hear that someone benefited. If it wasn't for the fact that I recently bought the DFA 150-450, HD 55-300 and Sigma 8-16, I might have taken advantage of the sale myself!