Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photokina?

I assume there will be lots of announcements at Photokina, talk is cheap, but what is the history of releases around that time? Can we expect availability of lenses already announced? Is there a history of Sigma, Tamron, and Pentax releasing lenses as in, I can go buy one, around the time the show is on?

Is there any history of price drops around that time, not just for replaced equipment, but for equipment in general?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-25-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Anything can happen once Photokina comes and goes....we only have to wait less than one month to find out what is new/released and what 50% of this board will use as fodder to complain about afterward.

Personally, I hope Pentax waits until 2009 to release a FF so those who cry about "the sky falling", "Defecting" and switching to the "Dark Side" can be on their merry way in search of their holy grail. Meanwhile, I will be focusing on making great photographs.

Jason
08-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Anything can happen once Photokina comes and goes....we only have to wait less than one month to find out what is new/released and what 50% of this board will use as fodder to complain about afterward.

Personally, I hope Pentax waits until 2009 to release a FF so those who cry about "the sky falling", "Defecting" and switching to the "Dark Side" can be on their merry way in search of their holy grail. Meanwhile, I will be focusing on making great photographs.

Jason
your wish will come true
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
RaduA

Well, as Richard put it on the other forum even the company's cats, dogs and gold fishes are under NDA. In fact the level of secrecy is so big that I predict something really big (either a big news or a big disappointment that is). Personally I am more interested in the future lens roadmap anyway.

Radu

08-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
your wish will come true
Oh yeah...You already know what that is Steve...after over an hour on the phone with you..we shall see....

Ben
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Oh yeah...You already know what that is Steve...after over an hour on the phone with you..we shall see....
So much for Pentax's NDA... Soon *isteve will call another Pentaxian, which in turn calls another Pentaxian, and so ad infinitum. You can as well tell me now, I'll know the news sooner or later. I promise not to tell WendyB
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

anyonebody got a place in Cologne that i can crash at for a week?

08-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
So much for Pentax's NDA... Soon *isteve will call another Pentaxian, which in turn calls another Pentaxian, and so ad infinitum. You can as well tell me now, I'll know the news sooner or later. I promise not to tell WendyB
Infinitum? We Pentaxians are good but we are still too few to manage that :-)
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Infinitum? We Pentaxians are good but we are still too few to manage that :-)
Who knows... It's not that long ago that most nude photographers were using Spotmatics, it can happen again

I'll be there on September 23st. Of course, as I'm only a 2 hour drive away from Cologne. I wanted to collect as much information as possible, without having to wait for for instance Dpreview to come up with the news.
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what JJJPhoto said in another forum on PF:

"Although there is a lot to love about the K20D, it's more of an "evolutionary" replacement for the K10D rather than a "revolutionary" replacement.

By that, I mean the K10D absolutely slaughters every Pentax DSLR that came before it. The K20D, on the other hand, just offers a couple of nice features that the K10D lacks."

You may or may not feel that the K20D "just offers a couple nice features that the K10D lacks". It does seem, though, that the difference between the K10D and what came before it is much greater than the difference between the K10D and the K20D. That's why I waited to buy the K10D.

My question is whether any new Pentax released at Photokina next month will similarly "slaughter" the K10D and K20D. Does anyone (such as those with an NDA) want to comment generally on that?
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
My question is whether any new Pentax released at Photokina next month will similarly "slaughter" the K10D and K20D. Does anyone (such as those with an NDA) want to comment generally on that?
I expect Pentax to come up with a lot more new and better features than one would find between the K10D and K20D. I'm sure Pentax reads the forums, and on the forums there was a loud call for an improved body with more FPS and a better AF. It remains to be seen if Pentax can improve both at the same time (I think not) but I'm sure they're trying very hard.
08-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Photokina open to the public?

Let's not forget through-put... increasing FPS pushing close to 25% - 50% more pixels then others does factor into it a great deal.
08-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

AF SPEED is a non issue, our SDM/HSM lenses are super fast!

it is whatever is inside the camera that processes this information that is the bottle neck, and needs to be upgraded.

if anything i want pentax to make a camera witha 3.5" display screen and a battery that lasts for over 3000 shots
08-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Here's what JJJPhoto said in another forum on PF:

"Although there is a lot to love about the K20D, it's more of an "evolutionary" replacement for the K10D rather than a "revolutionary" replacement.

By that, I mean the K10D absolutely slaughters every Pentax DSLR that came before it. The K20D, on the other hand, just offers a couple of nice features that the K10D lacks."

You may or may not feel that the K20D "just offers a couple nice features that the K10D lacks". It does seem, though, that the difference between the K10D and what came before it is much greater than the difference between the K10D and the K20D. That's why I waited to buy the K10D.

The latest official info (several moths old) I saw was that the next camera would be an entry level camera. A K2000 is to be expected. I am sure there are ways to make such a camera revolutioanary (really making it as a K1000 with shutter time setting at the top, no display, as little complication as possible, only ISO shutter and F settings....as an example) but most likley that will be too expensive. On the other hand an entry level camera like all other entry level cameras will it be what Pentax needs? the MZ-M was a brave thing to do, but I do not know if Pentax made any money from it. Was used by many photo schools though, so was good marketing. Taking the M from that, maybe we will see a KMD? ;-)
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one thing I do know for certain is that Sigma will be releasing a date for the 150mm f2.8 macro lens in Pentax mount at the show.
I have been waiting ages for this lens.