Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yes, image circles are always something to consider. But living without movements feels weird after using 4x5" setup for the whole summer.
Very true!

Have you ever tried the Rokinon/Samyang 24 f/3.5 T/S?

11-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Nope, not that one. But I have used modern Canon TS-E wide angles and 90mm TS-E with 5D2, 1Ds3 and 6D bodies in Canon camp and adapted to Sony A7r and R2. T/S lenses just lack a bit in the movements, for example with Intrepid I can do rise and shift at the same time and still use tilt AND swing (that is a bit wild for normal brain to handle). I modded the camera a bit to allow for minor rear tilt as well.
11-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
But that would throw the weather sealing out the window.
Not necessarily. Imagine the sensor to lens flange distance is shorter than a regular lens requires.
The camera is supplied with a regular WR "adapter" with no movements and an "adapter" with movements to which both compensate the shortfall of the flange distance.

Sure, it'd be a bit more fiddly, but it'd be possible.
11-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #64

Yes, image circles are always something to consider. But living without movements feels weird after using 4x5" setup for the whole summer.
Ha! You think that's hard. 20 years of daily 10x8 and 5x4, followed by 17 years of daily MF on 6x9 and for a little over a year, the K1, because I'm mostly doing pixel-shift and focus bracketing.

11-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Nah, just dumb feeling to find missing controls on camera body. And besides that, large format was mirrorless +100 years ago. I found it refreshing to go back to basics.
12-31-2017, 06:40 PM - 3 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
large format was mirrorless +100 years ago.
...but then you get inquisitive idiot students asking you why is there an accordion on your tripod.
01-01-2018, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

Sir, that is almost exact question I heard last summer.

"What is that...bellows thing...on your tripod? Is that really real?" Some want to have a look under the dark cloth and there will be more questions. Last question is almost always: "Where can I get these?"

01-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #68
Pentaxian

...but then you get inquisitive idiot students asking you why is there an accordion on your tripod.
Mouahahahaha, good one

Mine still can't understand how the heck can I frame anything without a screen (but do not have a single problem about the film thing, weird).
01-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mouahahahaha, good one

Mine still can't understand how the heck can I frame anything without a screen (but do not have a single problem about the film thing, weird).
A friend of mine wanted to know about auto-focus performance on my Chamonix.

Steve
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Tell your friend it can focus on autos just fine!

In fact, with tilting, the Chamonix gets better auto focus than most cameras.
01-02-2018, 01:34 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I thought the sensor could be tilted anyway. Whether it does or doesn't it will soon. But if you're using it in the way its been described to be able to get the bottom and top of a high rise in focus, then that opens the question of using CDAF, and using focus points to make or check focus. I think you'll need a touchscreen to work this new feature, and if I'm not mistaken, the original link has one patent that might suggest this. "Power information management device and power information management system".
01-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have had a student ask me where the focus ring was on one of my LF lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I think you'll need a touchscreen to work this new feature
"Power information management device and power information management system"
In what way do power management features have any relation to the implementation of a touchscreen?
01-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #73
Pentaxian

I have had a student ask me where the focus ring was on one of my LF lenses.
I assume you gave the "standard" answer.
01-02-2018, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I resisted the temptation to bellow about it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-02-2018 at 11:58 PM.
01-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Information as defined in computing is output data perceived as information.
I think you forgot the part where user input is also information, I see no indication of interactive user input being part of the power management schema in the patent article. It only speaks of output, power management of various features and user control through a UI interface which is viewed through the display: which is, as far as I can see in the article; being used exclusively as an output device.

The power information management system is waiting for inputs, in basic binary on/off power/nil power. The whole "Invention" document describes the switching/power commands between the devices.
I think this is indicative of basic power management through the main CPU bus, which controls features such as the ability to control brightness of the LCD display, turn on/off wireless image transmission and configure various power management settings through the UI. The display is a means through which visual feedback on remaining battery power levels is used - there is no mention of display capacitance.

I think you are reading into this too much.