Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 04:25 AM   #271
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's a report button, let's use it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't fulfil the criteria for reporting. But it does fulfil the criteria for nonsense.
Just assign Snappertim to well deserved irrelevance.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-27-2017 at 05:22 AM.
10-27-2017, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #272

Are you reporting a guy becauce he annoyes you? Seriously???
This is internett peeps, you meet people here. If you don't like something you read - just scroll. Don't get upset.

I guess I dont win any popularity contests with this post LOL :-D
10-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #273
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Are you reporting a guy because he annoys you? Seriously???
No one should report, because it won't work.
Just ignore, and block, and consign to irrelevance.
10-27-2017, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you'd prefixed your post with "In my opinion", I think you might have had more positive (or, at least, fewer negative) responses
If you decode his statement it is actually not unreasonable at the core, viz.

In future, Ricoh will put more into FF than into APS-C
The old Hoya-era SDM DA star lenses will run down over the next few years
There will be three new cameras over the next 12-18 months (two K series, one 645)
Ricoh will do more coop development with third parties like Tamron
Ricoh manufacture a lot of stuff in the Philippines

Honestly, none of this is remarkable or surprising even if one doesn’ agree with it. Even if pure conjecture, it’s not a bad guess. Unfortunately the tone and some of the embedded claims (Ricoh’s relationship with Tamron, e.g.) left a bit to be desired. Three new cams between now and the end of next year, perhaps? That’s not bad at all.

10-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Are you reporting a guy becauce he annoyes you? Seriously???
Wait, what? Are you serious?
Nobody reported him because he annoys us; but because he wrote this:
HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

And it's up to the mods to decide on an action - delete the post, warn the user, talk with the user, do nothing... nobody's asking for a public execution. If that's his way of joking... someone must tell him that it doesn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
If you decode his statement it is actually not unreasonable at the core, viz.
You cannot find truth in lies.
You didn't find truth in lies. What do you mean, to "run down"? Replaced, perhaps, but that's just the normal product lifecycle. You don't know anything about "more coop development". And, Pentax had their Vietnam (not Philippines! - that's where they make the cameras) lens factory since before Hoya.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-27-2017 at 05:16 AM.
10-27-2017, 05:32 AM - 3 Likes   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, these threads are the worst. A new, neat lens is released. A few idiots post and complain to the moon that it isn't made with powdered magic or isn't an f/0.9 constant aperture and 200 grams. Derail the whole thread. :/
10-27-2017, 05:37 AM   #277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
nice catch on the taped features, but best bet is a zoom lock to counter zoom creep;
could be a focus limiter (but for what? it's not a macro... and I doubt the focus throw on this lens is long)

something's up; the covered part on gold ring should indicate the filter thread size right? is it possible they're not even final with the optical formula for this lens?
(because the filter thread size might still change?)

10-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #278
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
77mm would be perfect, but optimistic. 82mm would be acceptable.
Anything more would be too big (for me).
10-27-2017, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Richoh announces the release of a new UWA DA* lens. You think everyone would be excited and happy about a new lens coming out. Instead we see people posting negative comments about things that have nothing to do with the release of new lens. Complaining about SDM motors failing is like a child complaining about there ice cream falling on the floor after the getting a new one. Stop your whining and move on. All lenses fail, it happens get over it. I am happy to see a new lens being released even though I have no intention in buying it. I have my Sigma 8-16 which is fine for me.
10-27-2017, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait, what? Are you serious?
Nobody reported him because he annoys us; but because he wrote this:
HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

And it's up to the mods to decide on an action - delete the post, warn the user, talk with the user, do nothing... nobody's asking for a public execution. If that's his way of joking... someone must tell him that it doesn't work.

You cannot find truth in lies.
You didn't find truth in lies. What do you mean, to "run down"? Replaced, perhaps, but that's just the normal product lifecycle. You don't know anything about "more coop development". And, Pentax had their Vietnam (not Philippines! - that's where they make the cameras) lens factory since before Hoya.
I’m suggesting reading and thinking about what someone wrote and avoiding emotive, confrontational words like “lies” when what is actually meant is “I think you are mistaken” or “I don’t agree”. It’s really very simple. The core of some (not all) of what the OP said is quite reasonable, if you think about it. Conjecture probably, just like most other posts here, but still reasonable. Some wasn’t, for sure, but that doesn’t invalidate all of it. Three new cameras coming up? Not bad at all.

The Pentax forum on DPreview has already been wrecked by aggressive, intolerant language. I’d rather it didn’t happen here. We may not agree but we can at least remain civil and avoid confrontational behaviour.
10-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #281
Pentaxian

But I don't think he is mistaken, nor is this a matter of disagreement; I know what he said is not true.

The Pentax forum and Pentax comments sections on DPReview has been wrecked by people bashing Pentax. They're having a fit right now, obviously unhappy with Pentax daring to announce the DA* and D FA*.
10-27-2017, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #282
Pentaxian

Has Snappertim ever posted a picture? He seems to be more of a lens repair type of guy.

But here's his track record...
QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
OK Lets look at what might occur at Photokina 2014, a few ideas from information gathered.
1 Pentax will launch a 12-28 f4 zoom lens to keep the APSC users happy. this lens is all ready made by Tokina so the rebranding to Pentax is no problem.
2 Pentax will launch a midrange in house designed and made zoom maybe a 16-60 f4 or f2.8 (24-90mm in 35mm) new SDM motor design.
3 the above two lens' will replace the current 12-24 16-50 and 50-135 as Tokina has ceased production and the current APSC user must be supported.
4 Pentax will launch a full frame camera, nothing radical here (when times are tough stick to what you know) the K1 will be a modified K3 chassis with a new condenser lens and mirror box (straight of the MZ-S), I think it will be 24mp, as 24mp is 24mp apsc or ff generated so no need for any hardware or software changes from the K3, grip will be unique to K1, but will not much changed from the current DBG-4/5 design.
5 Three full frame lens' will be announced at the same time 17-35mm f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 the last is the mysterious entry on the lens road map, all three are actually made by Tokina (two of the lens' are all ready in production, and Tokina have announced the 24-70 f2.8 and shown a production copy at CP+) all three rebranded to Pentax.
well that's my crystal ball gazing done
From 08-14-14
So his track record is pretty clear. Listen to what he says at your own risk. His hit rate is maybe 10%. What's scary is is hit rate remains about 10% even for information he should know before he says something, because it information that's out there.

I suspect he's a vender, probably a lot of refurbished second hand stuff,with quite a few Tokina lenses to sell, trying to tell folks they are just as good as Pentax lenses. Just based on an cursory reading of his biases, requests for repair information, and lack of photos.

But that's just my opinion, no facts. Given his track record there's no reason to give him a second thought. Anything he says is about 10 times more likely to be wrong than right.

You can almost use him a source. "Snappertim says it's so, so it has very little chance of being true."

Last edited by normhead; 10-27-2017 at 06:51 AM.
10-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... showing two (very nice, top end lenses) with definite launch times is a statement that they are still strongly committed to both crop and full frame k mount cameras.
Yes, showing commitment to the APS-C lens ecosystem seems a likely (and decent enough) reason to pre-announce like this...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
77mm would be perfect, but optimistic. 82mm would be acceptable.
Agreed. I also think more than 82mm is unlikely.

I don't suppose it's possible to tell (or eyeball) what is the filter thread on the prototypes at Photo-Plus? Guess they're under glass?
10-27-2017, 06:33 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
(...)

something's up; the covered part on gold ring should indicate the filter thread size right? is it possible they're not even final with the optical formula for this lens?
Not the filter thread size (it's on the other side of the ring) but all those fancy acronyms such as ED AL [IF] SDM/DC WR/AW and so on.
10-27-2017, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #285
mee
Veteran Member

It shouldn't amaze me but it still does.. just how easy it is to stir the fan base here into a frenzy. One guy posts something the defenders of Pentax don't agree with and the discussion goes sideways...

Just ignore the guy if his PoV bothers you so much.. you feed him by showing him an (emotional) response.
Closed Thread