Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does this mean we get a reprieve from the "Pentax never announces anything" complaints for a couple days?
Norm, that's probably the most over-optimistic post in this thread so far!

10-26-2017, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #167
Pentaxian

Yiiiiikes! Summer of 2018. Excited about the lens, but that is slooooow product development...
10-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
I was hoping that someone will release wide angle primes for K mount compact in size and weight, as example like new 15mm Voightlander (65mm length, 250g weight) but that obviously won't happened.
Irix which is not even close with its IQ is 110mm and 600g which is ridiculous. I don't give a fuc* for its fast apperture because my camera is mostly on tripod while shooting wide angle landscapes.
I am using Pentax for decades, waited long time for K-1, using it for 16months and made 0 really good landscapes ("money shots") because of inadequate wide angle lenses.
Old Pentax lenses wider than 24mm are hard to find and ones that I already have are not good enough. I also tried new Irix and Samyang/Rokinon lenses from 14 to 20mm but their IQ on K-1 is below average.
Despite the much lower resolution I had better landscape shots with K-5 + DA 12-24mm combo and that is frustrating.
On K-1 I had best results in landscaping with Pentax A 28mm f/2, very good IQ especially in pixel shift mode, but that lens is simply not wide enough for serious landscaping.
Cmon Ricoh, is it so hard to made one compact (limited) FF wide angle prime?
Yes, I will wait for a new crop body, if it will be a good combo with DA11-18 I will probably sell my K-1 because it is not usable for what it is primarily made - landscaping. At least for me.
Sorry Ricoh, but I'm not reach enough to have a chopper or caddy to take care of my D-FA lenses.
Why not simply get the most logical choice: the D-FA 15-30 ? For what we can see in other threads on this forum, it seems quite adequate for landscape photography...
10-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Why not simply get the most logical choice: the D-FA 15-30 ? For what we can see in other threads on this forum, it seems quite adequate for landscape photography...

One answer to that is "my wife will kill me." That thing is expensive. And she'd want to spend as much as me to keep things "even" so it would cost me darn near $5k CAD.

To date I'm happy with the "the K-1 makes everyone of your FF lenses better" thing.

---------- Post added 10-26-17 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Norm, that's probably the most over-optimistic post in this thread so far!
Ya, I like to dream big.

10-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Summer 2018 is perfect... need to save some money . I only hope the performance is there!
10-26-2017, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

Does this mean we get a reprieve from the "Pentax never announces anything" complaints for a couple days?
No. The whiners will now cry their eyes out on detail topics like "oh noooo it is 11mm, so sad. I would have bought it if it were 10mm" and "oh nooo costs more than a used last generation third party crap lens I found on flea market sold by some sleazy semi legal seller".

Why do you think suddenly grey matter would fill in spaces where there was only void before, just due to a product announcement?
10-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
I was hoping that someone will release wide angle primes for K mount compact in size and weight, as example like new 15mm Voightlander (65mm length, 250g weight) but that obviously won't happened.
Irix which is not even close with its IQ is 110mm and 600g which is ridiculous. I don't give a fuc* for its fast apperture because my camera is mostly on tripod while shooting wide angle landscapes.
I am using Pentax for decades, waited long time for K-1, using it for 16months and made 0 really good landscapes ("money shots") because of inadequate wide angle lenses.
Old Pentax lenses wider than 24mm are hard to find and ones that I already have are not good enough. I also tried new Irix and Samyang/Rokinon lenses from 14 to 20mm but their IQ on K-1 is below average.
Despite the much lower resolution I had better landscape shots with K-5 + DA 12-24mm combo and that is frustrating.
On K-1 I had best results in landscaping with Pentax A 28mm f/2, very good IQ especially in pixel shift mode, but that lens is simply not wide enough for serious landscaping.
Cmon Ricoh, is it so hard to made one compact (limited) FF wide angle prime?
Yes, I will wait for a new crop body, if it will be a good combo with DA11-18 I will probably sell my K-1 because it is not usable for what it is primarily made - landscaping. At least for me.
Sorry Ricoh, but I'm not reach enough to have a chopper or caddy to take care of my D-FA lenses.
Did you check the Laowa 12mm?

10-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
When product photos leak through this route, it’s normally about a month away from shipping. They will probably announce the exact ship date after a couple of weeks in a separate announcement.

I can only imagine you are thinking of the DFA 70-200 when you talk about a year delay. I think that was something more like a last minute recall. They had even sent them out to reviewers and I got to try a couple of copies at CP+.

Ricoh is quite good at shipping things they announce quickly these days.

---------- Post added 10-26-17 at 01:03 PM ----------

Actually, I just read the original post, and it says it came from an overseas source (i.e. not Japanese retail). It says they may be reference designs to be shown at Photo Plus. So what I said about being available in a month is not necessarily the case.
Market launch: planned for summer 2018

Almost a year away.
10-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #174
Veteran Member

One answer to that is "my wife will kill me." That thing is expensive. And she'd want to spend as much as me to keep things "even" so it would cost me darn near $5k CAD.
I totally understand this as I'm in the same situation as you.

But the poster I answered to has already spent more than what a 15-30 would have cost trying all kind of lenses ... He also seems willing to buy the 11-18, which might not be much cheaper than the 15-30 based on the fact that all other DA* zooms are 1000$+ lenses. So, I guess budget isn't much of an issue here...
10-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #175
ogl
Banned

DFA*85/1.4 will be on summer, 2019...I guess
10-26-2017, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
DFA*85/1.4 will be on summer, 2019...I guess
You are being pretty optimistic. We have not even seen a hollow plastic mock-up yet. We might see a 3D printed model by 2019.
10-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Many apsc users will rejoice when this lens becomes available.
10-26-2017, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You are being pretty optimistic. We have not even seen a hollow plastic mock-up yet. We might see a 3D printed model by 2019.
They just announced two lenses. And you're already whining about another one that they haven't announced. We didn't even get one day free of whining.

It's becoming clear, some folks just can't bring themselves to say even one positive thing about Pentax. It's just nag , nag, nag, bitch bitch, bitch.

There's a cure for that fortunately.

Is there some law about just not saying "Good job Pentax." that i don't know about?

You whiners can try as hard as you want to make something negative out of this, but this is a happy Pentax day, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You're just getting yourselves ignored,

A 50 1.4 with a ring motor, who saw that coming? I'm already envisioning in the grand kids basement taking shots of them doing gymnastics. I probably won't be able to afford it, but who cares, it's there if I decide i want it. Mean while the clowns are complaining about no 85 1.4 announcement, seriously, what's wrong with you people?

Last edited by normhead; 10-26-2017 at 08:53 AM.
10-26-2017, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Market launch: planned for summer 2018

Almost a year away.
I think it works like this:
  • Ricoh Imaging is a small company
  • Ricoh Imaging has a capacity constraint of lens grinding and coating machines, assembly tables and highly trained assemblers
  • Premium lenses are assembled only by the most experienced, highly trained assemblers
  • The most experienced assemblers (and associated assembly tables) are scheduled through spring, 2018 for another new ‘*’ (D FA*50/1.4) lens release and ongoing Limited and ‘*’ lenses production
  • The DA*11-18/2.8 has been greenlighted for production
  • The next available premium lens production slot permits a pre-release inventory build for summer, 2018 release
  • They’d rather announce the new product now, with a long production horizon, than lose marketing momentum by withholding the announcement

They’re Not CaNiSony

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2017 at 09:48 AM.
10-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Ugh! Oh man, I was really hoping they are gonna start shipping that DFA 50/1.4 so that those top most lenses will move. Pentax just made a great excuse for another year. But hey! It still good for me that I will not be spending my hard earned money for camera and lens update. More shooting for me until next year.
Closed Thread