Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aT0Mx Quote
I hope not, this would mean going to larger filter sizes, I don't want to have to go larger than Cokin P.
The filter thread is extended on these lenses for a reason. It keeps the filters from vignetting the image.

10-26-2017, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They’re Not CaNiSony
You mean "They’re Not CaNiSonyFujOlyPanasonic"

I'm glad they are announcing stuff. That alone is a big improvement. I'm sure they will be excellent lenses. Disappointed that they can't move products from design and development to store shelves at a faster pace.
10-26-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #198
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One answer to that is "my wife will kill me." That thing is expensive. And she'd want to spend as much as me to keep things "even" so it would cost me darn near $5k CAD.
Money is not a problem for me, my wife is getting much more money from my photography then I spend for a new lenses and other photo equipment.

Problem is that I did most of my landscaping while taking a long weekend tracks 20-40miles, usually in wilderness where food and even water is a problem to find.

This is a typical autumn scenario with DFA lenses included:
a) wide angle zoom or super wide prime, 1kg
b) normal zoom or 2 primes(wide and normal) 1kg
c) telephoto (70-200 zoom only) 2kg
d) macro lens 0,5kg
e) 2 bodies (FF and crop as a backup) plus grip 2kg
f) large carbon tripod 2kg
g) filters and holders 0,5kg
h) 4 batteries + power bank 1kg

By selecting DFA15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 my current backpack will be already full with that but I also have to carry some other things like:

i) 3 liters of water
j) 2 kg of food
k) sleeping bag 1,5kg
l) tent 3kg
m) additional clothes 3kg
n) additional shoes 1kg
o) all other things neccessary for camping and preparing food 4-5kg
p) walking sticks 0,5kg
r)Large backpack itself is around 2kg.

All in all with a few additional things it is 35kg of weight on my back&shoulders, probably in a large 80l backpack.

That is a typical setup for walking and climbing 20 miles/day and I have 2 problems:
1) It is too heavy for such a long walk where every kg matters
2) More important is that DFA Lenses are too big and I'll be forced to carry much bigger backpack than it is necessary and that is dangerous (for me and for the lenses) while climbing rocks or jumping over some obstacles especially at the end of the day when I am tired.

As a conclusion, my wife won't kill me, but my back will kill me for sure.
Also protection of those huge lenses while carrying them around in a backpack is a big problem also.
Two big lenses inside of backpack=trouble.

Best case scenario for me and long tracks in general could be
DFA 15 Limited WR for landscapes - doesn't exist
DFA 28-105 WR for walk - I have it
DFA 150-450 WR for wildlife - coming this xmass (replacement for Sigma because of WR)
DFA 100mm WR macro for flowers, plants and other details - I have it

Last edited by banep; 10-26-2017 at 11:07 AM.
10-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #199
Veteran Member

There are people who will absolutely not be happy regardless of what's released because of some little discrepancy between the reality of making a lens and their own wish list, regardless of whether or not it's a feasible feature for the lens to possess.

While I do wish the zoom range was a bit longer, maybe an 11-24 so it's more of a wide-normal, I'm still 100% ready to trade out my Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM that I just bought two months ago. A stop faster with Pentax coatings, Pentax colors, * lens rendering, and Pentax weather sealing is definitely 100% worth it for me to make the change. I'll need till summer to afford it anyway, and maybe we'll get a new aps-c flagship around the same time to go with it. If not, a KP and the 11-18 to go with my 20-40 Limited and 50-135, with the *200 and HD 1.4x TC I want to add will make me pretty damn happy with my system with maybe a portrait prime and a macro thrown in to finish it off.

---------- Post added 10-26-17 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Money is not a problem for me, my wife is getting much more money from my photography then I spend for a new lenses and other photo equipment.

Problem is that I did most of my landscaping while taking a long weekend tracks 20-40miles, usually in wilderness where food and even water is a problem to find.

This is a typical autumn scenario with DFA lenses included:
a) wide angle zoom or super wide prime, 1kg
b) normal zoom or 2 primes(wide and normal) 1kg
c) telephoto (70-200 zoom only) 2kg
d) macro lens 0,5kg
e) 2 bodies (FF and crop as a backup) plus grip 2kg
f) large carbon tripod 2kg
g) filters and holders 0,5kg
h) 4 batteries + power bank 1kg

By selecting DFA15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 my current backpack will be already full with that but I also have to carry some other things like:

i) 3 liters of water
j) 2 kg of food
k) sleeping bag 1,5kg
l) tent 3kg
m) additional clothes 3kg
n) additional shoes 1kg
o) all other things neccessary for camping and preparing food 4-5kg
p) walking sticks 0,5kg
r)Large backpack itself is around 2kg.

All in all with a few additional things it is 35kg of weight on my back&shoulders, probably in a large 80l backpack.

That is a typical setup for walking and climbing 20 miles/day and I have 2 problems:
1) It is too heavy for such a long walk where every kg matters
2) More important is that DFA Lenses are too big and I'll be forced to carry much bigger backpack than it is necessary and that is dangerous (for me and for the lenses) while climbing rocks or jumping over some obstacles especially at the end of the day when you are tired.

As a conclusion, my wife won't kill me, but my back will kill me for sure.
Also protection of those huge lenses while carrying them around in a backpack is a big problem also.
Sounds like you want a m43 system, or might benefit from being more selective from what you bring in to the wilderness. Maybe add a Sherpa?

10-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #200
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it works like this:[LIST][*]Ricoh Imaging is a small company

They’re Not CaNiSony
Pentax photo division was even smaller.
They had announced more lenses per year before...
10-26-2017, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #201
Veteran Member

* Actually, they they don’t exist for you and me. They exist for shareholders.
If companies don't care for the people who buy their products, then I doubt the shareholders will be happy in the long run.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you think I'm taking it personally you're wrong.
Well, good!

QuoteQuote:
It's all personal perspective, projected onto Pentax, that have nothing to do with Pentax and quite a lot to do with people's expectations of what Pentax should be.
This is true both for positive and negative comments.

We all have expectations/hopes of/for Ricoh because we bought their products, and (at least some of us, but I know that includes both you and me) we use them daily and hope to buy more products from them in the future. Personally, I certainly don't feel constrained to say just positive or just negative stuff about Ricoh or Pentax - I call it as I see it. This is neither fanboyism nor whining. It is opinion, and if you don't want to read opinion, you probably shouldn't be reading an Internet forum!
10-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@doundounba I didn’t write they don’t care about customers. I wrote they don’t exist for customers.

10-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #203
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Sounds like you want a m43 system, or might benefit from being more selective from what you bring in to the wilderness. Maybe add a Sherpa?
Noise level in shadows/night photos on m43 systems is not acceptable for me.
That is one of the main reasons why I switched from APS-C to FF, the other is using high ISO in low light photos. I use high ISOs a lot with 28-105 for handheld shooting to compensate for slow speed.

Last edited by banep; 10-26-2017 at 11:09 AM.
10-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
Best case scenario for me and long tracks in general could be
DFA 15 Limited WR for landscapes - doesn't exist
DFA 28-105 WR for walk - I have it
DFA 150-450 WR for wildlife - coming this xmass (replacement for Sigma because of WR)
DFA 100mm WR macro for flowers, plants and other details - I have it
So all you're missing is the next to be released UW lens (after the already announced DFA*85/1.4).

You seem really frustrated with Pentax and I don't see the reason for that if you take into consideration the already available third party UW lenses that are really great.

Take a look since you seem that haven't seen others' recomendations to you.

10-26-2017, 11:22 AM - 5 Likes   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not put off by the 'limited' number of new lenses, the long development timeline, the availability timing, or the absence of a new Pentax APS-C camera.

While Ricoh Imaging develops their products for sale, I'll make do what I did yesterday: hurry home from work, grab my antique K-3 II, mount my screw-driven DA* 50-135, and spend a blissful hour catching the last fading sun rays on colours in the trees on a local trail. Several nice 'keepers' = happiness.

I'll consider new gear when it becomes available. Until then, I'll enjoy what I've got.
10-26-2017, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA* 11-18 is excellent news. Finally something below 16 mm that will be AW!!!
10-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can see that people are clamoring for one of the lenses I suggested needs to be developed, the D-FA 18 WR Ltd.
10-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
So all you're missing is the next to be released UW lens (after the already announced DFA*85/1.4).

You seem really frustrated with Pentax and I don't see the reason for that if you take into consideration the already available third party UW lenses that are really great.

Take a look since you seem that haven't seen others' recomendations to you.

Irix 15mm 2.4 vs Laowa 12mm 2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm 2.8 - YouTube

Interesting, but there IS better place than this thread for such a test.
10-26-2017, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #209
Veteran Member

I had myself a good example of the Irix (left side slightly softer than right but manageable) and I was absolutely blown away by how usable it was from wide open. I think sometimes people expect to see detail from these lenses in 100% crops that you'd find in a 50mm lens.

The Irix was definitely a step above any wide angle I've used.
10-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #210
Pentaxian

The time of release 2018 seems to have cooled down this thread quite a lot.
Closed Thread