Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, I looked at the Canon Rumors and News. Seems to me, they may have more lenses in production, but are still faced with similar timelines. There were a couple with expected release dates late 2017 which have been changed to sometime 2018.

Honestly I’m looking forward to this lens. But with this announcement I think they’ll be announcing a new flagship APSC body soon.

10-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #212

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
I was hoping that someone will release wide angle primes for K mount compact in size and weight, as example like new 15mm Voightlander (65mm length, 250g weight) but that obviously won't happened.
Irix which is not even close with its IQ is 110mm and 600g which is ridiculous. I don't give a fuc* for its fast apperture because my camera is mostly on tripod while shooting wide angle landscapes.
I am using Pentax for decades, waited long time for K-1, using it for 16months and made 0 really good landscapes ("money shots") because of inadequate wide angle lenses.
Old Pentax lenses wider than 24mm are hard to find and ones that I already have are not good enough. I also tried new Irix and Samyang/Rokinon lenses from 14 to 20mm but their IQ on K-1 is below average.
Despite the much lower resolution I had better landscape shots with K-5 + DA 12-24mm combo and that is frustrating.
On K-1 I had best results in landscaping with Pentax A 28mm f/2, very good IQ especially in pixel shift mode, but that lens is simply not wide enough for serious landscaping.
Cmon Ricoh, is it so hard to made one compact (limited) FF wide angle prime?
Yes, I will wait for a new crop body, if it will be a good combo with DA11-18 I will probably sell my K-1 because it is not usable for what it is primarily made - landscaping. At least for me.
Sorry Ricoh, but I'm not reach enough to have a chopper or caddy to take care of my D-FA lenses.

I can understand you.
Just hope one day you have an opportunity....can't believe when i found a Zeiss 18mm ZK from a guy on a forum...for a good price - & certainly cheaper than the new 11-18mm... just a damn razor piece....good luck man, don't wait after Pentax, search on 3th party lenses or leitax solutions !
10-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Soon to be announced, together with the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW, according to Nokishita Camera, with the first two pictures.

【Rumour】Ricoh should announce "HD PENTAX-D FA★ 50mm F1.4 SDM AW" and "HD PENTAX-DA★ 11-18mm F2.8" shortly | Nokishita Camera

Edit (26 October):

Additional information from Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation's press release:

- one of the first two lenses developed for the new-generation of high-performance Star-series lenses optimized for super high-resolution photography and high megapixel DSLR cameras
- K-mount lens covering the image circle of an APS-C-format image sensor
- availability scheduled for the summer of 2018.
I think this will be an ideal new lens for landscape photographers. I only hope that the SDM is better than previous versions have been as I have had numerous issues with SDM on several of my DA* lenses. This size range has been needed for some time and it gives new life to APS-C users. Congratulations to Pentax for giving us a nice early Christmas present.
10-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #214
Pentaxian

The SDM is a new, ring-type motor.

10-26-2017, 02:19 PM - 7 Likes   #215
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nothing like a new product announcement to grow my Boriscleto™ list.
10-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The time of release 2018 seems to have cooled down this thread quite a lot.
Most of the companies making announcements right now are making them because they plan on shipping for the holidays so people get excited. These lenses "might" ship sometime next year.

Its good to know they are working on something. 10 years from now Ricoh will have a very impressive lens line up. Its something to look forward to.
10-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is a SDM lens... the question is, what kind of SDM?
The information presented states that the 50 is a new SDM but the 11-18 does not say this. I hope they both are new motors.

---------- Post added 10-26-17 at 02:55 PM ----------

Firstly, I am amazed at the number of responses to this announcement so quickly. Secondly, this is a lens that I have been waiting for and am very happy to see. I suspect many Pentaxians have added the Sigma 10-20 lens to their arsenal and this new product will be superior in two ways that most will appreciate: f 2.8 and AW. A very nice early Christmas present indeed, at least conceptually, since it looks like it will not be available until early 2018. This gives everyone time to save for this.

10-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do other companies offer a wr ultra wide zoom for crop sensors? Or is pentax the first?
10-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Do other companies offer a wr ultra wide zoom for crop sensors? Or is pentax the first?
Tokina seems to be the only one with an ultra-wide f/2.8 zoom for crop-sensor cameras.

Canon has a 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 and a 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Leica offers the 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5 for the TL mount.
Sony offers an E-mount 10-18mm f/4.
Nikon has a 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6
10-26-2017, 03:37 PM - 3 Likes   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Most of the companies making announcements right now are making them because they plan on shipping for the holidays so people get excited. These lenses "might" ship sometime next year.

Its good to know they are working on something. 10 years from now Ricoh will have a very impressive lens line up. Its something to look forward to.
That’s not helpful at all. The ANNOUNCEMENT Press Release directly states the D FA*50/1.4 will ship spring 2018 and the DA*11-18/2.8 summer 2018. You are promulgating contradictory, speculative, negative supposition with no knowledge or fact basis, expressly for the purpose of diminishing Ricoh Imaging In the minds of all readers of these threads. You should at worst qualify such statements as your speculative opinion; better you simply shouldn’t say this at all.
10-26-2017, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #221

Wow... miss reading the forum for a couple of days and look what crops up... 15 pages of discussion on a couple of new lenses.
Sorry but I have to laugh at the negativity. Some really good news on some pretty exciting new lenses - probably not in my budget but still... nice to know they might be available used in a few years.
And I have to comment on the idea that Pentax will have an impressive lineup in a few years.
They have a pretty impressive lineup now - depending on what you are looking for. Not everyone is waiting for * or limited lenses that cost as much as my first car. Pentax has some great glass in it's bullpen. Some of it older, but still impressive and able to take amazing shots if treated/handled right.
Am I excited that Pentax/Ricoh continues to release new offerings, and are developing top level lenses? you bet! Can I justify buying them new... not a chance. At least not right now... But it is really great to seem them continuing to develop new products. I love my two * zoom lenses (16-50 and 50-135) - so much that I have two of each (lol - my daughter has my second set). Hopefully sometime down the road I can grab the UWA - as that end of my lineup is quite weak. Best news in ages (and yes, I am waiting for the next generation apsc body to be announced - would love to upgrade my k5, and am still cautious about FF since the majority of my best lenses are crop...).
10-26-2017, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There's nothing like a new product announcement to grow my Boriscleto™ list.
Unfortunately, you can’t reply to what you can’t see .
10-26-2017, 04:00 PM - 6 Likes   #223
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
Sorry but I have to laugh at the negativity.
I'm not laughing, Mholford!

I guess the Internet allows people to post FUD - they would say it's their democratic right or some such - but even minded forum members should be appalled. Very distasteful to read it in a website built for lovers of the brand.
10-26-2017, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not laughing, Mholford!

I guess the Internet allows people to post FUD - they would say it's their democratic right or some such - but even minded forum members should be appalled. Very distasteful to read it in a website built for lovers of the brand.

I agree, it is quite sad. You would think people would be more positive instead of negative. The worst part is the 15-30 and the 24-70 seemed to tarnish the brand a little bit because of those being tamron designs with pentax flare. Now people ask if any and all new lenses are rebadged lenses, even the question gets asked about the 70-200.

10-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #225
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I agree, it is quite sad. You would think people would be more positive instead of negative. The worst part is the 15-30 and the 24-70 seemed to tarnish the brand a little bit because of those being tamron designs with pentax flare. Now people ask if any and all new lenses are rebadged lenses, even the question gets asked about the 70-200.
Yeah, FCsnt, that's often ignorance, though.

I don't mind that ... only someone not very well read doesn't understand the real world is full of collaborative products.

Canon make a big deal of doing their own sensors, but their premium 1" compacts would be using the one from their rival Sony. Sony call on Cosina and Tamron for lens design and manufacture. Leica rebadge Panasonic bodies, Hasselblad did it with the Sony A99. Samsung happily rebadged Pentax bodies and lenses. Leica had the FA43 made for them. Zeiss contributed their 28mm f2 to Pentax as part of a deal. Tokina got to resell the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, putting the DA12-24 back our way. Tamron provide the 18-270, 15-30 and 24-70, and if Pentax wanted three successors to the small FA Limiteds they could just immediately commission their SP primes. I'd have no problem with it, but they've chosen to go their own way on this one with a line of larger Star lenses from the ground up.
Closed Thread