Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 09:05 AM - 5 Likes   #301
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - let's draw a line under the arguments and bring the thread back on topic, please? Otherwise, there's not much point to keeping it open.

Thanks in advance

10-27-2017, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This is not your home.
You're insisting way too much with this nonsense. I won't put Snappertim on the ignore list for now, but I'll put you.
Aaand... you're gone. And it's over (sorry, Mike, should've done that from the beginning).
10-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #303
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Folks - let's draw a line under the arguments and bring the thread back on topic, please? Otherwise, there's not much point to keeping it open.

Thanks in advance

Thank you.
10-27-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Attached Images

10-27-2017, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #305
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

10-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
What I always find interesting is not what they are hiding, but why they are hiding it, and why they do it in such a crude way (esp name of K-1). Do they not want competitors to know the specs, do they not want us to know, or are they just as yet undecided? The lens looks quite finished - more so than the 50mm mock-up as first shown, so it's unlikely to be up for a major redesign. Anyway, not really important, but it's hard not to be curious about things you don't understand
Another possibility is that the lens is not as finished as all that; I mean, they have announced it pretty early. Is it possible that they re-used existing parts for some of the mock-up and they are covered up to avoid inaccuracy of what the lens will be like? I'm thinking more of the large tape on the side which is concealing the lens badge, as opposed to the gold ring, which might have no additional information under it.
10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought about this fine looking lens: (and questions) ...

For someone, like me, who does not have a UWA lens as wide as this one but having the DA 15 Ltd, would it be a "wise" choice vs. opting for a Sigma 10-20 ?
I don't have a K-1 ... "just" APS-C (K5, K3).

10-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #308
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

For someone, like me, who does not have a UWA lens as wide as this one but having the DA 15 Ltd, would it be a "wise" choice vs. opting for a Sigma 10-20 ?

I owned and used the 10-20 for years. It is competent.. but it lacks weather sealing.. plus it is a little slower. The speed never mattered to me though since I always stopped down to f/8 or f/11 anyways since I shot landscapes with it.

I think you have to weigh what is more important to you.

Do you need this lens now? Get the Sigma
Do you need weather sealing? Wait for the Pentax
Do you need the faster aperture? Wait for the Pentax
Are you more price conscious? (total guess but.. its a DA*) Get the Sigma
10-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #309
Pentaxian

Well, if you shoot outdoors the new lens will have weather sealing and if you shoot indoors it will have faster aperture. It will probably outclass the Sigma optically too. There are still many unknowns (weight, filter size, price), but for me I have the Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 and I find F/5.6 at the long end a little limiting. I will definitely be considering this lens and I'm still tempted by the DA15 to have a light, mind-controlling alternative...
10-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, I want to say yes, before we've seen a single review or sample shots. Cross-frame IQ is going to be better, I think, than the 10-20. There may be times where the brighter max aperture comes in handy. The hardware quality & ruggedness seems almost assured to blow the Sigma out of the water. AF performance will probably be somewhat better.

You loose a mm on the wide end which is nothing to sneeze at. You loose two at the long end which I think will be less noticeable. I think I would have a hard time getting excited about the Sigma once this lens is available. I could see someone keeping the Sigma 8-16 after this lens shows up but a lot of the other stuff out there now isn't of much interest save for cost (assuming the buyer is shooting crop and not full frame, obviously).

Short version: I think very much so as long as you can justify whatever they want to charge.
10-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #311
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I plan on trading my sigma 10-20 f3.5 for this lens when it's released. Like I said earlier, it's a stop faster and weather sealed. I shoot a lot of northern lights in the winter and living in Alaska I like not having to mind the weather so those features are important to me. Add in Pentax glass, coatings, rendering, etc and for me it's worth it. I'd rather have a couple really nice lenses vs a lot of (relatively) inexpensive but comparatively inferior lenses personally.
10-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #312
Veteran Member

i also have the 15 limited, and a tamron 10-24. after i got the limited, the tamron gathers dust. for landcapes i do not really need less than 15mm. but i live in germany where the weather is mostly bad, and this new lense would be perfect because of wr, and because of the f 2.8, i could also use it indoors.

i see these two lenses beying my entire kit because i mostly shoot wide. lets just hope i dont have to sell a kidney.

but thats just me, you might be better of with the sigma... bit that is something youb have to decide, or try. why not just buy it until the pentax gets out, and if you do not like it, sell it with a small minimal loss. you have nothing to lose
10-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this lens is a great addition to the APS-C K mount line up. So wide, and WR! This is great.
10-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #314
Pentaxian

^ I think that's the thing some are forgetting. The DA* lenses have great optics & are weather sealed. Attach a DA* lens to a recent weather sealed Pentax APS-C & you can pretty much shoot anywhere on this planet. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.
10-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I owned and used the 10-20 for years. It is competent.. but it lacks weather sealing.. plus it is a little slower. The speed never mattered to me though since I always stopped down to f/8 or f/11 anyways since I shot landscapes with it.

I think you have to weigh what is more important to you.

Do you need this lens now? Get the Sigma
Do you need weather sealing? Wait for the Pentax
Do you need the faster aperture? Wait for the Pentax
Are you more price conscious? (total guess but.. its a DA*) Get the Sigma
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, if you shoot outdoors the new lens will have weather sealing and if you shoot indoors it will have faster aperture. It will probably outclass the Sigma optically too. There are still many unknowns (weight, filter size, price), but for me I have the Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 and I find F/5.6 at the long end a little limiting. I will definitely be considering this lens and I'm still tempted by the DA15 to have a light, mind-controlling alternative...
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
You know, I want to say yes, before we've seen a single review or sample shots. Cross-frame IQ is going to be better, I think, than the 10-20. There may be times where the brighter max aperture comes in handy. The hardware quality & ruggedness seems almost assured to blow the Sigma out of the water. AF performance will probably be somewhat better.

You loose a mm on the wide end which is nothing to sneeze at. You loose two at the long end which I think will be less noticeable. I think I would have a hard time getting excited about the Sigma once this lens is available. I could see someone keeping the Sigma 8-16 after this lens shows up but a lot of the other stuff out there now isn't of much interest save for cost (assuming the buyer is shooting crop and not full frame, obviously).

Short version: I think very much so as long as you can justify whatever they want to charge.
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
i also have the 15 limited, and a tamron 10-24. after i got the limited, the tamron gathers dust. for landcapes i do not really need less than 15mm. but i live in germany where the weather is mostly bad, and this new lense would be perfect because of wr, and because of the f 2.8, i could also use it indoors.

i see these two lenses beying my entire kit because i mostly shoot wide. lets just hope i dont have to sell a kidney.

but thats just me, you might be better of with the sigma... bit that is something youb have to decide, or try. why not just buy it until the pentax gets out, and if you do not like it, sell it with a small minimal loss. you have nothing to lose
I am in no rush, really so this can wait and, of course, allowing me to get some funds as well.
Weather sealing is important because of the region where I live: wet, humid in the summer and windy pretty much year round. I also do quite a bit of winter photography, so again weather sealing would be a "must".
I tend to take the 15mm Ltd only when I am sure weather permits.
One of my daughters owns a Sigma 10-20, great images taken with that and her K3, but she doesn't use it when it's raining, too windy (dust), etc ... so I take the advice from her as well.

Thanks for the replies, folks! Appreciated !
Closed Thread