Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 309 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You cannot find truth in lies.
Speaking generally, the best lies are the ones with truth at the starting point.

As mecrox points out, there are several of those embedded in the post in question. The foolish assertion of Ricoh's controlling interest in Tamron isn't one of them.

Besides, the conclusion that this is the last APS-C lens from Pentax is clearly nonsensical, as it is a wild extrapolation from the starting point, as with the claim that it is a Tamron design. I was watching Peter Sellers playing Inspector Clouseau last night, and his logic was far more convincing.

Regardless of its origins (I suspect pure Pentax, but I don't care that much) this lens should be one to watch.

10-28-2017, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #332
Pentaxian

Rob, I promised Mike I won't discuss this any further. Sorry.
10-28-2017, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing which makes or breaks this lens for many of us is: will it work on the K-5 family? I can live without screwdrive on new glass - that ship has not only sailed but now lies torpedoed at the bottom of the Marianas Trench - but lack of KAF4 capability on what is still a very good body continues to vex many of us.

The money is in the glass, people; that's what keeps a lot of us coming back. Please do something about it.

The question of whether it will cover the full frame is moot - I don't know of any DA zoom that does, and I expect this one to be no different. But we may get extra usable space beyond the APS-C or square crop that would make shooting in full a worthwhile thing, especially for those of us who post-process everything.
10-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax will likely never abandon APS-C, for what it's worth. Their main strategy to compete with mirrorless is to provide compact crop DSLRs.
That is good news Adam! I am happy, I know a big portion of what they are doing now is getting more options out for full frame.

10-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The question of whether it will cover the full frame is moot - I don't know of any DA zoom that does, and I expect this one to be no different. But we may get extra usable space beyond the APS-C or square crop that would make shooting in full a worthwhile thing, especially for those of us who post-process everything.
DA*60-250 is near to FF - keyword „baffle removement“ and DA18-135 is far away. I’m one of the guys who uses DA lenses in FF mode (not with DA18-135) and if needed does cropping in post. I even use DA15 in Square Mode and apply dark corner crop in post. If this DA*11-18 lens is as near to FF as the DA55-300PLM this lens is an option for me. 82 or 86 mm filter thread could be an indicator for that. If in addition it weights less or around 600g it would fit my low level demand for FF use. I’m very curious about it and it’s price.
10-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #336
Veteran Member

If you're buying a new ultra wide for a K-1, there's already a 15-30 that covers the format. An 11-18 in crop mode is going to have the same field of view, and judging by the price of the other DA* lenses it'll be the same or similarly priced. Other than weight and LBA I'm not sure what you'd be gaining on the K-1...
10-28-2017, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #337
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to a comparison of this lens and my Sigma 8-16. With WR, and if it's sharper, although that's hard to believe that would be true with that lens. I did buy the DFA macro WR, even though I had the Sigma 70 macro, just for the WR, and the fact that this is a DA* probably puts it head and shoulder above whatever else is out there in terms of construction etc.

10-28-2017, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
If you're buying a new ultra wide for a K-1, there's already a 15-30 that covers the format. An 11-18 in crop mode is going to have the same field of view, and judging by the price of the other DA* lenses it'll be the same or similarly priced. Other than weight and LBA I'm not sure what you'd be gaining on the K-1...
DFA15-30 weight - 1040g, price in Germany 1.699,- €. Both I don't like to wear. Of course price will be high for the DA*11-18 - but we'll see how high.

K-1, lenses plus other equipment are really heavy on trekking tours. So APSC is something I don't dump. Because my K-5 doesn't fully support the new mount that my 55-300PLM already offers I'll for sure buy a KP or a successor in the future. So the DA*11-18 fits perfect in my future plan.

What else do I gain with this lens on FF?

The same what I gain from my other DA lenses. Extrem angles of view in both dimensions width & height. By example in Square Mode ... I know I'm thinking a bit unusual.
10-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Other than weight and LBA I'm not sure what you'd be gaining on the K-1...
Ability to use the lens! Neither of my other DSLRs is KAF4 compatible.

Right now I don't really need it - I have a 17mm film-era lens that is more than wide enough for my wildest dreams - but it would be nice to have in mind as a possibility if my wife ever says "Splurge on something for yourself" (which occasionally she does, bless her).

---------- Post added 28-10-17 at 15:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
DA*60-250 is near to FF - keyword „baffle removement“
It still requires modification, but I accept that the mod is easy to do.
10-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #340
Banned

DFA15-30 weight - 1040g, price in Germany 1.699,- €. Both I don't like to wear. Of course price will be high for the DA*11-18 - but we'll see how high.

K-1, lenses plus other equipment are really heavy on trekking tours. So APSC is something I don't dump. Because my K-5 doesn't fully support the new mount that my 55-300PLM already offers I'll for sure buy a KP or a successor in the future. So the DA*11-18 fits perfect in my future plan.

What else do I gain with this lens on FF?

The same what I gain from my other DA lenses. Extrem angles of view in both dimensions width & height. By example in Square Mode ... I know I'm thinking a bit unusual.
DFA15-30 is a big pig, too big and too heavy.
If Ricoh needed 18 months for 50mm prime that full frame uwa prime from a lens map will come probably somewhere around 2030.
If DA11-18 will be good I'll sell my K-1 and buy new APS-C body.
Regarding its weight and price I'm expecting half weight, half price of DFA15-30 something like 550g and 899€.
10-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
DFA15-30 is a big pig, too big and too heavy.
If Ricoh needed 18 months for 50mm prime that full frame uwa prime from a lens map will come probably somewhere around 2030.
If DA11-18 will be good I'll sell my K-1 and buy new APS-C body.
Regarding its weight and price I'm expecting half weight, half price of DFA15-30 something like 550g and 899€.
Price for DA12-24 is 799,- € today. It would be great if DA*11-18 price would be 899,- €. But I don‘t believe. Don’t forget it‘s a *-Lens, AW, f2.8 and filter thread seems to be >= 82mm.
10-28-2017, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rob, I promised Mike I won't discuss this any further. Sorry.
OK. I can't resist a good semantic discussion, especially when I'm still a bit jet-lagged.
10-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm looking forward to a comparison of this lens and my Sigma 8-16. With WR, and if it's sharper, although that's hard to believe that would be true with that lens. I did buy the DFA macro WR, even though I had the Sigma 70 macro, just for the WR, and the fact that this is a DA* probably puts it head and shoulder above whatever else is out there in terms of construction etc.
I guess with more than 1 stop light comming in compared to the Sigma, this Pentax zoom will also be of better convenience for night photography.
But as i prefer daytime landscaping, while not needing WR for this kind of exercise, i will prefer keeping the already very good and wider Sigma.
10-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I guess with more than 1 stop light comming in compared to the Sigma, this Pentax zoom will also be of better convenience for night photography.
But as i prefer daytime landscaping, while not needing WR for this kind of exercise, i will prefer keeping the already very good and wider Sigma.
At the wide end, there's nothing to touch the Sigma, but it's a damned heavy piece of glass to add to your backpack, so mine tends to stay at home much of the time. That's one of the criteria that will determine whether this new Pentax lens goes on my shopping list, or not.
10-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #345
Banned

Price for DA12-24 is 799,- € today. It would be great if DA*11-18 price would be 899,- €. But I don‘t believe. Don’t forget it‘s a *-Lens, AW, f2.8 and filter thread seems to be >= 82mm.
First 899€ is my bet, we'll see was that a good one or not, but everything below 999€ is acceptable for me.
Second that DA12-24 for 799€ is most overpriced Pentax lens. I bought it second hand in 2012 when new one was ~ 650€. Based on my expirience with that lens I thought that 650€ was overpriced and then they decided to raise price on that lens to 850€ which was insane for lens with average optics and below average mechanics and materials. Quality of plastic and rubber is the worst I saw on modern Pentax lenses, also Lens is not sharp wide open and have very noticable amount of CAs.
Closed Thread