Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #346
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rob, I promised Mike I won't discuss this any further. Sorry.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
OK. I can't resist a good semantic discussion, especially when I'm still a bit jet-lagged.
Thank you, both

10-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The thing which makes or breaks this lens for many of us is: will it work on the K-5 family? I can live without screwdrive on new glass - that ship has not only sailed but now lies torpedoed at the bottom of the Marianas Trench - but lack of KAF4 capability on what is still a very good body continues to vex many of us.

The money is in the glass, people; that's what keeps a lot of us coming back. Please do something about it.

The question of whether it will cover the full frame is moot - I don't know of any DA zoom that does, and I expect this one to be no different. But we may get extra usable space beyond the APS-C or square crop that would make shooting in full a worthwhile thing, especially for those of us who post-process everything.
Actually I would've bought the new 55-300 PLM lens if it worked on my k-5II. I bought my camera last February 2, 2014. To me it's still new and the shutter count is still low. It's a great piece of equipment to just simply leave on the shelf and replace with a new one. I wish there will be a way that we will be able to use kAF4 lenses someday. I also like this lens. If it can be sued on my k-5II, it would replace my sigma 10-20.
10-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #348
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Actually I would've bought the new 55-300 PLM lens if it worked on my k-5II. I bought my camera last February 2, 2014. To me it's still new and the shutter count is still low. It's a great piece of equipment to just simply leave on the shelf and replace with a new one. I wish there will be a way that we will be able to use kAF4 lenses someday. I also like this lens. If it can be sued on my k-5II, it would replace my sigma 10-20.
I completely understand why those with older model cameras would appreciate the KAF4 functionality... I still shoot a GX-10 / K10D and K-5 (the K-5 has a higher shutter count, but the GX-10 is in the low thousands), and I would like it for those bodies too. However, there are plenty of lens choices available for the older cameras, and Ricoh has to draw the line somewhere... either because of technical limitations, or simply to encourage purchase of newer bodies. It is, after all, a business trying to be profitable
10-28-2017, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I'm really honest, I'm okay with getting cut off from these new lenses that utilized the KAF4 mount (I know it's just one today but I am sure that will change) as this is what will allow new tech to actually reach our hands. I'm using a K-5 II and I'll just have to suffer through using the existing 55-300's instead of the PLM version. Hardly a deal breaker for me. Honestly I doubt anyone is really that upset about this.

10-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did I miss the brief which stated this will have a KAF4 mount?
None of the other DA* or DFA* lenses use it, so I'd be surprised if this one does.
10-28-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I completely understand why those with older model cameras would appreciate the KAF4 functionality... I still shoot a GX-10 / K10D and K-5 (the K-5 has a higher shutter count, but the GX-10 is in the low thousands), and I would like it for those bodies too. However, there are plenty of lens choices available for the older cameras, and Ricoh has to draw the line somewhere... either because of technical limitations, or simply to encourage purchase of newer bodies. It is, after all, a business trying to be profitable
More to the point, they can't sit around waiting for the last non-KAF4-compliant camera to fail before reaping the benefits of KAF4 {the Super Program I purchased in 1984 is still going strong}
10-28-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Did I miss the brief which stated this will have a KAF4 mount?
No! On the contrary, in the prototype photos (see the very first post in this thread) you can clearly see a little aperture lever sticking out at the bottom right of both shots. (This lever can't be seen on the D-FA 50mm pics.) I doubt this is just happenstance.

Judging by those pics, it's fairly certain that this lens won't be KAF4. This is just a prototype and things could still change of course, but some people just seem intent on panicking unduly.

10-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
No! On the contrary, in the prototype photos (see the very first post in this thread) you can clearly see a little aperture lever sticking out at the bottom right of both shots. (This lever can't be seen on the D-FA 50mm pics.) I doubt this is just happenstance.

Judging by those pics, it's fairly certain that this lens won't be KAF4. This is just a prototype and things could still change of course, but some people just seem intent on panicking unduly.
In general, they haven't pushed KAF4 forward as I had expected them to do.

I am particularly surprised they haven't taken two obvious steps:

(1) create a KAF4 version of the 18-55mm lens

(2) create a KAF4 patch for the K-30.

If they took those two steps, they would be in a much stronger position when people complain about the aperture-control issue with their lower-priced bodies, and reduce whatever hindrance that issue causes to K-70 purchases..
10-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I believe that this is a business and I accept their decision. Yes, it pushes people to buy new cameras and lenses. However, as I have stated, My k-5II is still up and about. It's fairly new and the camera's age is only over 3 years old with a shutter count at only about 11000+. Noting Pentax's AF, I would like to compensate on the lens speed. If they can fix it, it will open up my choices to the newer lens models. Then I can slowly grow into the system by adding kAF4 lenses and then upgrading bodies in the future.

I guess I have my own kinks and quirks. I have a k-3II and the kAF4 will work on it. But I always practice standardization. One of my requirements is that all lenses and all accessories must work on all my cameras. Well, I think it's just me.
10-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
More to the point, they can't sit around waiting for the last non-KAF4-compliant camera to fail before reaping the benefits of KAF4 {the Super Program I purchased in 1984 is still going strong}
If not the K5 then why the K50 is the general flavour of the complaint, and even if I were not a K5 owner they would have my sympathy.
10-28-2017, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If not the K5 then why the K50 is the general flavour of the complaint, and even if I were not a K5 owner they would have my sympathy.
Is there more than one Pentax KAF4 lens? Is the issue those K-5 owners want the PLM focusing motor in the DA55~300 PLM?

If so, the issue isn't KAF4.
10-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #357
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is there more than one Pentax KAF4 lens? Is the issue those K-5 owners want the PLM focusing motor in the DA55~300 PLM?

If so, the issue isn't KAF4.
Yep. There are real problems, then there are storms in teacups, then there is KAF4.
10-29-2017, 12:40 AM   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. There are real problems, then there are storms in teacups, then there is KAF4.
The problem isn‘t the focusing motor. The 55-300PLM focuses on K-5. The problem is aperture control because it‘s electromagnetic. If you always want to shoot open aperture there is no issue.

Off topic but fit to the point of "no aperture control" - did anyone use a spotting scope like Pentax DF-80 ED Digiscoping)? I saw some awsome images in "fine art printer 04/2015" (german magazine) using such a lens. If so it would be great to have a thread about such.

Last edited by acoufap; 10-29-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added the digiskopie question
10-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #359
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The problem isn‘t the focusing motor.
I know what the problem is, and it currently involves *one* lens that Pentax has ever produced.

There are *three* other versions of the crop 55-300 zoom. It's not the end of the world.

Pentax is famous for legacy lens support. Legacy body support is another issue altogether. Most newer lenses don't work with older film bodies.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-29-2017 at 01:37 AM.
10-29-2017, 01:46 AM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is famous for legacy lens support. Legacy body support is another issue altogether. Most newer lenses don't work with older film bodies.
that's a good point - and I say also that they are also constantly faced with the conflicting pressure to improve AF speed, which is partly down to lens design - and they have partly handicapped themselves in this by the policy of backwards compatibility
Closed Thread