Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Did I miss the brief which stated this will have a KAF4 mount?
None of the other DA* or DFA* lenses use it, so I'd be surprised if this one does.
It sure doesn't look like a KAF4 lens. That said, there does reach a point where Pentax needs to design lenses for the future -- even if it makes them not backwards compatible with older generations of cameras.

We Pentaxians tolerate, even love our screw driven lenses. They probably have significantly better longevity than lenses with motors built into them, but we need to be honest and realize that when folks who are used to other brands silent focus lenses pick up a Pentax camera many are annoyed by the screw drive sound.

I don't see the point of deliberately creating lenses that obsolete past cameras, but if there are reasons to make improvements that past hardware can't run then Pentax should do it, even if folks still shooting with K10s and K5s might not be able to shoot with them.

10-29-2017, 03:47 AM   #362
Pentaxian

I believe cameras as old as The K-50 have been updated to KAF4. The K-3 also. By the time Pentax has a lot of KAF4 lenses the K-5's K-30's and older will be seriously outdated. It would be more problematic when Ricoh would take out mechanical aperture and AF drive support from new camera bodies in a future KAF5 specification. That would depracate virtually all lenses. (so it won't happen unless there is a mirrrorless body, but that will have a new mount anyway.
10-29-2017, 03:50 AM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know what the problem is, and it currently involves *one* lens that Pentax has ever produced.

There are *three* other versions of the crop 55-300 zoom. It's not the end of the world.

Pentax is famous for legacy lens support. Legacy body support is another issue altogether. Most newer lenses don't work with older film bodies.
It really isn't a problem or a very little one.
It will become one *if* they start using KAF4 everywhere including e.g. DFA*50 and other DFA*. How big a problem is an open matter though.

I'll get a K-1 or successor. Dunno when but will. I intend to keep the K5 though and would be annoyed not to be able to use'em on K5 too.
10-29-2017, 04:23 AM   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I believe cameras as old as The K-50 have been updated to KAF4. The K-3 also. By the time Pentax has a lot of KAF4 lenses the K-5's K-30's and older will be seriously outdated. It would be more problematic when Ricoh would take out mechanical aperture and AF drive support from new camera bodies in a future KAF5 specification. That would depracate virtually all lenses. (so it won't happen unless there is a mirrrorless body, but that will have a new mount anyway.
I remember some claims about the K-1 not having an in-body AF motor, a while back. IRL, though, Pentax keeps the AF motor even in their cheapest cameras.
I'd say we are safe for a while

As for the cameras, every DSLR they introduced since 2013 (inclusive) are KAF4 compatible. This isn't bad at all.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-29-2017 at 04:28 AM.
10-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #365
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Legacy body support is another issue altogether.
It wouldn't be an issue if the entire K-5 family tree suffered the same hung-out-to-dry syndrome. But for the K-50 to be given a KAF4 update and the flagship camera from which it is derived to miss out is peculiar to say the least. It wouldn't bother me at all if I found out that something had been introduced on the K-50 that made it possible, which wasn't on the 5/5-ii/5-iis. But until that issue is clarified - and as far as I know it has not been - us K-5 owners will continue to feel more than just a little bit annoyed and perplexed.

KAF4 is clearly the future. I just hadn't anticipated both my APS-C bodies to be relegated to the distant past so soon.

(And as for legacy support on film bodies, the Super Program will drive a DA lens in Tv and P modes. All you have left to contend with are the focus and the image-circle issues.)
10-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #366
Pentaxian

How about Nikon introducing incompatible cameras after their first electronic aperture F-mount lenses?
I'm still a K-5IIs owner (which now sits unused). But I'd rather have them work on the current cameras, than on a refresh of a model launched in 2010.
10-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #367
Pentaxian

how many k-5 owners who haven't spent to the money to upgrade to a newer camera are suddenly going to start purchasing dfa* lenses with kaf4? still, i suppose it would be cheap and easy for ri to make a firmware upgrade.

10-29-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't want Ricoh to spend any money on man hours to get KAF4 working on the K-5 series and I own a K-5 series camera that I have no intention of leaving. I want that money spent on new lenses, new ways for cameras to communicate with other equipment, and new ways to connect with how owners use the equipment. This is just my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

I also don't want them to rework existing lenses like the 18-55 to be a KAF4 mount or use PLM focusing unless it either aids in producing a good product for the same or less cost, or if it brings real benefits to the user. The guy that uses the kit lens does not care about .1 sec faster focusing or saving a couple ounces.
10-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #369
ogl
Banned

In 2010/2011, Ricoh killed Pentax's plan to roll out advanced APS-C zooms and more ltd primes, and a retro-styled DSLR. That DA wide-angle zoom that will come only next year now, was planned and done ages ago by Pentax team.

Last edited by ogl; 10-29-2017 at 08:11 PM.
10-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #370
Pentaxian

Do you know this, or it's only supposition?
I'd say the latter, as Ricoh took control in October 2011 - and any sort of strategy wasn't probably formulated until 2012.

And by the way... "these lenses will become the first two models of the new-generation Star series. While retaining existing design concepts, the series underwent a drastic review of in-house standards, especially on resolving power." - doesn't look like an old design.
10-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #371

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It wouldn't be an issue if the entire K-5 family tree suffered the same hung-out-to-dry syndrome. But for the K-50 to be given a KAF4 update and the flagship camera from which it is derived to miss out is peculiar to say the least. It wouldn't bother me at all if I found out that something had been introduced on the K-50 that made it possible, which wasn't on the 5/5-ii/5-iis. But until that issue is clarified - and as far as I know it has not been - us K-5 owners will continue to feel more than just a little bit annoyed and perplexed.

KAF4 is clearly the future. I just hadn't anticipated both my APS-C bodies to be relegated to the distant past so soon.

(And as for legacy support on film bodies, the Super Program will drive a DA lens in Tv and P modes. All you have left to contend with are the focus and the image-circle issues.)
There may be a ROM/FW preventing them from updating the K5 series, but sometimes forward compatibility can't be planned for.

My 16-85 won't AF on my K100D. At some point, technology has to move forward. Ex. screwdrive is a nice relic, but it literally sounds terrible, slow, and I'd just rather not anymore, the difference between the 16-85 and nifty 50 is just extraordinary. IMO, Pentax shouldn't be using the SDM designation on the new lenses either, DC and PLM gave a me a written notice that I have something different than the 16-50 motor for example.

I've also had the aperture block replaced twice in my K3, first time was my fault, but mechanical linkages are prone to physical damage, not just electrical failure. If Pentax can move towards a Canon-like all electrical aperture/focusing system, I'm down with that.
10-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first flagship camera that forces me to stop-down meter an FA*300/4.5 is the camera right after the last one I’ll buy.
10-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #373

Just over at First look at upcoming Pentax 'star series' lenses and silver edition K-1: Digital Photography Review -- they claim the switch "appears to be for optical image stabilization." Perhaps Pentax is planning to remove IBIS switches from future bodies so it has to be controlled on the lens!
10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
- they claim the switch "appears to be for optical image stabilization." Perhaps Pentax is planning to remove IBIS switches from future bodies so it has to be controlled on the lens!
This is just speculation and they admit that it is improbable.
10-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Just over at First look at upcoming Pentax 'star series' lenses and silver edition K-1: Digital Photography Review -- they claim the switch "appears to be for optical image stabilization." Perhaps Pentax is planning to remove IBIS switches from future bodies so it has to be controlled on the lens!
"This would be a bit odd, given that Pentax's DSLRs are stabilized in-body but could point towards hybrid stabilization. The alternative explanation (and probably more likely) is that it's either a zoom lock or simply a vestigial bump which will be removed in shipping lenses."
Closed Thread