Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #16
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It will be very funny if Pentax will show only DA*55, DA*60-250, new case for DA limited and MAYBE K2000D in body of K200D.

I see the migration to D700 from Pentax...It's sad...
Pentax (<4% market share) is the only DSLR manufacturer with 2 cameras available!
Of course Pentax has more DSLRs than Panasonic, if this means something...
Of course some will say that K20D is enough, but certainly this is not the way global economy works, for players who want to survive and stay alive, unless Hoya has other plans for Pentax-branded products-dSLRs, manufacturing plants, marketing plans, *future* plans etc..

include
{
Canon 50D, 40D, 1000D, 450D, 5D, 1DsIII, 1DIII
Nikon D90, D700, D300, D60, D3, (D3x)
Sony A300, A350, A200, A700, (A900)
Olympus E520, E420, E3, E510, E410
Panasonic L10
}
I really hope Pentax comes out with their new APS-C and FFs dSLRs this year, otherwise their market share will decrease even more. Hoya corporate management as well as Shareholders most certainly are keeping a very close eye to Pentax marketing share and viability!

br
Sam

08-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lets be honest...Pentax is a big step ahead of the competitors on a few fronts...mostly body construction quality and IQ/sensor technology and image stabilization @ a very low price point. Canon and Nikon are playing catchup, in terms of their release date. They're both 6 months behind in bringing a competitive product to market...and while the canon 50D, maybe the D90 may out-do the K20D on a number of fronts, they're playing catchup.

Pentax will do what it did with the K20D, and (eventually) bring another camera out of the woodwork that will be ahead of the competition in their usual terms of build quality and IQ. Lets say (for argument's sake) the new Pentax/Samsung camera is a D700 competitor...the pentax release would have 90% of the capibilities with 66% of the cost hitting a different market. It will either force competition to drop prices on existing models to compete (thus reducing profits) or force them into R&D to bring another product to market.

That's what I see as the pentax marketing strategy...use aggressive pricing to hit the competition in the gaps between their product lineups. The tight lipped approach keeps the competition on their toes.

**All "just for fun" examples...I don't care to speculate on upcoming technology...I use what I have and that's fine for me.
08-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #18
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote
all these lemmings jumping ship because there is no announcement about a new top-line camera and many comments come from those who do not have the K20D
Some (especially those who don't have it) say: "K20D has no soul, has no mystic"

Radu
08-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #19

It will be very funny if Pentax will show only DA*55, DA*60-250, new case for DA limited and MAYBE K2000D in body of K200D.

No leak because Pentax has good bladder control.

08-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Some (especially those who don't have it) say: "K20D has no soul, has no mystic"

Radu
Shouldn't the photographer provide the soul? And for a mystic camera... not sure that would help a lot getting a good picture...

One thing's perhaps not so clear from my previous post... I love my K20D and I cannot see myself parting with it unless for a Pentax camera that will expand on the K20D's design...

Wim
08-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #21

I mean that it's in Pentax's interests to make any leaks...If they really have something new.
The only new products from Pentax so far have been P & S Optio cameras. That is usually the case for most camera makers. When it gets closer to the big show, then DSLR cameras will start to show up. So far we have no DSLRs yet from Olympus, Sony and Pentax. Canon is saving its best for last: the 5D MKII will probably be announced a week prior to Photokina. Pentax will likely announce its DSLR cameras and/or lenses a week or two prior to Photokina. And so will Sony. Not sure if Olympus or Sigma has anything to announce. Leica may bring out a full frame DSLR. We shall see.
08-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I mean that it's in Pentax's interests to make any leaks...If they really have something new.
I don't think so. In Pentax present position, they'd better surprise (if that's even possible) the other brands rather than warning them on what they plan on doing.

Canon is finaly responding to Pentax with its 50D, it was time (for them). I don't think they would have done that if Pentax was still alone. Now Pentax has Hoya to boast it and I think other brands noticed and or somewhat scary of what Hoya-Pentax might do. Hoya has loads of money.

It doesn't mean anything tremedous will happen, but if I was Canon, I wouldn't wait for the surprise (if any).

08-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
Canon is saving its best for last: the 5D MKII will probably be announced a week prior to Photokina.
The canon 5D succesor or the Canon 5D successors ? (well those from the rumours I mean )
08-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

No Leak or Nothing New?

I agree. If there is nothing significant and important, where comes the "leak"?
08-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The canon 5D succesor or the Canon 5D successors ? (well those from the rumours I mean )
Its Sept 17, according to the news from canonrumors.com
08-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Back to Reality and Facts..

I don't think so. In Pentax present position, they'd better surprise (if that's even possible) the other brands rather than warning them on what they plan on doing.
What's "surprise"? Whats the benefit of doing so? Hey, the PHotokina is coming, close!

QuoteQuote:
Canon is finaly responding to Pentax with its 50D, it was time (for them). I don't think they would have done that if Pentax was still alone.
50D is the answer to D300, not K20D. Just comparing the specs, there is nothing the K20D could compete, except *just* for the pixel count.

QuoteQuote:
Now Pentax has Hoya to boast it and I think other brands noticed and or somewhat scary of what Hoya-Pentax might do. Hoya has loads of money.
Hoya has lot of money, but they don't allow and tolerate Pentax to lose too much money, especially for the Pentax camera division who have got poor sales and got much loss:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Hoya Reported Net Loss in Running Pentax and Overall Profit Declined

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Hoya to Liquidate Pentax Factory in China

QuoteQuote:
It doesn't mean anything tremedous will happen, but if I was Canon, I wouldn't wait for the surprise (if any).
In fact, there is no need for Canon to pay any attention to Pentax, who is indeed a neglectible "player" or "competitor" to them. Their true rival is Nikon.
08-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
In fact, there is no need for Canon to pay any attention to Pentax, who is indeed a neglectible "player" or "competitor" to them. Their true rival is Nikon.
Great, let them fight it out. We have a saying in the Netherlands which translated is like: "if two dogs have a fight over one bone, the third dog will take it and run"

In the meantime, Pentax can continue like it has done before: bringing out good but relatively low cost bodies with an unique set of features. Let's not forget about the lenses, Pentax still has a lot to offer in the primes department. Everyone is complaining about lenses > 300mm but they won't produce new superteles if there's no market for them. Simple as that.

Just leave Pentax alone... I'm sure they know damn well what they must do and how and when. It's up to Hoya now, and all talk here and in other forums about new models etc. is worth nothing. Again, like we are saying in NL: it's just only a lot of baked air
08-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #28
Banned

I knew it was only a matter of time before rice high chimed in and agreed with ogl.
08-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #29
Sam

Canon is finaly responding to Pentax with its 50D, it was time (for them). I don't think they would have done that if Pentax was still alone.
Do you have any idea about CANON's 2007 annual financial report?
In 2007 consolidated net sales rose 7.8% to ¥4,481.3 billion (41.06 billion $) and net income climbed 7.2% to ¥488.3 billion (44.74 billion $).
This is more than a small country's annual budget!!

You honestly believe that Canon Corp. even cares about what Pentax is doing? LOL
Of course Pentax used to be a very innovative and respected company back in analogue years, but today is a different story.

I hope that this year Pentax will prove to Hoya's corporate management / shareholders that they have/cando what it takes to remain under their corporate umbrella!

br
sam
08-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Quote
Do you have any idea about CANON's 2007 annual financial report?
In 2007 consolidated net sales rose 7.8% to ¥4,481.3 billion (41.06 billion $) and net income climbed 7.2% to ¥488.3 billion (44.74 billion $).
This is more than a small country's annual budget!!

You honestly believe that Canon Corp. even cares about what Pentax is doing? LOL
Of course Pentax used to be a very innovative and respected company back in analogue years, but today is a different story.

I hope that this year Pentax will prove to Hoya's corporate management / shareholders that they have/cando what it takes to remain under their corporate umbrella!

br
sam

your fancy numbers are leaving out the fact that canon makes most of its money from scanners, printers, ink, etc. that didn't all come from camera sales. in fact only a small portion did. :ugh: and YES canon does very much care what Pentax is doing. so does nikon and olympus and sony and everyone else. you are a fool if you think they don't.