Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #46
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you were using total sales to prove camera dominance I called you out. second you are talking about 2007 numbers, it is 2008 going on 2009. thirdly I said fool once and I stand by that if you think they don't care. how does once=habit?
"you were using", "dominance", "I called you out." , "thirdly I said fool once "
WOA!! Cool!
Cool-out dude. This is just numbers!!! LOL!!

'nough said. I go take my K10d to take some pictures
Looking forward to any leaks from Pentax..
c u
sam

you are talking about 2007 numbers, it is 2008 going on 2009.
PS. LOL! FYI go check the FinancialTimes to learn when ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORTS are published

08-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The reality is that Canon and Nikon don't care what Pentax does...
Pentax can compete with Olympus and Sony, in Japan market ...Not in the world.
are you saying that just to get me to say 'fool'? what evidence do you have to base this 'reality' on? I dont get how some of you think that Pentax is so small and insignificant that nobody worries about them. and I don't get how some of you believe that the big companies just because they are bigger don't worry about any and all competition.
08-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteQuote:
PS. LOL! FYI go check the FinancialTimes to learn when ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORTS are published

yea for those looking to invest money. these numbers don't represent current sales and market share thus are of no relevance to this particular discussion. unless you are a big investor looking at which company to invest in?
08-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I want to buy FF camera.
I'd like to see 135/1.8, for example.
Pentax will not bring out a FF camera just because your lens selection (in your signature) is FF only.

Don't be disappointed if the FF Pentax is in fact the 645D

08-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #50
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Quote
Do you have any idea about CANON's 2007 annual financial report?
In 2007 consolidated net sales rose 7.8% to ¥4,481.3 billion (41.06 billion $) and net income climbed 7.2% to ¥488.3 billion (44.74 billion $).
This is more than a small country's annual budget!!

br
sam
Sam,

If they really make 3,7 billion dollars more profit than sales I guess the printing business comes with some benjamins ... printed in house?
BTW, Hoya made around 200M profit last quarter so maybe 700-800M this year. And pls don't make me get big brother Samsung to smash yout tiny Canon corp.

br to you too,
Radu
08-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Big corp will leak so their users do not jump ship, you will agree that e.g. Pentax/Oly/Pana do not need leaks to jump ship to Canikon, isn't it?

Pentax has no benefit from leaking in advance, absolutely none.

QuoteQuote:
there is nothing the K20D could compete, except *just* for the pixel count.
But pixel count is the biggest marketing argument. Add in weather sealing (which is near non existent in the 40D) and LiveView.

QuoteQuote:
Hoya has lot of money, but they don't allow and tolerate Pentax to lose too much money, especially for the Pentax camera division who have got poor sales and got much loss:
As did the others. Moreover, much loss from Pentax are due to reorganization as stated by Hoya, of course you chose not to point to this.

QuoteQuote:
In fact, there is no need for Canon to pay any attention to Pentax, who is indeed a neglectible "player" or "competitor" to them. Their true rival is Nikon.
Of course there is. Competitors come back when you don't pay attention. Canon does and that's part of their strength.
They did not pay attention enough to Nikon and Nikon kicked them hardly in the balls. They react but late for 50D introduction, VERY late for 5Dmkii introduction.

In this Canon is (but should be more) like Intel in CPUs market, they care about rivals even if supposedly they are not a threat. A couple years ago, Intel did not see AMD Athlon coming and regretted it big time. A good corp crushes the little ones if they can. That's what there are here for.
08-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
"if two dogs have a fight over one bone, the third dog will take it and run"
Great Dutch proverbs

08-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Silence does not mean a company is about to fold. I think in the case of Pentax, it is part of their marketing strategy.

If Photokina was not this year, then yes I expect we would be seeing "leaks" and "new product buzz"

But Photokina is this year. I expect that Hoya/Pentax are using it to make the bigest impact they can. So, no news leading up to the show, then BAM. Everything new to see at the booth.

Personally when I go to a trade show, I care about the products that I have never seen before. I want to see the new stuff first. I expect the news people are the same way. Why go fight the crowd to see the D90 of the 50D (both anounced already), when you can fight the crowd to see what the buzz is at the pentax booth. At least there you will see something new.

As for all you "Pentax is Dead" people...

Remember corporate reports are only part of the story. Companies "bend" them for many reasons. I'm not a finacial guru. I just know they are not the fianl word, or the full story.

If Pentax was about to go tits up, why would we have seen:

* Aliance with Samsung (HUGE companies will not waste time with a company with no future)
* Hoya bought Pentax (they saw an undervalued company, and bought it. I expect they are right and pentax will be profitable)
* Distribution deal with Walmart (A huge retailer. It might be the greatest retail force in the USA right now)
* Corporate re-shuffle of Pentax (profitable Hoya, adjusts Pentax to the Hoya Business model, how is this bad?)
* New third party Lenses (why would Carl Zeiss bother if the brand is dead?)

So if in four weeks, the Pentax booth at PhotoKina is a single card table, in the back corner, with a lone spotlight on the "new" 60-250 lens, then yes, Pentax is dead. And, Walmart, Samsung, and Hoya would have all made a big expensive mistake.

And to close my little rant, how about a baseless prediction?

"The Takumar name is used as Hoyas new brand for its third party lens line" SMC Takumar for your 50D or D90 anyone?

Eric.
08-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Quote
Do you have any idea about CANON's 2007 annual financial report?
In 2007 consolidated net sales rose 7.8% to ¥4,481.3 billion (41.06 billion $) and net income climbed 7.2% to ¥488.3 billion (44.74 billion $).
This is more than a small country's annual budget!!

You honestly believe that Canon Corp. even cares about what Pentax is doing? LOL
Of course Pentax used to be a very innovative and respected company back in analogue years, but today is a different story.

I hope that this year Pentax will prove to Hoya's corporate management / shareholders that they have/cando what it takes to remain under their corporate umbrella!

br
sam
Your numbers are a little off. Net income was $4.47 billion. Watch those decimal points.
08-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #55

but u'll still have to get adapter to use k lens...any such adapter? can you reverse the 645 to K adapter and use that? but then u still need a male 2 male adapter to connect 645 end to the body and then another female to female for the k end...ouch my brain hurts LOL
08-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ignore List

I knew it was only a matter of time before rice high chimed in and agreed with ogl.
Ignore List
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #57
Pentaxian

IMO this is exactly what they will do for the time being ...
08-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Actually, RiceHigh has presented some pretty good info in the link he posted which says:

"While Canon managed to retain its leading global position, its 2007 growth rates in Western Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific were in the single digit, compared to other top-tier vendors in those respective regions. Part of the issue is an increase in competition from Nikon in the dSLR space, but the larger issue rests on repeat buyers looking for more camera at less of a price in years' past."

Pentax fits the last sentance perfectly!
08-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I would be the opposite of disappointed, assuming its price is in line with most companies FF cameras, and not in line with most MF cameras. I doubt hoya will do that though.
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
And, Walmart ... would have all made a big expensive mistake.
and how is it a mistake for Walmart ? W*M even will not notice if canon, nikon and pentax will disappear altogether the next day.