Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
24X36NOW and wiyum, what I find interesting is that you have come to different conclusions, yet both conclusions are not mutually exclusive to one another, which is one of the things I like about Pentax.

You have the superb old lenses. A cursory look at the [insert lens lineage here] club threads in the SLR Lens Talk, and one can be sold on that, knowing full well how little one would have to pay to get those studs. An excellent case for the enthusiast who doesn't have much to spend.

On the other hand, Pentax also has a good lineup of currently in-production lenses. The FA Limiteds are very highly regarded, evoking comparisons to Zeiss primes, and dubbed by some grizzled photography veterans as some of the best AF lens ever. Even the lower-end zooms are optically excellent. And really, the pancake lenses are unparalleled in their combination of form factor and optical qualities. Oly's 25mm is a good, but unsuccessful attempt at a pancake lens (I'm not that okay with it's performance vis-a-vis the 40mm 2.8).

Basically, whichever side you are, be it the scrounger for lenses cheaper than $100 - that would be me, or the moneyed serious enthusiast/pro (those who can afford FA*s at this point in time), there's a case for you to at least take a look at Pentax. And that's what's interesting about Pentax.

Perhaps one could also make a case for Nikon with regards to their lenses, but not all Nikon bodies can meter for the older lenses. Pentax makes it a point to be able to use old lenses on all bodies, be it entry-level or semi-pro.
Wow, what a great post! Even though we are a "minority," users of old lenses are still present. I'd be pissed if I couldn't use the FA* lenses or such, similar to how Canon just "sold" FD L and SSC lenses and then switched to EF mount.

"Sorry, you have to buy new lenses...your old ones don't work!" I wish the internet were as big then as now...those would have been fun times to witness.

09-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Wow, what a great post! Even though we are a "minority," users of old lenses are still present. I'd be pissed if I couldn't use the FA* lenses or such, similar to how Canon just "sold" FD L and SSC lenses and then switched to EF mount.

"Sorry, you have to buy new lenses...your old ones don't work!" I wish the internet were as big then as now...those would have been fun times to witness.
Thanks!

Oh man, if the internet was booming already back then, the resulting feeding frenzy over at DPR (especially the News Discussion forum) about the lens mount change would be huge! Amazing invention, the internet is.

I'm just thankful that Pentax still makes all their DSLRs fully functional with their older lenses. It's a boon for a lot of folks who's enthusiastic about photography, but with limited funds. And with the newer bodies, you even get SR. Talk about good value.
09-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #213
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Thanks!

Oh man, if the internet was booming already back then, the resulting feeding frenzy over at DPR (especially the News Discussion forum) about the lens mount change would be huge! Amazing invention, the internet is.

I'm just thankful that Pentax still makes all their DSLRs fully functional with their older lenses. It's a boon for a lot of folks who's enthusiastic about photography, but with limited funds. And with the newer bodies, you even get SR. Talk about good value.
Well said . Pentax should NEVER give up the tradition of being the most flexible SLR system (mostly regarding camera/lens compatibility) on the market , especialy the camera bodies (which should be able to be well used with lenses manufactured since the '40 (M42) and with any K pentax bayonet in any possible and manufactured version). A SLR system is based on lenses and not on the camera.
Next is Nikon (but less their entry-level cameras) then cames Canon & Sony/Minolta and the last is Olympus.
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #214
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
SLR Roadshow - PENTAX Europe GmbH

SLR road SHOW in Germany from September, 12 till December,13

09-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Well said . Pentax should NEVER give up the tradition of being the most flexible SLR system (mostly regarding camera/lens compatibility) on the market , especialy the camera bodies (which should be able to be well used with lenses manufactured since the '40 (M42) and with any K pentax bayonet in any possible and manufactured version). A SLR system is based on lenses and not on the camera.
Next is Nikon (but less their entry-level cameras) then cames Canon & Sony/Minolta and the last is Olympus.
I don't know why you put Olympus last, since Canon and Minolta (now Sony) screwed their customers every bit as badly, i.e., if you have old manual focus glass from any of them, it can't be used on their current cameras. That's one of the biggest reasons that if Pentax doesn't produce a full frame dSLR, it'll be Nikon, not Canon or Sony, that gets my business. Camera makers that are willing to spit in the faces of their entire customer base shouldn't get anyone's business!
09-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #216
Forum Member

Honestly, Oly has some of the best lenses available because they were engineered specifically for the 4/3rds system. Olympus has some absolutely stunning lenses and overall one of the best lineups as far as quality and range. That is one of the benefits of making lenses for a single system and standard.
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #217
Inactive Account

Olympus leses are expensive and they have less primes that Canon/Nikon/Pentax. More, Oly cameras have a cmaller viewfinder so they are not the best solution for manual focusing. For me even Pentax's primes are too expensive so I use manual focus lenses made by Pentax, Cosina, etc. and the kit lens (the only DA) and a tele FA zoom. Except the DA I can use the oters on film camera havinf this way a Pentax full frame without any incomatibility. More, I used the DA in film camera and it doesn't show the vignette between 25 and 55 mm. So it's a cheap wide - normal lens but darker than a prime.
My Pentax film cameras are manual focus ones because the AF camera's were too expensive for me. Which system offers the same compatibility lens-camera and camera-lens (on a K1000 can be used a FA AF lens without any problem and the kit lens - or any other K Pentax bayonet lens - from the K1000 ca be used on a Pentax dSLR) ?
A superior than K20D and a K2000D an inferior camera than K200D would be a nice move from Pentax. This way the pentaxians would have more from where to choose. More quick and more "power" in the flag-ship and less features in the smallest K2000D and an even smaller price for the camera to be even more affordable the the K200D.
For the moment K20D and K200D offers the best quality (&features)/price rating than any other camera brand (dSLR). For that price which camera offers you shake-reduction, weather-sealed body, metal body (platic covered), top LCD, 11 focusing point (9 cross-type), big bright viewfinders (K20D especially) - BTW, Pentax cameras has the biggest viewfinder among the APS-C sensor cameras see Digital SLR Viewfinders: Size, Magnification, Coverage, Crop , vertical grip availabe for both, AA/R6 batteries for K200D (for me it's great - the cheapest and the most common "power source" ) and other features present only on a Pentax dSLR , all in one body ???
I like the cameras Pentax makes, very much.

09-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's true ! I didn't switch to Eos that time and not to digital Eos later, because of this treachery...

I hope someone will bring out an adapter for Canon FD lenses... I still have my 85mm f:1.2 L and a superb 20mm f:2.8, waiting for this moment...
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I don't know why you put Olympus last, since Canon and Minolta (now Sony) screwed their customers every bit as badly, i.e., if you have old manual focus glass from any of them, it can't be used on their current cameras. That's one of the biggest reasons that if Pentax doesn't produce a full frame dSLR, it'll be Nikon, not Canon or Sony, that gets my business. Camera makers that are willing to spit in the faces of their entire customer base shouldn't get anyone's business!
This is contradictory...Sony could get your business even though they screw their customers?

And what if Pentax builds the "holy grail" FF and doesn't make it backward compatible, since they're starting/rumoring to remove screwdrive AF (as an example)? "SOL" would be a tame term since I don't want to offend anyone.
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
That's true ! I didn't switch to Eos that time and not to digital Eos later, because of this treachery...

I hope someone will bring out an adapter for Canon FD lenses... I still have my 85mm f:1.2 L and a superb 20mm f:2.8, waiting for this moment...
Keep waiting for the new Micro system of cameras from Panasonic/Samsung...the Pan has a register distance of 20mm so it may be possible with an adapter. Only time will tell
09-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #220
Veteran Member

That would be bad news

Leaks on a camera we hope to be sealed
09-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #221
Veteran Member

More, Oly cameras have a cmaller viewfinder so they are not the best solution for manual focusing.
Oly E-3 has the same viewfinder size as *istDs / K10D / K20D
I've checked it by myself.
09-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
Oly E-3 has the same viewfinder size as *istDs / K10D / K20D
I've checked it by myself.
Well, you have to re-check... because the Oly E-3 has a smaller viewfinder: Digital SLR Viewfinders: Size, Magnification, Coverage, Crop

Last edited by Lazar; 09-14-2008 at 06:54 AM.
09-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #223
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Well, you have to re-check... because the Oly E-3 has a smaller viewfinder: Digital SLR Viewfinders: Size, Magnification, Coverage, Crop
Yes, and it's more close to K100D/K200D/*istDL and it's a semi-pro camera (the E3) not an entry-level like the Pentax cameras. That link is a good one

Here is a comparison between some film/digital SLRs Fotomozaic.ro - despre si pentru fotografie . Even the viewfinder of the MZ-S can not compete with the one found on the MX (the Oly E-300 and 350D are far far away).
For me the Pentax viewfinders are the best
09-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Well, it's not true... E-3 viewfinder size is very similar to K20D, but it covers 100% and seems to be bigger because it is higher (different aspect ratio).
http://danny.id.au/photography/equipment/dslr-viewfinder-sizes.html
09-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #225
Veteran Member

This is contradictory...Sony could get your business even though they screw their customers?
When did I say that? Perhaps you misread.

And what if Pentax builds the "holy grail" FF and doesn't make it backward compatible, since they're starting/rumoring to remove screwdrive AF (as an example)? "SOL" would be a tame term since I don't want to offend anyone.
Autofocus? We don't need no stinkin' autofocus, man.