Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #226
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
And what if Pentax builds the "holy grail" FF and doesn't make it backward compatible, since they're starting/rumoring to remove screwdrive AF (as an example)? "SOL" would be a tame term since I don't want to offend anyone

as far as I understand it they are removing screw driven AF from the lens designs, I have heard of nothing about removing it from the camera itself, thus retaining backwards compatibility. besides a FF pentax would most definitely have screw driven AF. it would be a necessity to be taken seriously as a 'pro' camera despite the recent surge towards sonic wave focusing.

09-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
Canon and Minolta (now Sony) screwed their customers every bit as badly[out of manual lenses]
+
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW:
it'll be Nikon, not Canon or Sony, that gets my business. Camera makers that are willing to spit in the faces of their entire customer base shouldn't get anyone's business!
QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
When did I say that? Perhaps you misread.
Notice the use of Canon and Sony in both quotes, from the same statement?

In the same way you can't say "I won't drive a Toyota, but unless Chevy gives me the hybrid I want, I will."
09-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #228
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To revisit the title... Not even interested in being in the game...
Introduction: Photokina 2008 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
Come on Pentax... How embarrassing you don't have a section let alone a few entries to your name!
09-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
My K20D's and Pentax lenses do the job for me and very well for that matter...Nuff said.

Ben
I just wish I were worthy of my K20D

09-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #230
Veteran Member

I know we have not heard about potential new kit, Pentax are following Canon's lead.
I spoke to a major camera seller here in the UK about this very subject a few weeks ago (Warehouse Express in case you are interested). Anyway, it is Canon's philosophy to ensure that any new releases are kept schtum. When a product is ready to release (for instance the recent 50D), the contact their reps to get to the office for midnight on a given day, with no other information apart from that. Then and only then, will they announce the new product to the reps, at the same time as releasing the press release to the world. As with the 50D, the press and the reps were caught off guard with the product.
Nikon appear to now doing the same (D90), and i am now sure that Pentax are doing the same. This is to ensure that no leaks are forthcoming prior to annoucing to the world.
I will presume that Pentax will do this just prior to Photokina, and announce the day before the show, of the new kit that is coming out.

However, it is nice to speculate on what is coming out though
09-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
PS: the fact that everybody continues referring to the 135format as FF is just proof of the fact that they don't fully know what it is...
I always thought that full frame was 120/220 and that 35, 126, and 110 formats were the original cropped formats
09-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #232
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
I always thought that full frame was 120/220 and that 35, 126, and 110 formats were the original cropped formats
When the first DSLR came to life it was using a 35mm body like. The lenses were those from the 35mm legion. The sensors yes they were crop size sensors, based on 35mm format size. When we say FF we mean exactly 35mm format, because that's where the DSLR came from.
As for 120/220 being FF, I'd rather think of 6"x9" as being Full Format, not 6x6mm or 6x7mm. This of course is a pure academic discussion that would lead to nowhere.

Good DX, 73
Rui
ct1dnj

09-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
To revisit the title... Not even interested in being in the game...
Introduction: Photokina 2008 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
Come on Pentax... How embarrassing you don't have a section let alone a few entries to your name!
You mean embarrassing for Pentax... or rather for DPReview?
09-16-2008, 03:49 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
120/220 are also cropped formats, when compared to large film plates.
09-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Good DX, 73
Rui
ct1dnj

and 73 to you , OM.
ZR1SG
09-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #236
Veteran Member

That's annoying....

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I know we have not heard about potential new kit, Pentax are following Canon's lead.
I spoke to a major camera seller here in the UK about this very subject a few weeks ago (Warehouse Express in case you are interested). Anyway, it is Canon's philosophy to ensure that any new releases are kept schtum. When a product is ready to release (for instance the recent 50D), the contact their reps to get to the office for midnight on a given day, with no other information apart from that. Then and only then, will they announce the new product to the reps, at the same time as releasing the press release to the world.
Midnight which timezone???

Annoying pratice, first you have to be at work at midnight and that is enough reason to come to work later on the next day but oh, no, the press starts calling at 8 a.m..
09-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #237
Veteran Member

Hi,

Check this new ad banner from PENTAX

digitalkamera.de -- das Online-Magazin zur Digitalfotografie

Regards,
09-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #238
Inactive Account

I don't see anything new. It's been there for ages ... the blacked-out body.
09-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #239
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
and 73 to you , OM.
ZR1SG
tnx hpe cuagn om
73 ar k
09-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #240
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes, they most certainly do. There are entities within Canon corp. who's basic reason for existing are to worry about the camera competition - P&S, Video, and DSLR. Now, mostly that's Nikon, but believe me, people would be fired if Pentax came out with something new and Canon wasn't able to respond because Pentax was being 'ignored'. People generally don't want to get fired.

Do these guys look to you, like they care about Pentax?
Are we talking about the same company, Canon?
Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies: Digital Photography Review
Canon 24mm f/1.4 L II USM lens: Digital Photography Review
Canon PowerShot G10: 15MP & 28mm wide: Digital Photography Review
Of course we shall know better next week, when we see Pentax response to FF Canon, Nikon, Sony etc..
A lot of people might get fired! LOL