Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What Mo said. I would have bought the new DA200/2.8 if it had an aperture ring. I want to use this lens on film bodies and I was hoping it would be a D-FA version.

02-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The 300mm sounds nice to me because of the (half-stop) faster aperture, but I could care less about the 200mm. It's so easy to make for full-frame that Pentax should be ashamed for releasing it as a DA lens (unless, of course, it'll still cover the entire 35mm image circle).

Of the zooms, the 16-50mm is definitely nice. The others feature strange ranges that I don't really like to deal with.

IMO the 35mm is also a mistake- and why not just continue the FA series...
Why wouldn't they be 35mm coverage, the fact is that at longer focal lengths and faster speed the gains made by reduced images circles dwindle to the point of none existence for example the Zuiko 300 f2.8 for 4/3rds is actually heavier then the canon 300 f2.8 for 35mm, the canon lens is smaller as well. Logic would dictate that the lens for the smaller format would be smaller but it isn't, so the size gains can be fairly well ignored at anything longer then about 150mm in focal length, and anything faster then f4.

Finally the onme good thing about the 35mm MACRO is the fact that many of us have 70mm of extension tubes, add them to a 1:1 35mm macro and you get some magnification
02-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
What makes you say they are not using metal in lens design anymore. they DA Limiteds are metal. Are the new DA* lenses a composit or something???
thanks
Brendan, I think they are talking about the glass, ie. leaded glass. I know there has been some talk that the EU will not allow the amount of lead that was in the old FA lenses.

NaCl(but I don't think anyone knows for sure)H2O
02-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #34

These are good news indeed! I will not be able to afford one, but I find that 35 mm is exactly what I want when I shoot portraits. I would have preferred it one stop faster though, to be able to use natural lighting to a much higher degree. But at the end of the day, the lens is probably not within my budget anyway. (oh, dreamers always dream on)

For anyone in the know: Will you be able to tilt and shoot the flash upwards, like with more expensive models?

02-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Well I don't think there is any justification for pentax to further produce lenses with aperture rings anymore (unfortunately).

Midway through the MZ series starting with the MZ-30, they took out the "stop-down coupler" on the K Mount to reduce costs. Known as the "Crippled KAF or Crippled KAF2"

This pin (about 2 o'clock postion on the K Mount) rests on a spring loaded ring underneath the mount and inserts into a cavity on the underside of the lens. This pin mechanically tells the camera what aperture is currently set.

Pentax cameras made after 1997 don't have that stop down coupler so any aperture ring will be a nostalgic kinda thing/maintaining Av and M function with older film camera bodies. (Maybe electronically implemented in the future like the 4/3rds D Leica 14-50?)
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well I don't think there is any justification for pentax to further produce lenses with aperture rings anymore (unfortunately).

Midway through the MZ series starting with the MZ-30, they took out the "stop-down coupler" on the K Mount to reduce costs. Known as the "Crippled KAF or Crippled KAF2"

This pin (about 2 o'clock postion on the K Mount) rests on a spring loaded ring underneath the mount and inserts into a cavity on the underside of the lens. This pin mechanically tells the camera what aperture is currently set.

Pentax cameras made after 1997 don't have that stop down coupler so any aperture ring will be a nostalgic kinda thing/maintaining Av and M function with older film camera bodies. (Maybe electronically implemented in the future like the 4/3rds D Leica 14-50?)

What about the MZ-S, It has to have a aperture ring to set apertures and that didnt come out till 2000?
Now it will work with app-less lenses, but only in shutter or program, You cant set the aperture. I always wish they would some how upgrade it to be able to do this.
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
What about the MZ-S, It has to have a aperture ring to set apertures and that didnt come out till 2000?
Now it will work with app-less lenses, but only in shutter or program, You cant set the aperture. I always wish they would some how upgrade it to be able to do this.
Yes please! Sign me up for this feature! Please please please.
02-28-2007, 01:39 AM   #38
wll
Veteran Member

For Me ..

I will buy their line up over time, as I feel Pentax is now on a mission to make products for the simi or pro market. These lenses (along with their K10D and their introduction of a Medium Format camera) the prove that they are moving in the right direction.

wll

02-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well, the MZ-S was among the last of its kind. MZ-30/50/60, *Ist 35mm, *Ist Digitals, K Digitals all have crippled KAF/KAF2 mounts and it looks to remain that way as they've now also abandoned the FA series lenses. All changes of aperture are now conducted via the camera.