Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

PMA: DA*200/300 SDM, 35mm Macro ltd, New Flash!

Updated: Here's the official Press Release:
Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release

triple_kazier found this new Pentax Press release:

Akam.no - Nye objektiver, digitalt mellomformat og blits fra Pentax

200mm and 300mm now become DA*!
A change in design of the 60-250mm f/4 - a tripod collar is added.

A new limited lens: 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited.

And a new entry flash AF-200FG:

Does not seem to have AF Assist though.

These lenses and flash and the 645D (now 31MP) will be showcased in PMA.

Last edited by nosnoop; 02-21-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Official Release update
02-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax pulling out the "Big Guns".

The little flash is their answer to the Nikon entry flash but it doesn't appear to have bounce feature, like the Nikon.
02-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting the news! Looks like more strange marketing decisions... :ugh:

The macro looks nice, but why make a 35mm when 50mm already seems too short? The 200mm is again redundant because similar FF versions exist, but I'm actually looking forward the 300mm because of the improved speed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Thanks for posting the news! Looks like more strange marketing decisions... :ugh:

The macro looks nice, but why make a 35mm when 50mm already seems too short? The 200mm is again redundant because similar FF versions exist, but I'm actually looking forward the 300mm because of the nice speed.
Mo,

Wasn't there rumor that the FF lenses would be soon discontinued, so the introduction of this lens would make sense in this case?

02-21-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The macro looks nice, but why make a 35mm when 50mm already seems too short?
But isn't it for the exact same reason why we had the 50mm f/2.8 Macro in the film old days?

QuoteQuote:
The 200mm is again redundant because similar FF versions exist
As Alvin said, I think the old version will be discontinued. In addition, this would have weather/dust sealing and it has SDM.
02-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LBA...Lens Beauty Appreciation...because I'm broke. haha

Nice to see that they remodeled the 60-250mm to include a tripod mount. Its too bad the 50-135/f2.8 only converts to a 75-202 and not start that at focal length to begin with. I think most people will find the lens a bit too short.

What do you guys think of the projected cost? $899 for the 16-50 and $999 for the 50-135.
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
What do you guys think of the projected cost? $899 for the 16-50 and $999 for the 50-135.
50-135 would work for me, but $999?!? Whoa, I'll be having to save up for a LONG time! Like I said somewhere else here on a similar thread - counting my pennies!

02-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But isn't it for the exact same reason why we had the 50mm f/2.8 Macro in the film old days?
True, but the fact that it's short remains

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
As Alvin said, I think the old version will be discontinued. In addition, this would have weather/dust sealing and it has SDM.
The FA* 200/2.8 has already been discontinued, unfortunately. It boasts a better build over the DA*, and that fact that it also works on film would make it much more valuable (to me) than the DA*. Sure, weather sealing is nice, but this whole SDM thing is just a marketing stunt...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The FA* 200/2.8 has already been discontinued, unfortunately. It boasts a better build over the DA*, and that fact that it also works on film would make it much more valuable (to me) than the DA*. Sure, weather sealing is nice, but this whole SDM thing is just a marketing stunt...
Having not seen an FA* lens, I will agree with you there based on what I've read. If the focusing speed of the SDM is slower or comparable to focus speed using the old system, then yes, the only thing going for it would be the weather sealing.

Reading your comments in earlier threads, I'm beginning to question the optics - will the lens series at least hold a candle to the fabled FA* in terms of image quality?
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

cant wait, cant wait, cant wait.

hopefully i can track it down.....when it is out.

the IQ should be good, but, they dont make things like they used to, so...
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Reading your comments in earlier threads, I'm beginning to question the optics - will the lens series at least hold a candle to the fabled FA* in terms of image quality?
Hopefully...this is why I believe that Pentax decided to employ a larger (1.3x crop) image circle instead of the standard 1.5x.

Oh, and I forgot to add: what happened to upcoming D-FA full-frame lenses!??

Adam

02-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Mo,

Wasn't there rumor that the FF lenses would be soon discontinued, so the introduction of this lens would make sense in this case?
Yes and no, IMHO. f/2.8 is a full step slower than f/2.0, so the just announced 35mm macro lens is not a direct replacement. Nor can it be considered a "fast normal prime".

Maybe it's time I really started hunting for a FA 35/2...
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

50-135 would work for me, but $999?!? Whoa, I'll be having to save up for a LONG time! Like I said somewhere else here on a similar thread - counting my pennies!
I think you can easily buy a 70-200 Sigma EX for that much already.

As for focusing speed, evolution gave us eyes most sensitive to wavelengths of peak emission from the sun. and wrists that enable a spectacular range of movement.
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I think you can easily buy a 70-200 Sigma EX for that much already.

As for focusing speed, evolution gave us eyes most sensitive to wavelengths of peak emission from the sun. and wrists that enable a spectacular range of movement.

easy? sold out still in most places....
selling point for me on the new DA*'s is the SDM (well one selling point)
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Mo,

But why stop producing them? If the FA series were still in production, we wouldn't have any trouble finding lenses...

Adam