Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must admit I was getting nervous as I read all the specs etc. Lots of mention of new in-lens motors, and quick shif to manual focus, but no mention of compatibility with the older DSLR's. This has been a concern of mine, that the new lenses would only auto focus on the K10D. Finally buried in the press release I find this:
"When mounted on other PENTAX digital SLR camera bodies, the conventional autofocus mode using a camera-mounted motor is selected."
So if I'm a real good boy, (and win the lotto) it looks like even those of us pentaxians who are K10D deprived will be able to use these lenses.

NaCl(peanut butter and hotdogs is a good diet, isn't it?)H2O

02-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #17
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I must admit I was getting nervous as I read all the specs etc. Lots of mention of new in-lens motors, and quick shif to manual focus, but no mention of compatibility with the older DSLR's. This has been a concern of mine, that the new lenses would only auto focus on the K10D. Finally buried in the press release I find this:
"When mounted on other PENTAX digital SLR camera bodies, the conventional autofocus mode using a camera-mounted motor is selected."
So if I'm a real good boy, (and win the lotto) it looks like even those of us pentaxians who are K10D deprived will be able to use these lenses.

NaCl(peanut butter and hotdogs is a good diet, isn't it?)H2O
The only problem that I see with this is.......

Will all future Pentax Lens offerings, while being backwards compatible, be designed to mate with the K10D, DA*, and have the "SDM' focusing motor.

If so, the price of Lens for all Pentax Cameras just went up.

I'm sure that Pentax will continue to manufacture some of the more popular DA and FA lens for a while, but at what point do these go away?

Anyone else see it this way? Or, is it just me?

Ed
02-22-2007, 06:43 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Whats all this hype about the 50-135mm for? Just buy a Sigma 70-200/2.8 already and you'll actually have some $$ left over.

:P
Cause the Pentax Lens at these prices if everything translates, will

1. Wont be that much more expensive (Might be able to get a memory card or two),
2. Be a Pentax
3. Be a far better Lens
4. Be weather sealed
5. Have SDM
6. Be a Pentax
7. Be smaller lighter
8. Be a Pentax

Did i mention it is a Pentax Lens, so no reverse engineered chips.
02-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's the price of progress Eddy

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
The only problem that I see with this is.......

Will all future Pentax Lens offerings, while being backwards compatible, be designed to mate with the K10D, DA*, and have the "SDM' focusing motor.

If so, the price of Lens for all Pentax Cameras just went up.

I'm sure that Pentax will continue to manufacture some of the more popular DA and FA lens for a while, but at what point do these go away?

Anyone else see it this way? Or, is it just me?

Ed
I sorta agree with you Eddy, but since everybody else has SDM (or what ever they want to call it) I think Pentax has to also. Those who spent close to $1K for a camera body EXPECT in-lens motors. Pentax's only other option would be to produce two versions of the lens, one with the motor, and one without. Obviously that won't happen for financial reasons. And yes, the older lenses will gradually be phased out. Getting out my crystal ball (which suffers from a bad back/front focus/fuzzy image condition) I see that in a few years the only FA's manufactured will be the limiteds. I think some of the more popular DA lenses will still be produced, the DA 12-24, the pancakes, the "consumer" lenses like the 18-55 and 50-200. Pentax has always had a two tier lens system, I don't think that will change.

NaCl(hopefully with the new lenses, the older ones will become avaliable on eek bay for less than they are going for now)H2O

02-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Star lenses have always been expensive, so there's no surprise there. Now that film users see that Pentax has them trapped, they won't be selling their FA*'s, etc., and therefore their value and price will go up.

If anthing's overpriced, it's the so-called DA "Limited" lenses. They're smaller physically and should therefore be cheaper to produce.

IMO Pentax is taking a bad move here, espcially since the FA series has come to an end. Also, have you noticed that all the big guns have been removed from Pentax's (pentaximaging.com) online store? Just a month ago, we saw that the A 400mm, A/FA* 600mm, and A* 1200mm were available for special order, but not any more! Pros won't be switching to Pentax because of the sheer lack of lenses, but I hope the 645D will change that...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #21

I was disappointed to see John Carlson say the 2 star zooms won't be available until June. I thought it would be sooner with all this talk.
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The DA Limiteds are metal right? Yea I agree with Adam. Not only are the bodies smaller but theres no aperture ring as well so complexity's been further reduced.

03-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Mo, this news is definitely dissapointing for me. The only reason I am collecting Da* zooms are for the weather proof feature that will become so handy when I travel in wet climate in certain countries.

And according to your logic, I will never never sell my Fa lenses...

They work magic for me anyway