Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The lenses will come when they're production ready, Bill, and if firmware updates are required, they'll come too. It's just the waiting that some people find frustrating... and I understand that, but it doesn't mean these are phantom products. It'll all come good in time
I think if every brand user was waiting to the extent Pentax users are waiting, there wouldn't be the level of frustration that exists here. It helps if you can ignore the rest of the camera world, but if you like to read widely then you have to suppress such feelings. I can't help wondering whether we'd be better off if Ricoh sold the brand to a dedicated camera company that doesn't have a DSLR – Zeiss would be the obvious one, if they could manage their arrangements with Sony to allow it, or maybe Cosina.

Anyway, I'll wait and try to avoid reading any of the other photo news outlets.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 01-25-2018 at 04:29 AM.
01-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #152
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think if every brand user was waiting to the extent Pentax users are waiting, there wouldn't be the level of frustration that exists here. It helps if you can ignore the rest of the camera world
I guess... but it definitely happens with other brands too. Sony E-mount users had quite a wait (years, not months) for their native E-mount platform to build up. A-mount users had an even longer wait before finally concluding that lens development for their platform had ground to a complete halt, while the waiting time, rumours, leaks and resulting lack of fanfare around the A99 Mark II were almost a thing of legend. I'm sure there are other examples with other brands too, I'm just more attuned to Sony as it's one of the systems I shoot.

I think there's a natural tendency to look outward whenever we run into frustrations with our chosen brand(s) and perceive that the grass is greener for others...
01-25-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

I'm sure there are other examples with other brands too
Samsung NX shooters have been waiting a Looooong time!
01-25-2018, 12:47 AM   #154
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Samsung NX shooters have been waiting a Looooong time!
Yeah, you have to wonder if there's much mileage left in that one

Nikon 1 users haven't had a great run either

01-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there's a natural tendency to look outward whenever we run into frustrations with our chosen brand(s) and perceive that the grass is greener for others...
We are in agreement on that, obviously. The thing is, it's also a natural tendency to compare up, rather than down (or sideways), so Pentax shooters look at how Fujifilm and Olympus are faring, even Leica, but not Sony or Samsung (Samwho?).

Personally, I'm not that interested in new lenses anymore (I collected the FA*s and FA Limiteds I wanted, in anticipation of the K-1 arriving) but I am interested in firmware developments and new bodies. It'd be nice to see both arrive on a shorter cycle, but we all know why the hardware won't come out any faster. The firmware, though? That's another matter.
01-25-2018, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I remember when I first started in photography, you turned a dial on the light meter, and then set your aperture according to what it told you. This seems like doing the same thing in reverse. It's amazing how little we have progressed in the past few decades.
Given that the monkey that you have as your avatar is capable of taking perfectly decent photos we should perhaps reconsider the whole idea of progress.
01-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #157
Pentaxian

so Pentax shooters look at how Fujifilm and Olympus are faring
Plenty of lenses and more in the pipeline....Up to date video....Fast AF...progressing along @ an acceptable rate!

Samsung (Samwho?).
Theres a chance the 28mp sensor could show up in a Fuji to be announced around Photokina!

The firmware,
If you get to the big island,you may get some...it'll be too slow with dial up down there!

01-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plenty of lenses and more in the pipeline....Up to date video....Fast AF...progressing along @ an acceptable rate!

If you get to the big island,you may get some...it'll be too slow with dial up down there!
Based on your historic, accurate prediction of the K-1 release price point . . . I’m set up for Lucy to take the football away at the last possible moment again.
01-25-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #159
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Given that the monkey that you have as your avatar is capable of taking perfectly decent photos we should perhaps reconsider the whole idea of progress.
Hey, I had to straighten that photo.
01-26-2018, 06:33 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've been inhaling too much of the North Coast weed, if you think that, sunshine. But don't think we're ungrateful for your taxpayer largesse – you can come and use our FTTP any time your satellite gets the collywobbles.
01-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #161
Pentaxian

North Coast weed
It was definitely a good Oz day yesterday!....the little island must get an inferiority complex this time of year,your invasion didnt arrive till a long time after!
01-26-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was definitely a good Oz day yesterday!....the little island must get an inferiority complex this time of year,your invasion didnt arrive till a long time after!
I concede that your gaol opened for business fifteen years before ours, but I'm not sure why some folks regard that as a matter of pride.
01-26-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

I concede that your gaol opened for business fifteen years before ours
It was a Colony,if i read the history books correctly.

We sent the bad boys to the far south but plenty escaped and founded Adelaide(its only there to prove Tasmanians can swim!)
01-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a Colony,if i read the history books correctly.
So they said, but we know who writes history, don't we?

We sent the bad boys to the far south but plenty escaped and founded Adelaide(its only there to prove Tasmanians can swim!)
Hey! Don't start on the crow-eaters – some of my best friends live there. You are right about the bad ones, though, which is why you should think twice before picking a fight with a Tassie boy, especially as we're all related.
01-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Tassie boy, especially as we're all related.
Yes, something to certainly be proud of!...As well as Jacki Jacki Lambie!