Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #181
Pentaxian

Remember what Fujifilm did in 2016: they launched the X-E2S in January , then released in February a firmware update for the X-E2 (launched in October 2013) that brought X-E2S features and interface.

The changes were so significant that, rather than publishing an addendum as they usually did, Fujifilm released a new version of the camera's owner's manual.

We could see more or less the same process with K-1 Mark II and K-1 firmware update.

02-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You know my standard answer for "this would be truly lame"? "Oh, then they won't do it, right?" - followed by "but why are we discussing this non-possibility?"
I'd say it is worth discussing the possibility (not for too long, though) because the basis for it was created by Mistral75, a member who's information and judgement I trust.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It makes no sense to launch - with all the logistic included - a new model instead of simply releasing a firmware. So they won't do it.
Yes, it makes sense to launch a new model.

First of all, you'll always have some K-1 users who will buy the new model, no matter how small the differences.

Second, you want to be in the news for marketing purposes.

Third, you want to have your models stay relatively current. A K-1 will not be included in a "Best cameras of 2018 roundup", etc.

The list could probably be continued.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Or, alternatively, the whole firmware update rumor is just balooney.....
I think we can exclude that because it was asahi man who leaked the news about a new firmware.

Last edited by Class A; 02-09-2018 at 09:56 PM.
02-09-2018, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Remember what Fujifilm did in 2016: they launched the X-E2S in January , then released in February a firmware update for the X-E2 (launched in October 2013) that brought X-E2S features and interface.
Yes, I've been secretly hoping for that to happen for the K-1 Mark II / K-1 situation as well. The phrasing "cancelled" made it appear very unlikely, but as I said, this could be a language issue.

By releasing a K-1 Mark II first and then updating the K-1, Pentax can have their cake and eat it too. They'd be able to get all the attention for a new release and then can later appease K-1 users by releasing a firmware that gets the K-1 to the K-1 Mark II as closely as possible.

I'm pretty sure that one significant reason as to why Pentax still exists as a brand is the brand loyalty of their customer core. I'd say it would be dangerous to mess with it.
02-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd say it is worth discussing the possibility (not for too long, though) because the basis for it was created by Mistral75, a member who's information and judgement I trust.

Yes, it makes sense to launch a new model.

First of all, you'll always have some K-1 users who will buy the new model, no matter how small the differences.

Second, you want to be in the news for marketing purposes.

Third, you want to have your models stay relatively current. A K-1 will not be included in a "Best cameras of 2018 roundup", etc.

The list could probably be continued.
No, if we can describe it as "the pinnacle of lameness" it isn't worth discussing.
And no, IMHO it makes no sense as in the end it brings no advantage. You're thinking of the small advantage of making a few of the K-1 users to buy the new model; but how about:
- the depreciation of the existing K-1 inventory? You can't really raise the price of what is effectively the same camera without sales dropping, so you'd have to lower the price of the K-1's still on the shelves
- the customer backlash: when (not if, but when) people will find out it's just a K-1 with different firmware, and will get upset. Especially existing K-1 users.
- the news being filled with the above information, after all what else is to discuss since that would be just a K-1?

Disagree as much as you wish, it's your right; but it just won't happen.

02-10-2018, 02:40 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Well said.
I don't see RI applying the same recipe as Fuji.
Products are very different, R&D funds are abyssally different, customers are radically not the same.
Or they will fail.
02-10-2018, 02:54 AM   #186

All resources are dedicated to the new K-1 II, aps-c flagship, 645Z successor etc... The K1 firmware is last cab off the rank, Ricoh simply don't have the resources. Maybe after K-1 II is released we may see it, fingers crossed.
02-10-2018, 03:06 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
All resources are dedicated to the new K-1 II, aps-c flagship, 645Z successor etc... The K1 firmware is last cab off the rank, Ricoh simply don't have the resources. Maybe after K-1 II is released we may see it, fingers crossed.
The bulk of resources, in particular software resources, is dedicated to the Theta ecosystem. There are on average one firmware update and two app version updates per month over there.

https://theta360.com/en/info/news/

02-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Is Theta part or product of RI ?
02-10-2018, 04:22 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The bulk of resources, in particular software resources, is dedicated to the Theta ecosystem. There are on average one firmware update and two app version updates per month over there.
Surely that would imply that Ricoh act rationally and with good business sense? I don't think that can be so - I'm always reading on these forums about what a bunch of inept clowns they are.
02-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It is not, more’s the shame. Theta is cashflow.
02-10-2018, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It's definitely included in 'Smart Vision'.