Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really hope it has something new to play with!

As far as EFCS with OVF goes, that would be absolutely wonderful but presumably to do it would need to leave mechanical shutter open with mirror down or alternatively would have to open mechanical shutter and wait a small shutter settling delay before doing EFCS, which might have complications.

Some tripod tests with my smaller FA primes shows that shutter shock can occur when in the problem shutter speed range - not a big affect but still its there. Certainly I leave EFCS turned on for LV and I'm not seeing any disadvantages - in fact I now use LV more than I used to, in order avoid potential shutter shock (especially if I know shutter speed is going to be in that range).

Even getting mechanical SR with video would be good.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 12-13-2017 at 08:45 PM.
12-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K1 have a lot of things that can be improve via software that can make this camera very VERY attractive for at least a couple more years.. things like

- assing a custom button for incamera star rating for favorite images (writing the exif info)
- different colors while focus peaking (green, red, blue, white )
- to be able to have the "night time lcd" by pushing the screen brightness button ( for easy access )
- and dont know if is possible but it will be nice to have something like "Assist Lamp sensitivity", i noticed that sometimes the assist lamp takes a while to trigger at low light conditions so the camera takes a while to focus, having a high sensitivity option could "fix" this. But dont know if this is only software or software/hardware thing.

Things like that...
12-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Yeah I know. But it would be great if it could be a firmware fix. Quite frankly, the deal that B&H has on the Nikon 810 right now is very tempting. The only thing I lack to jump ship is money to burn. If anybody has $20K out there they don't need, please PM me.

I
But if you have a K1, why even bother with the D810? (assuming you're not making your living shooting sports). Seem so close in performance, and from what I can tell, no DSLR is immune to shutter shock/mirror slap issues. Just a quick search, and these two hits percolate to the top - this page in DPReview has comparisons of the D810 and simliar cameras:

In Fine Detail: Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

Mirror slap and shutter shock on the Nikon D810
12-14-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1080p/60 ? That would be awesome.

12-14-2017, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see some form of focus stacking function; and if possible, expanded options when working with multiple exposure -- perhaps allowing you to choose a shot already taken to add exposures to; anything that would help with manual focusing of lenses when using the optical viewfinder ....
12-14-2017, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems we're now into days, rather than hours. Those of us who waited for the K-1 are rather used to that, though.
12-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
- assing a custom button for incamera star rating for favorite images (writing the exif info) - different colors while focus peaking (green, red, blue, white ) - to be able to have the "night time lcd" by pushing the screen brightness button ( for easy access ) - and dont know if is possible but it will be nice to have something like "Assist Lamp sensitivity", i noticed that sometimes the assist lamp takes a while to trigger at low light conditions so the camera takes a while to focus, having a high sensitivity option could "fix" this. But dont know if this is only software or software/hardware thing. Things like that...
That could be the suggestion of specifications for the other firmware version after the next one. Too late for the next one.

12-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

And also "or later" for the supposed to be released one.
12-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

Didn't Ricoh claim they were working on movie SR in a future firmware back in February in their CP+ interview?

Edit: found it https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2017/cp-2017-pentax-interview-part-1.html question 5. Been awhile since that..

Last edited by mee; 12-15-2017 at 09:37 PM.
12-16-2017, 02:11 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I would like some tweaks in the operation of the camera. I want to call up the status screen with one press. So the ability to set the screen under the Info button to status instead of quick menu. Also I would like an option to activate the top lcd lighting on half press so I don't have to use the lighting button (twice).
12-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Seems like a strange time for an update, given the holidays and all.

It would make sense for the video SR feature to be added next, as perhaps it was being co-developed for the next DSLR model.

Not sure if firmware is an appropriate vehicle for changing the way the UI works.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if they'll ever be able to program in switching the destination SD card slot... without having to turn the camera off, eject a card, turn it on, turn it off, put the 2nd card back in, then turn it on again.
12-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I wonder if they'll ever be able to program in switching the destination SD card slot... without having to turn the camera off, eject a card, turn it on, turn it off, put the 2nd card back in, then turn it on again.
amen to that!
12-17-2017, 02:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

asahi man - any updates likely before Christmas?

In my humble opinion, it would be good for Ricoh to get any new firmware out well before CP+ 2018, particularly if it is a feature rich update. If there are serious bugs in the latest firmware [which is not unknown], and they become a problem, this could cause PR problems for any Ricoh announcements around or before CP+ in March.
12-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
They said there were patent issues preventing a simple solution. Hopefully they come up with an alternative soon, as this would be very nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: