Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure if firmware is an appropriate vehicle for changing the way the UI works.
As long a you add functionality and don't change existing options. Movie SR is now on or off. They could make it digital, mechanical or off. That just ads an option to the interface.

12-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, that would be fine. Makes it easier to release manual supplements, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2017, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They said there were patent issues preventing a simple solution
This type of stuff border line makes my head explode. You'd think something like this would be straight forward and easy to do by anyone. Always makes me wonder what it is in the technology that someone was able to patent and lock down so others can't do it. Gotta think legal stuff like this impacts AF and video as well. They know how to do it, but just can't implement it because of legal reasons, and have to come up with a "unique" solution. Ugh.
12-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

most of the desired changes probably will never appear for the K1, kept hold for a future FF. But then, to keep the next FF cost effective, they would implement what you ask right now and cut some less used functions..
Expect a Ricoh poll by 2019

12-17-2017, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
most of the desired changes probably will never appear for the K1, kept hold for a future FF. But then, to keep the next FF cost effective, they would implement what you ask right now and cut some less used functions..
Expect a Ricoh poll by 2019
Interesting, it would seem to be a different approach to what Olympus did to EM1. They've kept their flagship topped up with firmware for years, which added to its relevancy. I am underwhelmed by updates so far for the k-1, have to say. Feels more like old approach of yesteryears.
12-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Interesting, it would seem to be a different approach to what Olympus did to EM1. They've kept their flagship topped up with firmware for years, which added to its relevancy. I am underwhelmed by updates so far for the k-1, have to say. Feels more like old approach of yesteryears.
The electronic shutter was a major update that extended functionality.

Here is what I would like to see. In order of importance.

All Drive functions available via wifi app.
LV and OVF stored in user modes. ie. I have an electronic shutter user mode with 2 sec delay, and I would like if it switched to LV when I select the user mode.
Wifi app with movie functions. Simply the ability to focus and start the exposure would be nice. Don't think Facebook, think remote control.
Electronic shutter available in OVF mode.
Sensor shake reduction in movies.
A configurable one button cycle through exposure modes, even better through selected modes.
Configuration Save to sd card.

Edit: I notice the 1.41 added the drive mode and movie control to Image Transmitter function. That list looks good to me for wifi control.

Last edited by derekkite; 12-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
12-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This type of stuff border line makes my head explode. You'd think something like this would be straight forward and easy to do by anyone. Always makes me wonder what it is in the technology that someone was able to patent and lock down so others can't do it. Gotta think legal stuff like this impacts AF and video as well. They know how to do it, but just can't implement it because of legal reasons, and have to come up with a "unique" solution. Ugh.
You know those little stock picker robots that run around the floor of an Amazon warehouse? Amazon bought the whole company and all its tech and patents so no one else can have those robots.

12-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I forgot that k-1 didn't have that electronic shutter, I guess that's a fairly big update and I use it all the time.
12-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You know those little stock picker robots that run around the floor of an Amazon warehouse? Amazon bought the whole company and all its tech and patents so no one else can have those robots.
lovely....
12-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Did not check on the forum for 3 days, I come back , still the same. Wouldn't it be possible to receive an email when Ricoh actually do something, that would save all of us a lot of time.
12-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

My firmware wants are simple:

- an option to set SR in video to: sensor-shift SR on/off/electronic SR only;
- options to optimize the RAW file size (select 12/14 bit, lossless compressed/uncompressed) to help improve K-1 buffer performance.

You'd think something like this would be straight forward and easy to do by anyone. Always makes me wonder what it is in the technology that someone was able to patent and lock down so others can't do it.
It must be a very tight or expensive to license patent. You can't even do that in Nikon dual-card cameras, I believe.
12-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I wonder if they'll ever be able to program in switching the destination SD card slot... without having to turn the camera off, eject a card, turn it on, turn it off, put the 2nd card back in, then turn it on again.
I haven't run into or heard of this problem. What exactly is the issue? Sincere question.
12-17-2017, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
I haven't run into or heard of this problem. What exactly is the issue? Sincere question.
the camera doesn't let you choose which sd card it writes to on the fly, only which card it reads from while reviewing pictures with the 1-2 button
12-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #44

Just keep in mind that this probably also ensure that Pentax has some unique features of their own :-)
12-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DagT Quote
Just keep in mind that this probably also ensure that Pentax has some unique features of their own :-)
yes, good point!