Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #46

If they could squeeze out some extra FPS that would be glorious. Not to mention much better tracking AF. Fuji just did it with their existing hardware, why can't Pentax?

12-19-2017, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Because extra fps is limited by the read out speed of the sensor. Nothing Ricoh can do with firmware about that. Tracking cannot be improved by a firmware update either (or at least not significantly) because it is already as good as it gets with the current hardware. Fujifilm just didn't implement it's 169 on sensor pdaf points well enough at launch.
12-19-2017, 04:40 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DagT Quote
Just keep in mind that this probably also ensure that Pentax has some unique features of their own :-)
Patents for sensor shift, astro tracing, AF tracking etc. is okay, but for switching between SD cards?
12-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, I have deleted a series of messages as they all related to one that I've removed.

Please note - everyone here is entitled to express his or her opinions, so long as they do so in a friendly and courteous manner (per our forum rules).

Thanks

12-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #50
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
If they could squeeze out some extra FPS that would be glorious.
I wouldn't call it glorious but still theoretically possible.. the D810 jumps to 6 fps in 1.2x and 1.5x crop modes and 7 fps in crop modes with the battery grip. If the K-1 is using an updated version of the same sensor then it theoretically could allow for greater performance than we're currently seeing.

Now, if Ricoh supported the sensor with the hardware to make this happen is another thing....

1.2x crop mode would be fantastic on the K-1... even if it didn't affect the burst rate. If anything, several of the DA lenses vignette at around the 1.2x size... so it would be a nice addition.
12-19-2017, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time to change the thread title.

Next hours or days or weeks we get a new firmware for K-1
12-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #52

...Or later

12-19-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Because extra fps is limited by the read out speed of the sensor. Nothing Ricoh can do with firmware about that.
Not quite the full story. It's all about sensor data going into the [PRIME IV] image processing chip, associated circuitry, and RAM, then finding it's way out as RAW's or JPEGs onto a SD card. Not just the sensor read-out speed.

Firmware can help a LOT with fps rates. As other brands illustrate, for RAW shooting you can change the achievable fps by just altering the recorded bit depth of your RAW's (eg 12/14 bit), and/or the compression level and type of compression applied to your RAW's.

And one only has to remember the impact of K-5 firmware v1.01, which auto-magically boosted the K-5's continuous shooting RAW buffer from a maximum of approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames. Just via software.

Firmware has a lot of potential to upgrade how well the hardware works with todays portable computers with lenses. Oops, I mean todays digital cameras.
12-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Did not check on the forum for 3 days, I come back , still the same. Wouldn't it be possible to receive an email when Ricoh actually do something, that would save all of us a lot of time.
Just subscribe to the homepage news forum- all FW updates get posted there

As I posted earlier, I'm skeptical of any substantial updates coming out this month. Maybe in mid to late January, in time for a CP+ announcement alongside whatever might be new in the APSC or 645 world.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #55
Veteran Member

My secret hope is that the latest firmware will unlock some capability that was included in the camera from launch, but never enabled in firmware.

Kind of like how IBM used to ship mainframe computers with extra processing power built in at the factory, but that extra power only became active once you paid an extra $100k or more for IBM to upgrade your computer. And the upgrade consisted of an IBM technician visiting your mainframe on site, opening the case, and flicking one switch.

I always thought, for example, that NFC would be in the camera, even though it is not listed in the current specifications, since there was a NFC logo on one of the early body mock-ups. Maybe NFC is indeed in there, along with BlueTooth, and 4K video too, just awaiting the flick of a firmware switch?
12-20-2017, 03:04 AM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wouldn't call it glorious but still theoretically possible.. the D810 jumps to 6 fps in 1.2x and 1.5x crop modes and 7 fps in crop modes with the battery grip. .
(Shrugs shoulders)

The K-1 does 6.5 fps in 1.5x crop mode, FWIW.
12-20-2017, 03:19 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not quite the full story. It's all about sensor data going into the [PRIME IV] image processing chip, associated circuitry, and RAM, then finding it's way out as RAW's or JPEGs onto a SD card. Not just the sensor read-out speed.

Firmware can help a LOT with fps rates. As other brands illustrate, for RAW shooting you can change the achievable fps by just altering the recorded bit depth of your RAW's (eg 12/14 bit), and/or the compression level and type of compression applied to your RAW's.

And one only has to remember the impact of K-5 firmware v1.01, which auto-magically boosted the K-5's continuous shooting RAW buffer from a maximum of approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames. Just via software.

Firmware has a lot of potential to upgrade how well the hardware works with todays portable computers with lenses. Oops, I mean todays digital cameras.
Sure but I believe the sensor read out is the bottleneck until the camera fills up the buffer. The K-1 is faster than camera's with the same sensor. A7R D800 which do 4ps instead of 4.4. (btw. the K-1 does 6.5 fps in aps-c crop mode which is almost as fast as the K-5). Dramatic performance improvements through firmware upgrades just means they got it wrong the first time.
12-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

The fps rate doesn't go as far as "finding it's way out as RAWs or JPEGs onto a SD card".

Lowering the bit depth helps by reducing the amount of data to be transferred for each frame. Compression level would work only if done on the sensor. Boosting the RAW buffer might be an indication of on the fly compression, or not - in any case, the fps remained the same.
The sensor could be "overclocked" to some extent but I assume the hardware must support it as well. In the end, the possibilities of speeding up sensor read-out via a firmware update are limited, and of limited effect.

In any case, the D810 supports up to 5fps - not such a big difference, compared to the K-1's 4.4. Even in crop mode, we're talking about 7 fps compared to the K-1's 6.5.
IMO there aren't "some extra FPS" to gain, by any reasonable method. I would like that for sure, but it'll have to wait for a new model/hardware.
12-20-2017, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is that there are going to be the addition of the DFA *50 to the lens database in the camera and "improvements in camera stability."

If it went beyond that, I would guess they would add the mechanical stabilization of the sensor with video. Frame rates are where they are and the buffer is where it is. And even if they added an extra half frame per second, you would just run into your buffer limit faster.
12-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damit, Rondec, you just always seem to have the most level headed posts!