Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
Pentax Scandinavia shut down

Pentax Scandinavia will be shut down
If there is some dumhead on Hoya or Pentax Germany which has come up with the idea does not matter. Now than Pentax grows, this seams stupid, especially as Focus Trading shall take over. Focus Trading's home page on the Samsung does not bode well, see:
..::: Focus Trading :::..

And if Pentax comes with a DX camera(24x36mm) at Photokina, we'll see how it goes, perhaps it will be Sony for me in future, after 31 year with Pentax ...

08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
there is nothing conclusive about this action, period. Hoya/Pentax is going through a major restructure at the moment who knows what they are planning. its important to keep in mind that Pentax is no longer a separate Corp. its just a subsidiary of Hoya.
08-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,013
Well... Pentax did a similar thing in the Benelux a few years ago as well, i.e. they closed down the Pentax Belenux division that did the distribution in our area. That was before the days of the K10D, so it hardy spelled the end of Pentax...

Since then De Beukelaer has taken over as a distributor, and although they took some time getting to know the product, things are generally OK for Pentax in the region. Earlier this summer I talked to a sales rep working for them, and he seemed genuinely enthused by Pentax's offerings.

Let's hope things will work out similarly in Scandinavia!

Wim
08-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Verona, Italy
Posts: 202
Some months ago the italian one was shut down: now is back anyway [and it's quite better too].

08-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
We've never had a Pentax Romania. I just hope our only importer doesn't close up shop too.
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Well, Samsung, Velbon, Tamron, Ilford, Panasonic, Transcend, etc. are seeing plenty of market visibility and marketing in Scandinavia. So maybe this Focus Trading knows their business. Lets see how it all goes; I’m not particularly concerned about it.
08-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,206
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well... Pentax did a similar thing in the Benelux a few years ago as well, i.e. they closed down the Pentax Belenux division that did the distribution in our area. That was before the days of the K10D, so it hardy spelled the end of Pentax...

Since then De Beukelaer has taken over as a distributor, and although they took some time getting to know the product, things are generally OK for Pentax in the region. Earlier this summer I talked to a sales rep working for them, and he seemed genuinely enthused by Pentax's offerings.

Let's hope things will work out similarly in Scandinavia!

Wim
De Beukelear does quite a lot better:

* gives merchandising (seems stupid this did not exist before K10D, in Belgium)

* it asks reseller to sell Pentax even if they do not want: if they do not a sell a certain number of Pentax cameras/lenses (even simple kit I mean) they will NOT get any other competing products from them. I don't like much that way of doing but is works damn well. One of the shop which used to 'Pentax sucks, Pentax is dead anyway, blabla' speaks very highly of them now. Strange huh ??
08-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,673
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
We've never had a Pentax Romania. I just hope our only importer doesn't close up shop too.
"Our only importer" is doing quite well, from what I know sales are increasing - and they don't sell only Pentax.

08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silkeborg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2
Westheimer from Denmark is taking over the distribution.
That also means that Fovitech in Denmark is stopping distribution Pentax :-((((

Westheimer is going to do the distribution in the Nordic, a trend from many other companyes. We have to see what happens. They also distribut Samsung cameras.
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 294
Original Poster
Maybe i was react to mutch from my surprice(have only 45minutes to Pentax scandinavia, and that is almost my closest town), but they have Pentax nowhow there. It´s hard to belive that Pentax contakt with press and photographer over hole Europe can be run from Hamburg in a good way.
Focus Trading i mention above have only a limited info about Samsung, for more info you need to search for English sites, or be linked from Swedish Samsung to a English site.
I hope it be the only bad thing with Hoyas takeover of Pentax. But will Hoya make a cheap distribution, they can ask Samsung to take over distribution then Samsung has the nowhow.
If they also make the wrong choice to came with a FF/ FX size camera instead of a digital 645, i think Pentax most shut down.

See you at Photokina, and we shall se were Pentax goes.
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Pentax closed up SLR operations in Ireland some time ago.

Apparently they do now have a service depot here, but I bet all they do is ship the stuff off to the UK. With added delays and costs of course.
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
De Beukelear does quite a lot better:

* gives merchandising (seems stupid this did not exist before K10D, in Belgium)

* it asks reseller to sell Pentax even if they do not want: if they do not a sell a certain number of Pentax cameras/lenses (even simple kit I mean) they will NOT get any other competing products from them. I don't like much that way of doing but is works damn well. One of the shop which used to 'Pentax sucks, Pentax is dead anyway, blabla' speaks very highly of them now. Strange huh ??
Interesting way to work. I guess it is called agressive marketing


QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Thybo Quote
Westheimer from Denmark is taking over the distribution.
That also means that Fovitech in Denmark is stopping distribution Pentax :-((((

Westheimer is going to do the distribution in the Nordic, a trend from many other companyes. We have to see what happens. They also distribut Samsung cameras.
Fovitech has been okay, but it can probably be done better still.
If Westheimer is taking over, it might be interesting. There was a massive campaign for one of the recent Samsung P&S that had won some awards. Wouldn't mind to see more profiling of Pentax, so people will know of options and brands
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Shashinki's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 357
Aronsen in Norway is also part of Focus Nordic Group. (same as Westheimer and Focus Trading)

I wonder if they will take over Pentax distribution here.

This could be both good and bad news, the Focus Nordic companies have more money for marketing and such, but Fovi had one of the few remaining repairshops for servicing Pentax cameras such as the K1000, LX etc. in Scandinavia. This will most likely not survive.

If it happens, it probably won't until new years though. (you know us mountain-monkeys can be a bit slow to accept new ideas )
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
focus, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, scandinavia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Shut the duck up. r0ckstarr Post Your Photos! 2 09-23-2010 06:37 PM
Nature Some Photos from Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, and Sweden) Adam Post Your Photos! 5 07-12-2010 05:07 AM
A dramatic change for Pentax in Scandinavia alunfoto Pentax News and Rumors 48 08-10-2009 08:06 AM
What about Pentax Scandinavia? Douglas_of_Sweden Pentax News and Rumors 13 05-07-2008 11:04 AM
K10 won't shut off? paulsoucy Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 04-22-2008 06:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top