Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Scandinavia shut down

Pentax Scandinavia will be shut down
If there is some dumhead on Hoya or Pentax Germany which has come up with the idea does not matter. Now than Pentax grows, this seams stupid, especially as Focus Trading shall take over. Focus Trading's home page on the Samsung does not bode well, see:
..::: Focus Trading :::..

And if Pentax comes with a DX camera(24x36mm) at Photokina, we'll see how it goes, perhaps it will be Sony for me in future, after 31 year with Pentax ...

08-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Banned

there is nothing conclusive about this action, period. Hoya/Pentax is going through a major restructure at the moment who knows what they are planning. its important to keep in mind that Pentax is no longer a separate Corp. its just a subsidiary of Hoya.
08-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well... Pentax did a similar thing in the Benelux a few years ago as well, i.e. they closed down the Pentax Belenux division that did the distribution in our area. That was before the days of the K10D, so it hardy spelled the end of Pentax...

Since then De Beukelaer has taken over as a distributor, and although they took some time getting to know the product, things are generally OK for Pentax in the region. Earlier this summer I talked to a sales rep working for them, and he seemed genuinely enthused by Pentax's offerings.

Let's hope things will work out similarly in Scandinavia!

Wim
08-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #4

Some months ago the italian one was shut down: now is back anyway [and it's quite better too].

08-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

We've never had a Pentax Romania. I just hope our only importer doesn't close up shop too.
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, Samsung, Velbon, Tamron, Ilford, Panasonic, Transcend, etc. are seeing plenty of market visibility and marketing in Scandinavia. So maybe this Focus Trading knows their business. Lets see how it all goes; I’m not particularly concerned about it.
08-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Well... Pentax did a similar thing in the Benelux a few years ago as well, i.e. they closed down the Pentax Belenux division that did the distribution in our area. That was before the days of the K10D, so it hardy spelled the end of Pentax...

Since then De Beukelaer has taken over as a distributor, and although they took some time getting to know the product, things are generally OK for Pentax in the region. Earlier this summer I talked to a sales rep working for them, and he seemed genuinely enthused by Pentax's offerings.

Let's hope things will work out similarly in Scandinavia!

Wim
De Beukelear does quite a lot better:

* gives merchandising (seems stupid this did not exist before K10D, in Belgium)

* it asks reseller to sell Pentax even if they do not want: if they do not a sell a certain number of Pentax cameras/lenses (even simple kit I mean) they will NOT get any other competing products from them. I don't like much that way of doing but is works damn well. One of the shop which used to 'Pentax sucks, Pentax is dead anyway, blabla' speaks very highly of them now. Strange huh ??
08-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
We've never had a Pentax Romania. I just hope our only importer doesn't close up shop too.
"Our only importer" is doing quite well, from what I know sales are increasing - and they don't sell only Pentax.

08-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Westheimer from Denmark is taking over the distribution.
That also means that Fovitech in Denmark is stopping distribution Pentax :-((((

Westheimer is going to do the distribution in the Nordic, a trend from many other companyes. We have to see what happens. They also distribut Samsung cameras.
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Maybe i was react to mutch from my surprice(have only 45minutes to Pentax scandinavia, and that is almost my closest town), but they have Pentax nowhow there. It´s hard to belive that Pentax contakt with press and photographer over hole Europe can be run from Hamburg in a good way.
Focus Trading i mention above have only a limited info about Samsung, for more info you need to search for English sites, or be linked from Swedish Samsung to a English site.
I hope it be the only bad thing with Hoyas takeover of Pentax. But will Hoya make a cheap distribution, they can ask Samsung to take over distribution then Samsung has the nowhow.
If they also make the wrong choice to came with a FF/ FX size camera instead of a digital 645, i think Pentax most shut down.

See you at Photokina, and we shall se were Pentax goes.
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pentax closed up SLR operations in Ireland some time ago.

Apparently they do now have a service depot here, but I bet all they do is ship the stuff off to the UK. With added delays and costs of course.
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
De Beukelear does quite a lot better:

* gives merchandising (seems stupid this did not exist before K10D, in Belgium)

* it asks reseller to sell Pentax even if they do not want: if they do not a sell a certain number of Pentax cameras/lenses (even simple kit I mean) they will NOT get any other competing products from them. I don't like much that way of doing but is works damn well. One of the shop which used to 'Pentax sucks, Pentax is dead anyway, blabla' speaks very highly of them now. Strange huh ??
Interesting way to work. I guess it is called agressive marketing

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Thybo Quote
Westheimer from Denmark is taking over the distribution.
That also means that Fovitech in Denmark is stopping distribution Pentax :-((((

Westheimer is going to do the distribution in the Nordic, a trend from many other companyes. We have to see what happens. They also distribut Samsung cameras.
Fovitech has been okay, but it can probably be done better still.
If Westheimer is taking over, it might be interesting. There was a massive campaign for one of the recent Samsung P&S that had won some awards. Wouldn't mind to see more profiling of Pentax, so people will know of options and brands
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Aronsen in Norway is also part of Focus Nordic Group. (same as Westheimer and Focus Trading)

I wonder if they will take over Pentax distribution here.

This could be both good and bad news, the Focus Nordic companies have more money for marketing and such, but Fovi had one of the few remaining repairshops for servicing Pentax cameras such as the K1000, LX etc. in Scandinavia. This will most likely not survive.

If it happens, it probably won't until new years though. (you know us mountain-monkeys can be a bit slow to accept new ideas )