The odd 645z.
They do?! Since when?
09-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #1488
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

this morning.
09-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #1489
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging used to show mockups ("development announcement') ahead of the actual announcement of completely new products not replacing existing ones: K-1, 70-200mm, 150-450mm, 50mm, 11-18mm and more. Indeed, there is no risk that showcasing such products well ahead of their launch would harm the sale of existing products. They wouldn't announce the development of the K-1 II or the HD Limited lenses, for instance.

However they just announced the development of the Ricoh GR III even though the GR II is not discontinued.

There are only residual inventories of new K-3 IIs and Ricoh Imaging know that its successor is eagerly awaited.

Therefore I am convinced that Ricoh Imaging will announce the development of the successor to K-3 II, showcase a mockup, etc. well ahead of its actual announcement and launch.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-25-2018 at 11:48 PM.
09-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Therefore I am convinced that Ricoh Imaging will announce the development of the successor to K-3 II, showcase a mockup, etc. well ahead of its actual announcement and launch.
Well, the doors are opening in 45 minutes - it will be interesting to see what's on the stand
09-26-2018, 12:28 AM   #1491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am convinced that Ricoh Imaging will announce the development of the successor to K-3 II
Maybe, but they do have the K-3II on display at their stall. Might be a wait for the replacement yet.
09-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #1492
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes. If it happens at all.

Reasoning:
1) K-3II was actually marked as discontinued by Ricoh. A somewhat unprecedented action when there is no replacement.

So either:
A) Ricoh never intended there to be a K-3II replacement and any comments made about it were by people not in the know or misunderstood

B) They did intend to build one but market changes have made them reconsider and it is now canceled
C) They intended to make one but ran into technical issues. Possibly a move to a new sensor / image processor did not go as smooth as hoped

2) There was no announcement for a K-3II replacement at Photokina nor any further hints that they are working on anything
So either:
A) There is no K-3II replacement
B) It is coming but not for some time
C) It is coming soon but nobody in engineering remembered to tell marketing

My guess is that there will be a replacement for the K-3II and the time frame for actual in store availability will be late 2019 or early 2020. If they were at all close to release (within 6 months) they would have said so and there would have been some hints / leaks.

I have been a staunch supporter / optimist regarding Pentax since 2010. But the current state of things is not sustainable. They have no product to sell nor any hints that one will be forthcoming. I'm afraid my optimism has largely evaporated.
My guess is that they had to discontinue the K-3 II earlier because of the older sensor's availability. Ordering a new batch from Sony might've been too expensive, and/or the minimum quantities too large.
My hope for the K-3 II's successor is that it brings something new - even a platform change (which would explain the development time).

09-26-2018, 04:28 AM - 2 Likes   #1493
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Maybe, but they do have the K-3II on display at their stall. Might be a wait for the replacement yet.
Wait a second...
Ricoh is showcasing a discontinued DSLR on display at their stall?

Is this a joke?

When the 'other guys' are showcasing new products, whether or not those new products suck is irrelevant...
How can Ricoh possibly showcase a discontinued product?!

That's not a good way to represent your business...
09-26-2018, 04:30 AM   #1494
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I see quite a few people ditching there full frame gear and I wonder if the grass wasnt quite as green
I've noticed that quite a few professionals that I follow nowadays are using crop cameras - a few years ago they only talked about and used full frame DSLRs –. The only pro that I now about that never went full frame is the pro macrophotographer Mike Moats.
09-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #1495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Wait a second...

Is this a joke?

When the 'other guys' are showcasing new products, whether or not those new products suck is irrelevant...
How can Ricoh possibly showcase a discontinued product?!

That's not a good way to represent your business...
You can still buy it at most places in Europe (as far as you can buy Pentax equipment at most places at all).
The “discontinued“ label is more something from the forum bubbles. I don't know if it is set under the discontinued models on their webpage, but forum's own dynamic put it there and cemented it. Mainly because some were looking eagerly for signs of an advent of a “successor“, haha.

Edit: just looked at the german page. There it is indeed not under current products. Haven't been there fore some time...

Last edited by MMVIII; 09-26-2018 at 04:54 AM.
09-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #1496
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Wait a second...

Is this a joke?
They are? Where???
09-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #1497
Veteran Member

Ricoh Imaging used to show mockups ("development announcement') ahead of the actual announcement of completely new products not replacing existing ones: K-1, 70-200mm, 150-450mm, 50mm, 11-18mm and more. Indeed, there is no risk that showcasing such products well ahead of their launch would harm the sale of existing products. They wouldn't announce the development of the K-1 II or the HD Limited lenses, for instance.

However they just announced the development of the Ricoh GR III even though the GR II is not discontinued.

There are only residual inventories of new K-3 IIs and Ricoh Imaging know that its successor is eagerly awaited.

No flaw in this senseful argument, K3 III cant be any exception ; we might see this mock up at CP+ 19 for a best case launch next fall...
I will probably buy a KP in the meantime as an appetizer
09-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #1498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You can still buy it at most places in Europe
not in Australia, not available from the distributor CR Kennedy
09-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #1499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You can still buy it at most places in Europe
not in Australia, not available from the distributor CR Kennedy
09-26-2018, 05:34 AM   #1500

I wonder if CRK are getting out of Pentax or even photography. Recent fire sales of KP and K-70 and virtually all current stock online offering 20% off.
Closed Thread