Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #1681
Veteran Member

Of course, Pentax could be the first to have a aps-c, mirrorless with a great adapter for legacy glass or keep the existing mount and make it longer. If not, it looks like Fuji is the only innovator left in aps, with the possibility that Canon, Sony and Nikon will update their line up, but probably not their lens selection. However, as many of us forum members agree, mirrorless cameras is not a top priority. I do feel sorry for many of us that have went for large numbers of aps-c Pentax mount lenses thinking that Pentax would always support us with new and better camera models and updated and new lenses. Many have had to put with with subpar autofocus motors/systems that created major, additional operation expenses - though fortunately not for me. Going forward - at least for me- it will be hard to justify the likely high acquisition cost of new Pentax aps glass listed on the timeline without first seeing something besides the KP available for purchase. Of course, if Sony, or someone else, had a revolutionary new and better sensor out or near production in aps size, that would also be most helpful to move things forward for all...

P.S. forgot about the Canon M series and their adapter for EF lenses - my mistake.

Last edited by mtgmansf; 09-29-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: addition.
09-29-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #1682
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Of course, Pentax could be the first to have a aps-c, mirrorless with a great adapter for legacy glass or keep the existing mount and make it longer. If not, it looks like Fuji is the only innovator left in aps, with the possibility that Canon, Sony and Nikon will update their line up, but probably not their lens selection. However, as many of us forum members agree, mirrorless cameras is not a top priority. I do feel sorry for many of us that have went for large numbers of aps-c Pentax mount lenses thinking that Pentax would always support us with new and better camera models and updated and new lenses. Many have had to put with with subpar autofocus motors/systems that created major, additional operation expenses - fortunately though not for me. Going forward - at least for me- it will be hard to justify the likely high acquisition cost of new Pentax aps glass listed on the timeline without first seeing something besides the KP available for purchase. Of course, if Sony, or someone else, had a revolutionary new and better sensor out or near production in aps size, that would also be most helpful to move things forward for all...
Let's not take a giant jump forward into an abyss of no knowledge. A problem with how Pentax is handling this is that for the next few months we'll be making, or not making, decisions based on ignorance. As a retired engineer, I enjoy thinking about alternatives, but I refuse to spend money under the current circumstances ...... if every one is like me, they're going to have a shortage of income until they tell us more. We don't know that they are abandoning APS. We don't know that they are going to embrace MILC {from what has been said here before, that could easily drive many of their 'big spenders'} away. From the way @Adam; responded to my comment about the interview {#1669 above}, I feel that I know less today than I knew yesterday.
09-29-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #1683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax spends a lot of time waiting to see where the market is heading before making a decision. Playing it safe I suppose which can be good when you are a small player. However they need a broader appeal and they can do this buy offering a mirrorless K mount camera. It doesn't need to look like a mirrorless camera in fact it should look like a slightly smaller and lighter DSLR. The main benefit of mirrorless is how cheap it is to build. This would be the Pentax entry level camera. The mid level would be a camera like the KP which doesn't have to change much at all. The highest level apsc should combine the benefits of both systems. K3 +

This let's consumers no that optical view finders are a premium product but you can still get into a great system if you don't care about that. This would provide an upgrade for both types of cameras as well.

Just a random thought.
09-29-2018, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #1684
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote

The main benefit of mirrorless is how cheap it is to build.....
This is simply not true.

The savings from removing the mirror, pentaprism, and AF module are lost by adding an EVF and higher-performance sensor and high frame rate processing required to provide a decent live view. Looking at the marketplace, it doesn't seem like MILCs are undercutting DSLRs on price.

Moreover, all of Pentax's engineering costs for DSLRs have been paid off long ago. Designing a decent new MILC will have higher development costs.

09-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #1685
Pentaxian

Pentax spends a lot of time waiting to see where the market is heading before making a decision. Playing it safe I suppose which can be good when you are a small player. However they need a broader appeal and they can do this buy offering a mirrorless K mount camera. It doesn't need to look like a mirrorless camera in fact it should look like a slightly smaller and lighter DSLR.
Those who like MILC tend to talk about benefits relating to use of the EVF - hopefully Pentax could purchase the EVF from someone like Samsung and save themselves most of that engineering burden, but they would still have to deal with the fact that so many of their current loyal users have already decided "EVF is not for me".
09-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #1686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This is simply not true.

The savings from removing the mirror, pentaprism, and AF module are lost by adding an EVF and higher-performance sensor and high frame rate processing required to provide a decent live view. Looking at the marketplace, it doesn't seem like MILCs are undercutting DSLRs on price.

Moreover, all of Pentax's engineering costs for DSLRs have been paid off long ago. Designing a decent new MILC will have higher development costs.
The sensor in the K70 is a high performance sensor already, and the mechanically moving parts of a DSLR are more expensive and more challenging to implement. You are replacing the mirror assembly, the autofocus module, the optical pentaprism and the RGB sensor with a electronic viewfinder. This is less expensive and simpler.
09-29-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #1687
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what all the fuzz is about the electronic viewfinder. If it really was that important then Apple would have add them to their iPhone.

09-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #1688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't know what all the fuzz is about the electronic viewfinder. If it really was that important then Apple would have add them to their iPhone.
For people doing video, smart phones, or perhaps pointing in a general direction for a "street photograph", LCD seems to be adequate. Before I got my Q-7, some guy here tried to convince me a hat would make it usable as-is .... he was wrong. Maybe a LCD is enough for you; I need a viewfinder that allows me to hold a camera stably as I have been for sixty years now.
09-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #1689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Let's not take a giant jump forward into an abyss of no knowledge. A problem with how Pentax is handling this is that for the next few months we'll be making, or not making, decisions based on ignorance. As a retired engineer, I enjoy thinking about alternatives, but I refuse to spend money under the current circumstances ...... if every one is like me, they're going to have a shortage of income until they tell us more. We don't know that they are abandoning APS. We don't know that they are going to embrace MILC {from what has been said here before, that could easily drive many of their 'big spenders'} away. From the way @Adam; responded to my comment about the interview {#1669 above}, I feel that I know less today than I knew yesterday.
forces us to read the tea leaves...
09-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #1690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main benefit of mirrorless is how cheap it is to build...

This let's consumers no that optical view finders are a premium product but you can still get into a great system if you don't care about that.
There are a lot of benefits to mirrorless. Like better reliability due to fewer moving parts. Smaller bodies that could be paired with lenses designed like the Pentax limiteds to give you a brilliant, small, high-quality system. The EVF has advantages like focus-peaking for manual lenses in the viewfinder. More information displayed in the viewfinder like histograms. Better low-light performance of the viewfinder.

Mirrorless could be cheaper, but most of the new bodies being released are fairly high spec premium systems. Even small sensor micro 4/3rds systems aren't any/much cheaper than a midrange Pentax DSLR.
09-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #1691
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
There are a lot of benefits to mirrorless. Like better reliability due to fewer moving parts. Smaller bodies that could be paired with lenses designed like the Pentax limiteds to give you a brilliant, small, high-quality system. The EVF has advantages like focus-peaking for manual lenses in the viewfinder. More information displayed in the viewfinder like histograms. Better low-light performance of the viewfinder.

Mirrorless could be cheaper, but most of the new bodies being released are fairly high spec premium systems. Even small sensor micro 4/3rds systems aren't any/much cheaper than a midrange Pentax DSLR.
Mirrorless also do not need autofocus calibrations for individual lenses, because there is no autofocus module that needs to be accurate, since they are on the sensor! Also, there are generally more focus points spread out over a greater area of the frame! Lastly, no more worries about mirror vibrations...
09-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #1692
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
if Sony, or someone else, had a revolutionary new and better sensor out or near production in aps size,
Sony announcement in Oct should reveal the "mini" A9,supposedly the A6700 or A7000.But wait and see,their PhotoKina interview didnt say much.They dont sell the latest tech though.

Then there are the Korean rumours about Ricoh getting a Samsung processor and sensor package,I'd like to believe that one!

---------- Post added 09-30-18 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I feel that I know less today than I knew yesterday.
Tomorrow never comes!
09-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #1693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Back at CP+ they said a K-3 successor was going to enter development. Now, after Photokina, it seems that mirrorless may perhaps be the direction they're going to move in first (maybe with the 645Z). However, they were extremely tight-lipped about actual product plans. So, it wouldn't be responsible of us to report on developments one way or another. We'll just have to keep waiting, till CP+ and the anniversary.
OK, Adam,

Please answer this one question, please! Was a question regarding the K-3II replacement or a High Spec APS-C DSLR asked at all? Just a simple yes or no will suffice, nothing else needs to be said.
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM - 5 Likes   #1694
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
OK, Adam,

Please answer this one question, please! Was a question regarding the K-3II replacement or a High Spec APS-C DSLR asked at all? Just a simple yes or no will suffice, nothing else needs to be said.
We always ask. In this case, they had no comment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #1695

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We always ask. In this case, they had no comment.
Where does that leave us?
Closed Thread