Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #1711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A longer answer was written by Ole (one of the administrators of Pentax Forum) as a comment to the Interview with Ricoh Imaging - Photokina 2018 - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com.

I will quote it here.

So, at CP+ 2018 they said that a successor to K-3 II 'was going to enter development' -as per Adam's own words:

now they are 'investigating what users prefer and how (for what) they use their cameras within the three formats APS-C, FF, and 645 as a basis for deciding the future direction' -as per Ole's own words.

Hmm... This gives me the impression we won't see the launch of the successor to K-3 II anytime soon...
That answer gave me the impression that they totally ducked the question with that answer.

09-29-2018, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1712
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is why I said

Yesterday, I knew from CP+ that they are working on a K-3 replacement. Today I know that they are exploring all kinds of options; their unwillingness to repeat, or even reference, the comments from February may or may not indicate a change in direction.

But it doesn't matter to me. If my K-30 fails, I'll purchase a KP; I'll purchase nothing from Ricoh otherwise, because I don't know that it will be useful six months from now. I feel sympathy for anyone who has to make a purchasing decision right now, especially if the deceased camera is a member of the K-7/5/3 family.
Geez RE, you need to get over over it, the Pentax world isn't coming to an end. Grab your little K-30 and go out and shoot a lot. I just got back from taking 108 photo all of which were single drive mode except for 10. I clicked on my PF icon and all I read is more gnashing of teeth from about 90% of the people posting the two threads in the Pentax News and Rumors thread.
09-29-2018, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #1713
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is why I said

Yesterday, I knew from CP+ that they are working on a K-3 replacement. Today I know that they are exploring all kinds of options; their unwillingness to repeat, or even reference, the comments from February may or may not indicate a change in direction.

SAME here! I guess they didn't want to answer anything related to a new flaghsip development because nothing is being developed until they can make up their mind, DSLR or Mirrorless. I don't think Pentax can afford to develop both system at the same time.

I'll purchase nothing from Ricoh otherwise, because I don't know that it will be useful six months from now. I feel sympathy for anyone who has to make a purchasing decision right now, especially if the deceased camera is a member of the K-7/5/3 family.
again, I say the same less than 2 month earlier, and I upgrade to a DA*55 and just last night buy a 10-17 from a forum member!

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-29-2018 at 05:31 PM.
09-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #1714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Exactly where we were before - knowing nothing and often assuming the worst.
Whether you assume the worst is up to you.

09-29-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1715
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ventaxian Quote
Where does that leave us?
For those genuinely unable to take the shots they want because (a) their existing camera is physically incapable of doing so, or (b) their existing camera has failed, and no legacy or existing Pentax model is capable enough, it means they (you?) need to switch brands, assuming you need something immediately.

For anyone else, it means there are options within the brand, either new or used...
09-29-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #1716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For those genuinely unable to take the shots they want because (a) their existing camera is physically incapable of doing so, or (b) their existing camera has failed, and no legacy or existing Pentax model is capable enough, it means they (you?) need to switch brands, assuming you need something immediately.

For anyone else, it means there are options within the brand, either new or used...
Or it means their PDS is getting worse.

PDS=Pentax Derangement Syndrome
09-29-2018, 05:40 PM - 3 Likes   #1717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Déjà vu Photokina 2016?

Edit: I have started a new thread to carry this topic in News and Rumors General Photography.

---------

Some members may recall the discussions here that followed Photokina 2016.

An early thread was started on September 19, 2016, entitled "Nothing New at Photokina!??!" : Nothing New at Photokina!??! - PentaxForums.com

Amongst the angst, questions, and speculation offered by many members, PF member asahi man reported several interesting findings about a week later (post 316): Nothing New at Photokina!??! - Page 22 - PentaxForums.com

One of the main topics of concern throughout the thread was the 'K-3 successor'. Photokina revealed no concrete insight from Ricoh, while asahi man's well-received report alluded to something in the works and suggested that folks watch for news at CP+ in 2017. Keep in mind that Ricoh introduced the K-1 and several lenses in 2016, so they were not really expected to have a strong showing at Photokina that year. Still, the lack of any news on the K-3 'replacement' was unsettling.

This thread was alive for several months, prompting more than 700 posts. Then, Ricoh surprised everyone with their announcement of the KP on January 25th 2017. Preliminary 'leaks' had appeared only a day earlier.

So -- nothing at Photokina 2016, but a total surprise four months later.

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-29-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Thread moved to General Photography
09-29-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #1718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Some members may recall the discussions here that followed Photokina 2016.

An early thread was started on September 19, 2016, entitled "Nothing New at Photokina!??!" : Nothing New at Photokina!??! - PentaxForums.com

Amongst much angst, questions, and speculation, PF member asahi man reported several interesting findings about a week later (post 316): Nothing New at Photokina!??! - Page 22 - PentaxForums.com

One of the main topics of concern throughout the thread was the 'K-3 successor'. Photokina revealed no concrete insight from Ricoh, while asahi man's well-received report alluded to something in the works and suggested that folks watch for news at CP+ in 2017. Keep in mind that Ricoh introduced the K-1 and several lenses in 2016, so they were not really expected to have a strong showing at Photokina that year. Still, the lack of any news on the K-3 'replacement' was unsettling.

This thread was alive for several months, prompting more than 700 posts. Then, Ricoh surprised everyone with their announcement of the KP on January 25th 2017. Preliminary 'leaks' had appeared only a day earlier.

So -- nothing at Photokina 2016, but a total surprise four months later.
Strange how that happened!
09-29-2018, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1719
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is a tricky brand if your a new new gear hobbyist.... looking for ongoing fixes well after the basic needs are met. Anyway, good luck with that.

Maybe develop a camera bag or strap fettish...... can still be a Pentaxian and meet your "needs".
09-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #1720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Geez RE, you need to get over over it, the Pentax world isn't coming to an end. Grab your little K-30 and go out and shoot a lot.
I don't understand your response. That is basically what I said
.... But it doesn't matter to me. If my K-30 fails, I'll purchase a KP; I'll purchase nothing from Ricoh otherwise, because I don't know that it will be useful six months from now ....
09-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #1721
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand your response. That is basically what I said
Sorry for singling you out I probably should have made it a general post. The point is we have never know what they are going to do until they announce it and I think the "non response" responses by the Ricoh/Pentax reps was by design to not divulge anything before the appointed time. Which in my opinion will come around CP+2019 or sooner. Have you seen @c.a.m.'s post Déjà vu Photokina 2016? It sounds strangely familiar.
09-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #1722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sorry for singling you out I probably should have made it a general post. The point is we have never know what they are going to do until they announce it and I think the "non response" responses by the Ricoh/Pentax reps was by design to not divulge anything before the appointed time. Which in my opinion will come around CP+2019 or sooner. Have you seen @c.a.m.'s post Déjà vu Photokina 2016? It sounds strangely familiar.
I can't find it right now, but during the lead-in to Photokina 2018 I commented that my memory of Photokina 2016 was of a time when nothing happened.

The gist of my comments this past day has been that I will suspend any new purchases because I don't want to waste money on something that might shortly be obsoleted - but otherwise my life will go on as usual. Now that I think of it, in 2015 my Canon Rebel died, and I used my Q-7 as my primary camera for the five or six weeks until I was able to find a used-like-new K-30 for a good price, so if the K-30 completely failed, I could also use the Q-7 for some time living normally while waiting for Pentax to reveal their version of the future.

Last edited by reh321; 09-29-2018 at 07:05 PM.
09-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #1723
Pentaxian

IMO Ricoh/Pentax is moving too slow. Camera and lens releases are taking way too long. I feel people are starting to lose interest. I know people try to defend their slow releases, but I thinik it is hurting them. I've been patient with Ricoh, but like many others, I'm starting to lose interest. I hope things start to turn around, but I feel like things are going south.

Some things Ricoh/Pentax could do quickly to keep people interested and not cost them much in development: How about a special edition of the K1-II. How about refreshing some of their existing lenses? Specially the FAs?
09-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #1724
Pentaxian

Ricoh users have no special luck with Ricoh brand - because Ricoh was always do something - that is not familiar with market.

They have abandoned "lens and sensor" module system, and loyal customers was just leaved in the wind of destiny long time ago with that strange system. It was mirrorless before anyone from bigger boys was doing such,
but it was not "happily ever after" solution - because system included some, or more then some, strange new features, which are not given practicable chance to survive.

---

After purchasing the Pentax - Ricoh is forgot to do such lovely new things - they obviously have fear for develop anything, because of their unfamous history with previous systems they developed.

BUT that's just not good either.

Mirrorless was theK-01 already, and all they have to do is to implement EVF in that body. K-01 was released 6 years ago, and its compatible with all K mount lenses without adapter.

I really don't know why they're stopped in develop such things,
and do the bussiness only with DSLR.

---

I bought KP several month ago, because I knew there will be no any mirrorless soon, and this thread is sad proof, I was right about that.

( I'm happy with KP buy the way, this camera has potential, specially if they add one more SD card, bigger buffer, and maybe one more intersting feature - BUT LEAVE THE FLASH UNIT . )
09-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #1725
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

there will be no Pentax k-3 III,
ricoh Pentax is using the same steps
as the have used with a new Pentax Q,
slowely put it over the cliff.
Closed Thread