Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #1771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Nope,
But there isnt any Samsung tech.
Samsung is a major manufacturer of integrated circuits, including sensors.
That rumor is just a hoax. Not even a rumor
This is a rumor out of Korea.
Maybe it is a hoax, but I haven't heard anyone from Samsung deny that they might be willing to sell their technology - in fact, they are reported selling to Apple now.

If that is not true, do you have any reason at all for someone to not switch to Sony cameras when they reach the point of having to replace a K-7/5/3??

10-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #1772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Samsung is a major manufacturer of integrated circuits, including sensors.
Yes, i don't know why this has to be stated, everyone knows that.

This is a rumor out of Korea.Maybe it is a hoax, but I haven't heard anyone from Samsung deny that they might be willing to sell their technology - in fact, they are reported selling to Apple now.
Why does anyone from Samsung need to answer a hoax post. They didn't say they are willing to sell their thech. They surely don't need to deny it.

do you have any reason at all for someone to not switch to Sony cameras when they reach the point of having to replace a K-7/5/3??
Cause they don't like Sony cameras?
10-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #1773
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They didn't say they are willing to sell their thech.
OH,didnt they?????

Samsung came out and publicly stated they wanted to sell sensors for cameras,they saw Sony having all the market(apart from Canon) and wanted a slice.It was late last year or early this year.

The "rumour" is from Korean sites,I suppose Samsung being Korean might have something to do with that.

Its either true or not...50/50,Fuji was linked in the same rumour.Their latest body features a BSI sensor from a unconfirmed source.Samsung has been known to make those sensors.

If Ricoh does have a sensor + processor from Samsung(?) its a good thing.
10-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #1774
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have an older Windows 10 Pro 64-bit laptop, Intel Core i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.3GHz, 8GB Ram and an NVIDIA Quatro 4000M Video and it runs perfectly fine with Lightroom. What it won't do is stitch 6x K-1 files in Lightroom, but other than that, all functions work perfectly and no delays. Image Composite Editor is happy to do the stitch for me.

Apart from the stitching issue, the jump in file size from the K-5 to the K-1 has made no noticeable difference. The stitching issue may be due to some other factor, but I suspect that is a file size issue. But I've not dug deeper to see if I can solve it.
>

I admit, i maybe overdoing it sometimes.. but since we take photos in non-lossy formats with whoknowshowmuch-bits...
I tend to only work with TIFF files that i develop in lightroom(or silky) from pef-raw files.

I also oversize the pictures because doing retouching on oversized images makes retouching much less obvious in the final result when you resize it back to a normal size.
And convert the result back to TIFF again.

And if lightroom is opened with the fat catalogue with loads of K-1 PEF RAWs.
and i work with a load of layers in Photoshop. I experience that the system is slowing down.
(Especially with something else maybe running in the background.)

Of course... If you convert your files into JPGs and color profile to mere RGB and therefore kick everything like:
details
microcontrast
depth ...so nearly every of the image quality advantages that come frome such a high resolution high bit-depth sensor...
... into the trash can...
than yes... things are as fast as when you would work with K-5 files. of course... but that is not the reason why I bought a K-1.

Honestly I really dont dare to pixelshift too much. Because the files get even bigger.

And for that very reason, I vote that the resolution for upcoming FF cameras should not be raised too high nor should it be lowered distinctly.

But not really being a great fan of lowering MP, i would not be too depressed even if RICOH would really dive into the "CAMERA for the MASSES"(A7III/S1) competition with a 24MP FF camera.
Since with 24MP i WOULD DO pixelshift my product-photography shots...

Because despite all the talking about landscape... I think this is where PENTAX-Pixelshift really shines:
Product-Photography... Because in a studio product shooting, there is no wind, and since the schnitzel on the plate is already dead or the Vinyl-Deck you take a photo of is switched off - yep you got it - nothings moving and since that is so: Pixelshift makes the most sense here.

And when I pixelshift my 24MP photos and do a bit of resize-trickery that uses the non-interpolated info from the PS-RAWs, i can reach the same results i could reach with a Canon 5D IV(app. 32MP) and that is quite enough even for the finer CMYK-billboard prints.

42mp would be quite right... but i really see that is where reasonable FF resolution hits the ceiling...
of course... there are sensors that could do much more... but where are the lenses for those sensors...?
even really pricey Canon glass shows its limits on a 5Ds - If you want it to make sense you can only feed such a camera with lenses that cost about 3000 dollars each...namely Zeiss OTUS.
I gotta admit the new DFA* 50mm 1.4 is already nearly there... but I guess at some point above 50mp of pixel-density on FF ... even the best lens starts bleeding.

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 11:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
OH,didnt they?????

Samsung came out and publicly stated they wanted to sell sensors for cameras,they saw Sony having all the market(apart from Canon) and wanted a slice.It was late last year or early this year.

The "rumour" is from Korean sites,I suppose Samsung being Korean might have something to do with that.

Its either true or not...50/50,Fuji was linked in the same rumour.Their latest body features a BSI sensor from a unconfirmed source.Samsung has been known to make those sensors.

I like that idea too...
and there has got to be a reason, that no one dared to ask such a question at photokina, but Baus had that big smile, when he said,
that even many K-1/K-1II owners, will see a desirable camera in the upcoming APS-C DSLR
If i would have to throw in my 2 cents, i would guess it will be something like the A6500 but with a mirror and 2 card slots. (maybe even one XQD of CFExpress just like the upcoming Pana FF)

10-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #1775
Pentaxian

Its either true or not...50/50,Fuji was linked in the same rumour.
Well,the UK manager of Fuji has stated the sensor in the XT3 isnt a Samsung...in an interview at PhotoKina.I suppose(?) he should know.

$$$ony are annoucing their next Apsc body soon,it WILL have a $$$ony sensor...i wonder if its the same as the one used in the Fuji?
10-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #1776
Veteran Member

Any link to their official statement?
It's a Sony sensor that is arriving shortly in the next Sony crop flagship model.
Samsung is out of business for any kind of ILC sensors and focusing on phone market.

This hoax about Samsung reentering camera market just needs to die...

Even if there were some kind of Samsung sensor in the market there isnt any inherent advantage Pentax would have against competition having that sensor.
10-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #1777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
when he said,
that even many K-1/K-1II owners, will see a desirable camera in the upcoming APS-C DSLR
Lets hope this happens!

10-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #1778
Pentaxian

Yes, i don't know why this has to be stated, everyone knows that.
My comment was a response to your statement "But there isnt any Samsung tech" - even you, in your words I quoted here, agree Samsung does have tech.

In general, my response to your comments is the following: Ricoh refused to provide anything that even approximated facts. Nature abhors a vacuum, and in this case rumors will fill the void left by Ricoh; many of the rumors will turn out to be false, but you can't beat "little" with "nothing", and these rumors do give people mental objects to manipulate while waiting for some actual facts. In my case, I have been thinking in terms of purchasing a KP relatively soon, but I am under no pressure to do anything. One of the "rumors" comes from @asahiman, who has been building an admirable record, who suggests that Pentax might be releasing several FF cameras. A FF camera similar to the KP might be very attractive to me, depending on how they price it, so I will refrain from purchasing anything more APS for awhile and give that "rumor" an opportunity to become fact - I can see how someone waiting for a K-3 upgrade might guide his actions by the Samsung rumor for awhile ...... if you have better information, I'm sure they would be glad to hear it.
10-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #1779
Pentaxian

Any link to their official statement?
Sorry,cant find it.

This hoax about Samsung reentering camera market just needs to die...
Well,the rumour wasnt about Samsung reentering camera market,it was about supplying sensors and processors.

Even if there were some kind of Samsung sensor in the market there isnt any inherent advantage Pentax would have against competition having that sensor.
The rumour is 30% cheaper than $$$ony's sensors,I see that as an advantage.
10-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #1780
Pentaxian

I doubt if Samsung threw away dies for the sensor used in the MX500, which did somewhat better than both the Pentax K-3ii and Nikon D500 sensors.

Nikon D500 vs Pentax K-3 II vs Samsung NX500

Even using this "ancient" sensor, Pentax could improve their product. Add in the processor using in the MX500, and Pentax could finally provide the video everyone has been asking for - all at no design cost. I don't believe Samsung would refuse "easy money" like this, and Pentax would not refuse the improvements. Switching hardware like this actually provides an explanation for why the "facts" reported by Ricoh have changed.
10-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #1781
Veteran Member

It’s hard to know who to believe, if anyone.

The Photokina interview: No comment and we’re trending to putting things on hold while we see where the market is going.
Their Pentax colleague in Germany: Yes, a tasty new APS-C with features a K1 owner would want is a great idea (by implication).
Asahi Man: It’s mainly all focusing on the FF line these days and in “two classes” of it.

Take your pick. It’s hard to see how they could all be true. I’d bet on a centenary 24mpx FF over APS-C.
10-01-2018, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #1782
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I keep saying this but the K-1 + KP strategy makes a lot of sense considering Pentax strengths. Speed, buffer and tracking AF is not where Pentax is ahead of the game. I imagine it's quite hard/expensive to catch up with the leading edge on the af front and it's essentially a software/electronics problem. Pentax seems better at the mechanical side.

Everyone clamoring for a new apsc camera should just check the DPR studio scene comparisons. Nothing is happening. New cameras are relased. Nothing is improving IQ wise. The new canikon FF milcs have banding issues from the PDAF and generally lackluster performance compared to the dslrs. Flickering evf's.

The KP looks solid in comparison. Lenses are coming in way to slow to give any confidence however.
10-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #1783
Pentaxian

It's a Sony sensor that is arriving shortly in the next Sony crop flagship model.
Well,IF it is?Then thats not a normal $$$ony way of doing business.They havent in the past given a direct competitor their latest tech.

The $$$ony announcement should be soon,so perhaps we may get some "speculative"info after that?
10-01-2018, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #1784
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I keep saying this but the K-1 + KP strategy makes a lot of sense considering Pentax strengths. Speed, buffer and tracking AF is not where Pentax is ahead of the game.

The KP looks solid in comparison. Lenses are coming in way to slow to give any confidence however.
but no one can be expected to take a step backwards.

The K-1 + KP provides nothing for someone used to the K-3's ability to store over 20 images {24mp} collected @ over 6fps.
* KP buffer is too shallow
* K-1 in FF mode is too slow
* K-1 images in crop mode are too small
10-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #1785
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
And if lightroom is opened with the fat catalogue with loads of K-1 PEF RAWs.
and i work with a load of layers in Photoshop. I experience that the system is slowing down.
(Especially with something else maybe running in the background.)
I have a huge Lightroom catalogue myself. That works perfectly fine. But since you mention Photoshop: I suspect, that's where the issue lies. It's not so much the file size, but more likely the problem that Photoshop in a resources hog. Even on small files.
Closed Thread