Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #1951
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
All of us dont have the same usage or strong back. I personnaly find K1 too big and too heavy, once you add FF compatible lens on it then it is even heavier in comparison with APSC set.
I am into macro and when you add tripod, head, ringflash sometimes, a 100 and a 200mm plus a body it is more than enough to carry... Saving 200g is important by definition.
I dont believe FF is for you anyway...
if you have problems with your physics when you use a K-1 you maybe should think about buying some high-quality compact thats good for macro... Or a M43 camera.

I would not suggest anybody below 70kg of weight to ride a Honda CBR1100... that just is not a good idea.

You have to live with the fact that the K-1 is just a professional FF DSLR like any other.

Pentax K-1 weighs app. 1kg.
Canon 1DXII weighs app. 1.34kg
Nikon D5 weighs app. 1.24kg

And if we are talking about a FF to come to replace the K-3II... I hope it will be also a professional model with 2 card slots, magnesium shell and for sure dont see the need to drastically reduce the weight, if we have to sacrifice anything for it.
But I am pretty sure, there will follow a professional APS-C camera and not a FF .. and since it will be a crop ILC... it will weigh something between 700-800g most likely.
And i guess there will also be a follow up to the likes of the K-S2 which sold quite well ... And to the K-70 which also was a very fine camera with the best bang for the buck possible.

---------- Post added 10-06-18 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Ok, now that weight is out the way is it to much to ask for next iteration to omit anything above ISO 12800 cause its pretty much useless and try to squeeze in native ISO 50?
I also miss lower ISO... (K-5II had something lower than ISO 100, I fancy)...
I think having ISO 50 would really make kinda sense for what cameras like the K-1 really seem to be made for.
(what would be Studio-Photography ATMHO... I know many people see it as THE outdoor camera which it also can be used as. But pixelshift only shines for product photography if you ask me...
and the very high resolution of 36MP is also made for product photography and it also really shines, if you use it for studio-portrait-shootings)

But I dont think that we have to give up ISO 25600 for it.

10-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #1952
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I had Pentax ME/SE, then Pentax Super Program, I didn't envy anyone. My camera was right size for me and took the right photo every time I aimed it at something and pressed shutter button.
Back then we had very few Pentax followers here. In our photography club number 1 was Nikon, followed by Canon then Minolta. 2 guys had Olympus and none for Pentax. There were very few people I knew who used Pentax. Even during those years Pentax was quite rare.
10-07-2018, 02:10 AM   #1953
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So, Mark, what you are saying is that no matter what Ricoh/Pentax does its still doomed......right???
No. and frankly, I wish people would stop saying that - even in jest.
10-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #1954
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Canon cameras with no metal in the frame didn't feel any larger.
Which models?

10-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #1955
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
But I dont think that we have to give up ISO 25600 for it.
Technically - yes, you'd have to sacrifice higher end of ISO range. There is only so much an amplifier can do.
10-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #1956
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
The card is well within specs for read/write speeds...
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The card didnt fail,it wasnt capable of taking the speed of the data in,the camera did its job and told Northrup there was an error.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
He didnt read the specs,simple as that.Didnt use a card that the device worked with.He put diesel in a Ferrari and the Ferrari sent an error message.
A U3 card to do the job where a V60 is required,well that's what Canon put in their specifications....The Ferrari stopped!
10-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #1957
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Which models?
I owned Rebels - which I compared to various other Canon models.

10-07-2018, 05:51 AM - 4 Likes   #1958
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Back then we had very few Pentax followers here. In our photography club number 1 was Nikon, followed by Canon then Minolta. 2 guys had Olympus and none for Pentax. There were very few people I knew who used Pentax. Even during those years Pentax was quite rare.

Huh? Back then Pentax was the worlds bestselling slr after Canon....
Calling the MX, ME and ME Super rare is weird.
10-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #1959
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Technically - yes, you'd have to sacrifice higher end of ISO range. There is only so much an amplifier can do.
The low-ISO limit has nothing to do with the amplifier so there's no point in sacrificing high-ISO by changing the amplifier design.

It's the density of the color filters on the pixel, the quantum efficiency of the pixel, and the capacity of the pixel that determine the low-ISO level. Increasing the darkness of the color filters could improve color separation but at the expense of sensitivity. Similarly, degrading the quantum efficiency just creates an ISO 50 sensor that is just as noisy as the original ISO 100 sensor was. Creating a true ISO 50 sensor (one with lower noise than the current ISO 100 design) requires doubling the capacity of the pixel and that's a serious challenge in semiconductor design.

The easiest way to get ISO 50 is to put a filter on the lens.
10-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #1960
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The low-ISO limit has nothing to do with the amplifier so there's no point in sacrificing high-ISO by changing the amplifier design.
Maybe I wasnt clear enough. But yes, i know that base iso isnt influenced by the amplifier but higher range of the iso range is. Ergo - the lowest the base iso is, the lower the highest iso for the same amplifier design.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The easiest way to get ISO 50 is to put a filter on the lens.
This just cuts the light going to the sensor. It doesnt make it iso50. it just increases the exposure. A 2 second exposure with a nd2 filter will be a 4s exposure. The base noise level is left the same between those 2 exposures. Or even a bit higher for the exposure with a nd filter because of the thermal noise. Thus reducing the dynamic level that way.
Only increasing pixel capacity can decrease iso like you stated above

Last edited by Trickortreat; 10-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
10-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #1961
Forum Member

hm maybe... but I am sure we dont have to sacrifice ISO 25600 already...

top ISO even on K-70 already is ISO 102400 (and I am pretty sure its not even the extended range... .wait, can it actually be extended?)
so i think ISO 25600 is here to stay.

But I would also love to see ISO 80 back again or even ISO 50
(ISO 50 was never available in any PENTAX DSLR AFAIK)
I think if it means sacrificing ISO 102400 ... then yep, I am OK with it.
10-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #1962
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I owned Rebels - which I compared to various other Canon models.
The latest Rebel is indeed, about the same size as a K-3 but much lighter.
10-07-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #1963
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The latest Rebel is indeed, about the same size as a K-3 but much lighter.
Over a period of 7-1/2 years, I owned two Rebels, which produced a total of 4352 exposures {I admit to being a low volume photographer}. Each had processor issues and eventually died. Even though I had issues with their electronics, I had absolutely no issues with how they used plastics on my bodies and lenses. Sometimes when I ease the camera bag off my shoulder, my back contentedly remembers the Rebels.
10-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #1964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
hm maybe... but I am sure we dont have to sacrifice ISO 25600 already...

top ISO even on K-70 already is ISO 102400 (and I am pretty sure its not even the extended range... .wait, can it actually be extended?)
so i think ISO 25600 is here to stay.

But I would also love to see ISO 80 back again or even ISO 50
(ISO 50 was never available in any PENTAX DSLR AFAIK)
I think if it means sacrificing ISO 102400 ... then yep, I am OK with it.
Dunno. I never even go above iso6400. Pentax should probably focus on the strengths of its system and that is still life, product photography, architecture, realestate photograpy and ofc my fav - landscapes. That is where as low iso as it can go really shines.
Higher iso is suited for dunno - sports photography? I really dont think pentax should try to fit all of the niches with its limited lineup and in the end make a mediocre product.
Just my 2 cents
10-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #1965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
It appears that the KP perhaps IS the successor....... ? maybe?
Turns out, based on the 46-minute interview with Mr Baus, my guess was correct, the KP is the K3II successor in his opinion....

46 min Interview with Ricoh's Mr. Baus (in German) from Photokina 2018 - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread