Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #196
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post, @Rondec

Some points I'd highlight, to address:

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mirrorless is a tough thing for Pentax, particularly if it involves a new mount (which it should if done correctly). The biggest issues become lenses (using an adapter is at best a clumsy interim solution and at current rates of lens development you are looking at years to fill out a decent lens line up)
Olympus and Sony have turned these cameras into specs monsters which is the opposite of Pentax's style of camera
Maybe the biggest thing is that there is no particular point to k mount users going with said camera over a Sony camera if they need to get an adapter for either camera to work with k mount lenses.

Sony is so far ahead in the APS-C and full frame mirrorless game that it is hard to imagine Pentax catching up
I agree that if Pentax ever develops and releases a mirrorless, it needs to involve a new mount with a short registration distance, both to benefit native lenses and the use of adapted glass from a variety of mounts. However, the manufacturer's adapter solution to use K-mount AF / MF lenses needn't be clumsy. I use the LA-EA4 adapter with my A7II and A-mount lenses, and whilst it may look a little clunky, it works *superbly*... just as well as my Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV with native A-mount. Note that I don't own a single native E-mount lens for my A7II... I use either adapted A-mount AF lenses, or vintage manual glass.

I also agree that Olympus and Sony (and, frankly, Fujifilm) have really developed their mirrorless models to a point where Pentax can't realistically catch up - not unless it massively expands its product development team. And yet, there's a place - I think - for a "less is more" mirrorless Pentax. Sony may have the A7IIIR and A9, but I reckon a lot of people are still buying the older A7 and A7II because they do enough of what most photographers need. I'm not sure a mirrorless Pentax model needs to challenge the top end models from Sony and others.

Finally, why would anyone buy said camera instead of Sony? Firstly, because it's a Pentax, and brand loyalty does still count for something (as we see on these forums). Secondly, though, there is no AF K-mount adapter available for E-mount. If Pentax released one at the same time as the camera - part of the package, in fact - it would be the only mirrorless solution offering fully-functioning AF with K-mount lenses.

I suspect all of this is moot, as I don't believe Ricoh / Pentax has the resources to plough into mirrorless development alongside DSLRs. If it did, I'd rather see those resources concentrating on getting the best from DSLR technology first

02-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Secondly, though, there is no AF K-mount adapter available for E-mount.
Fotodiox and Techart Pro might dispute that![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 02-04-18 at 08:53 AM ----------

I also agree that Olympus and Sony (and, frankly, Fujifilm) have really developed their mirrorless models
But dont discount Panasonic, the G9 catches up Oly(for stills) but is better at video(costsaround a K-1 price though)
02-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #198
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Fotodiox and Techart Pro might dispute that![COLOR="Silver"]
I knew they did some AF adapters, but didn't realise either one had a fully operational, high-performance KAF adapter on the market. Did they license the AF algorithms, or reverse engineer like Sigma? Do they have full mechanical and electronic aperture control?

All of the AF adapters I've seen for Sony E-mount (except for Sony's own LA-EA4) have some serious limitations. They work, sure... in fact, I believe the Canon to E-mount is pretty good; also Sigma's own SA to E-mount. But the others are rather fussy and limited in operation...

I'd love to be proved wrong. I have money set aside for a proper KAF to E-mount adapter if it's available... burning a hole in my pocket, in fact

But dont discount Panasonic, the G9 catches up Oly(for stills) but is better at video(costsaround a K-1 price though)
Yeah, but they still have that little m43 sensor, right?
02-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #199
Pentaxian

people are still buying the older A7 and A7II because
They dont shoot in the rain,snow or dusty conditions!

02-03-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #200
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They dont shoot in the rain,snow or dusty conditions!
Ah, crawl back under your rock for goodness' sake
02-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #201
Pentaxian

I knew they did some AF adapters
They are Leica M into which plenty of other mount adapters fit,including M42 and K...so lots of your older glass can have AF.

The adapter motor moves the lens till it attains focus.Fotodiox is cheaper and the Techart Pro firmware works on it!(they said they didnt copy!..pull the other one).

They both recommend lenses up to 700g....but ive posted a YTube in another thread that shows a 2.8kg Nikon 500mm focusing without a problem.

Also read about someone using the Techart who said adapting Canon glass attained faster AF than the native lenses she owned!

They only work with the Phase detect AF $$$onys apparently.
02-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In case no one has seen this, it’s relevant. An article from the Japan Times on digital camera sales last year, stating that they increased for the first time in 7 years, thanks to sales of mirrorless cameras used for social media. DSLR sales continued to drop.

Japan's digital camera shipments post first increase in seven years thanks to social media surge | The Japan Times

02-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Yeah, but they still have that little m43 sensor, right?
Yes, but both Oly and Pana are pushing the limits...and the lens selection is quite good.

If i had to own just one M/L system it'd be M43....Along with K mount Dslrs of course.
02-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #204
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They are Leica M into which plenty of other mount adapters fit,including M42 and K...so lots of your older glass can have AF.

The adapter motor moves the lens till it attains focus.Fotodiox is cheaper and the Techart Pro firmware works on it!(they said they didnt copy!..pull the other one).

They both recommend lenses up to 700g....but ive posted a YTube in another thread that shows a 2.8kg Nikon 500mm focusing without a problem.

Also read about someone using the Techart who said adapting Canon glass attained faster AF than the native lenses she owned!

They only work with the Phase detect AF $$$onys apparently.
Ah, yes - I know about this adapter. But lens weight aside, it has serious limitations... it only has 4.5mm of travel, which limits its full AF capability, particularly with longer focal lengths. You can approximately pre-focus those longer lenses manually then let the AF adapter fine tune it, but that's somewhat clunky. Furthermore, it has no diaphragm control, so the lens must have the ability to manually stop down. Not much use or fun if you're trying to adapt a modern Pentax lens with no aperture ring.

The official Pentax K-mount adapter I envisage for the fantasy Pentax mirrorless would be like Sony's LA-EA4 (and, presumably, Nikon's forthcoming equivalent), with both screw-drive and electronic AF for all lenses, no pre-focusing required, and both mechanical and electronic aperture control. Ship that with the camera (either by default or optionally - I prefer by default) and you have a mirrorless replacement for the K-3II and KP that additionally opens up the benefits of a new native mount with smaller registration distance

I appreciate that EVFs aren't for everyone, and I'm not really suggesting this would be a replacement for the DSLRs (rather, it's an alternative). But you see where I'm coming from, right?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
02-03-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #205
Pentaxian

h, yes - I know about this adapter. But lens weight aside, it has serious limitations.
It probably isnt pefect on every lens but provides opportunities previously not available.

---------- Post added 02-04-18 at 09:40 AM ----------

a mirrorless replacement for the K-3II
Now thats interesting!

---------- Post added 02-04-18 at 09:47 AM ----------

I appreciate that EVFs aren't for everyone, and I'm not really suggesting this would be a replacement for the DSLRs (rather, it's an alternative). But you see where I'm coming from, right?
If the K-01 had a viewfinder there could have been a lot of progress in M/L for Pentax...has the ship sailed?...Yes ive seen the" we dont think EVFs are advanced enough" comments...as the ship approaches the horizon.

CaNikOny...FujOlyPan...all on the M/L trail but RI isnt,the niche becomes nichier?
02-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #206
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

... a mirrorless replacement for the K-3II and KP that additionally opens up the benefits of a new native mount with smaller registration distance
Now thats interesting!
There are few cameras I'd consider buying right now, given the equipment I already own and my relatively-limited requirements. But a mirrorless Pentax of the type I describe, with short registration distance and fully-functional manufacturer-produced KAF adapter, would have me reaching for my debit card... Not as a replacement for my K-3II, but as an addition to it. And if it weren't for my HV and favourite A-mount lenses, I'd happily give up my Sony A7II at the same time...
02-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #207
Pentaxian

me reaching for my debit card..
Depending what it did, i'd more than likely reach for mine too.

And perhaps some of my "other" M/L brand may fall by the wayside.

But realistically, this show starting March 1 should give an indication of RIs direction....Apsc flagship/K1 upgrade/Mirrorless/645/Q...a lot of things to ponder???
02-03-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #208
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

realistically, this show starting March 1 should give an indication of RIs direction....Apsc flagship/K1 upgrade/Mirrorless/645/Q...a lot of things to ponder???
Let's hope so. For the K-1 folks, I hope the lens news is good, and there's planned (accelerated?) progression at least for the full frame platform. For APS-C, in terms of DSLR I'd be happy to see a flagship with significantly improved AF - more for others than for me, as I don't find it especially limiting, though generally I would like to see the flagship APS-C line continue. The KP is really great, but it's not the K-3II replacement (at least, I hope it's not) As for the Q, I'd love to see a refresh, but I don't expect it...
02-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
As has been said elsewhere already: There are signs, there won't be a K-3II sucessor this year (neither before nor after photokina). If, it will likely be 2019 thing.
We’re in the midst of the first synchronized global economic expansion in decades and Ricoh seems to be sitting on their hands. They must be severely capital-starved.
02-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #210
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We’re in the midst of the first synchronized global economic expansion in decades
That sounds awfully like Bitcoin to me...
Closed Thread