Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
I actually just wish things to would sync easily. Would Love to come home from a day of shooting and load my photos onto my computer and back them up on the hard drive without taking my camera out my bag in the next room. Just the simple things
Yeah, that would be nice. The Image Sync is barely usable IMO, and the transfer speed is horrifyingly slow.

02-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I actually just wish things to would sync easily. Would Love to come home from a day of shooting and load my photos onto my computer and back them up on the hard drive without taking my camera out my bag in the next room. Just the simple things
It's tough, because wireless is slow enough that even though you technically can use it to transfer files, it is way too slow to do so. And it really isn't so hard to stick an SD card in a SD card slot, at least not for me.
02-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's tough, because wireless is slow enough that even though you technically can use it to transfer files, it is way too slow to do so. And it really isn't so hard to stick an SD card in a SD card slot, at least not for me.
No card slot on my computer. So I have to go find the micro USB wire and grab the camera and get them all hooked up. Maybe I just invest in a USB to sd card reader haha. Probably way easier.
02-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #229
Pentaxian

displaying thumbnails via the image sync app is fine, but transferring 36mp files is slow, which is understandable. if i want to transfer jpg to phone, i save it as a smaller file (2mb) and transfer time is fine.

02-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Lightning SD Card Reader. Plug it in the bottom of my phone or tablet, edit or post to social media directly. Who needs radios? Crapshots work in Instagram and Instaflash. Why bother with a camera for a Check-In?
02-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Fuji A series are appealing
I'd like to see that?

---------- Post added 02-05-18 at 05:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Samsung's attempt was awful by the way.
An opinion formed by how much experience?
02-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Mirrorless is in direct and immediate conflict with DSLR in terms of competing for money spent on R&D and time spent by camera designers, lens designers, software engineers, manufacturing, top executives, etc.

There's no way Ricoh can take a limited pot of money, cut it in two, and create competitive products in both architectures. Dividing their resources in half just means falling further behind on both camera styles.
A fair opinion obviously, but mine is that concentrating 100 per cent on DSLRs will put Pentax out of business eventually. Even if they reduced down to a single FF camera and more or less dumped APS-C, the DSLR market will become too tough and constrained for a niche player on the side. It is simply shrinking year by year. Somehow, Ricoh have to navigate a changeover period of a few years - still with DSLRs for their traditional customers for sure but with the new-gen stuff building and gradually coming through for the new wave of future customers. It doesn’t have to be either/or, and none of us knows what Ricoh really want from their imaging division anyway.

So, yes to a good new APS-C DSLR in 2018 but if Ricoh spokesmen rule out mirrorless in the not very distant future, I would take it as a warning that Ricoh are looking for an out of some kind.

02-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #233
Pentaxian

@surfar:
I needed just a few seconds with the camera (of course, I already had plenty of previous experience with Android smartphones and cameras). Further attempts - until I've got bored - only confirmed that I was correct. In contrast, the NX-1 felt like the real deal.
How much experience did you have?
02-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Ive had 5 years with the samy galaxy camera, 4 years with the samy S4 zoom.Currently own and use on a daily basis.

Ive owned sold/given away NX1000 x2,NX10..from quite a while ago

Currently own NX mini, NX300,NX30,NX500....from when they were released.

Now,specifically...you went in the store and "played" with some Samsungs and that qualifys you to say what you did....MY OPINION, is that all the Samsungs(that includes other point and shoots) are extremely good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How much experience did you have?
02-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #235
Pentaxian

Of course it qualifies me to form an opinion - I don't have to buy and use several such cameras for years, just to figure out how bad they are.
Just like I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes and wear them years before realizing they don't fit at all. I hope I am qualified to buy shoes (whatever organization issues such certifications).
02-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I'd like to see that?
Try this for size:

Asian women get their closeup in new push for Japanese cameras- Nikkei Asian Review

The press release for the new Fujifilm X-A5 is full of code words - user-friendly, easy, touchpanel, enhancer, affordable, quick, fun, lightweight, comfortable, etc. It comes in a choice of three colours (two are pastel-ish) and is offered with a power zoom. No EVF, just the rear screen.
02-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #237
Pentaxian

Lol, colors are now not something to laugh at.
02-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Try this for size:
Ha ha, ive watched all the Ytubes a few days ago...i want to see it in my hands, definitely buying the lens.

The combined package could be a bargain.
02-04-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No card slot on my computer. So I have to go find the micro USB wire and grab the camera and get them all hooked up. Maybe I just invest in a USB to sd card reader haha. Probably way easier.
Image sync works very well to transfer small jpegs for quick upload on your phone (as sculptor666 said). But for RAW files to your computer you really want something faster. USB 3 to card reader is definitely a faster way to go (by far) than any wifi option out there -- and will continue to be for a long time.
02-04-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #240
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's what I'd like to see in a K-3 II successor:
  • Faster, higher-density AF array. As a sports photographer, I often have trouble getting precise focus on distant subjects, and as subjects move closer to the camera, I need to be able to accurately track them. The K-3 II often has trouble tracking fast-moving subjects in poorly-lit indoor arenas, even with a fast lens like the D FA* 70-200mm. A faster and denser AF array that can keep up in low light would make a huge difference.
  • Faster continuous shooting. 8.3 fps sometimes just isn't enough, and it slows down dramatically when using continuous AF. Having more images to choose from means I have a better chance of getting at least one keeper from within an image sequence.
  • Faster memory card slots. I do RAW+JPEG even with sports photography, and I need the buffer to clear quickly after each sequence in order to review them. The K-3 II tops out at about 40 MB/s writing to memory cards, limited by the SDR50 data rate, yet the generic media reader I have in front of me can do SDR104. While the K-1 has SDR104 slots, there's still room for improvement. Upgrading the slots to UHS-II (or even the upcoming UHS-III) would help dramatically.
  • Hybrid viewfinder system. I've thrown this idea around before: a transparent high-resolution color OLED display could be used in place of a transparent LCD (like the one used in the K-1) to provide a color viewfinder overlay and serve as an eye-level EVF in Live View. This would create new possibilities for the viewfinder, including focus peaking, dynamic grid lines, and more. Although this would add complexity, it should be technically feasible and would be a massive selling point.
Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-04-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Closed Thread