Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #2431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well don't expect much development for aps-c lenses in the DA series for 2019. It is fullframe for most development.
Ye, sadly, I know...

11-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #2432
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Yeah even though Pentax has come out saying they make "field" cameras, which pretty much makes 'em a "poor-mans Hasselblad" (which isn't a bad thing), that will only work for them for so long in the apsc/FF field.

If they (Ricoh) wants to gain more users/make the current user-base happy, some of the "minimum requirements" they should do is to increase the buffer (~40+), more AF points (~90+), both card slots UHS-II compatible, usb-3, & improved video. For the K-1II replacement, it doesnt have to match Nikon's D850 in every spec, but even if it can get close to it in some areas, I see alot of Pentax users being happy.
all that stuff sure, but it has to be mirrorless--that is if Pentax intends to sell any of their new cameras... seriously. mirrorless is the future folks. like it or not, read 'em and weep, all that stuff. their current lenses will not compete in the mirrorless wars. but what do a bunch of stats and economics matter?! dslr? what's that?
11-16-2018, 01:39 AM - 5 Likes   #2433
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by punkrachmaninov Quote
all that stuff sure, but it has to be mirrorless--that is if Pentax intends to sell any of their new cameras... seriously. mirrorless is the future folks. like it or not, read 'em and weep, all that stuff. their current lenses will not compete in the mirrorless wars. but what do a bunch of stats and economics matter?! dslr? what's that?
What a load of... (ahem... be nice, Mr. K!) nonense!

"Like it or not"? Nobody's entitled to decide for the entire market; , "you must have this and only this".
On the contrary, it's the market which decides the DSLR's continuous survival - in other words, "like it or not" is the deciding factor.
And despite the desperate mirrorless propaganda, DSLRs continue to be more popular than MILCs. People like them a lot.

Last edited by Blue; 11-19-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: removed minor political reference.
11-16-2018, 01:49 AM - 5 Likes   #2434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
mirrorless is the future
Rubbish

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And despite the desperate mirrorless propaganda, DSLRs continue to be more popular than MILCs. People like them a lot.
Absolutely

11-16-2018, 02:21 AM   #2435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I've once got over 1500 frames with a single battery charge, with the K-1. Bursts, AF-C and with some LCD usage.
For AF.C bursts that is a low number in my experience. Probably driven by your LCD usage. I switch the LCD off in those scenarios.

I remember shooting polo games with the K-1 with 1,800+ burst shots and the battery indicator was still green (though it turned yellow the day after quickly). I was expecting to be able to shoot 3,000 frames off one battery in that scenario.

Lenses play a major role there also. The Sigma 70-200 wasted much more power than any other lens I ever owned and I expect it would half the battery life compared to other lenses being better in the power consumption department.
11-16-2018, 03:21 AM   #2436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
For AF.C bursts that is a low number in my experience. Probably driven by your LCD usage. I switch the LCD off in those scenarios.
The thing is, I wasn't trying to save energy. Yes, I used the LCD, I had the GPS on, I shot RAW (thus, more to write to the card)...

Other times I've got fewer than 1,000 frames - just because I used a different shooting pattern.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-16-2018 at 03:27 AM.
11-16-2018, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #2437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By all accounts, Nikon's Z cameras aren't doing well. Not sure why a Pentax mirrorless camera would do any better. The last thing Pentax needs right now is a new mount. They just need to get some more DFA * lenses out there and yes, they can easily be mounted on an APS-C camera like the K3 II sequel.

11-16-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #2438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
By all accounts, Nikon's Z cameras aren't doing well. (...)

The following is the sales ranking of the Japanese store Map Camera for September:
  1. Fujifilm X-T3
  2. Nikon Z7
  3. Sony Alpha 7 III
  4. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  5. Canon EOS Kiss M (EOS M50)
  6. Sony Alpha 7R III
  7. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI
  8. Nikon Coolpix P1000
  9. Olympus Tough TG-5
  10. Nikon D850

Source: Map Camera 2018年9月 新品・中古デジタルカメラ人気ランキング | THE MAP TIMES

(Canon EOS R and Nikon Z6 weren't available in September)

Edit: I hadn't realised the October ranking had been published as well. Here it is. As usual, there is a boost for the cameras (here, the Canon EOS R) made available during the month (delivery of pre-orders).
  1. Canon EOS R
  2. Sony Alpha 7 III
  3. Sony Alpha 7R III
  4. Canon EOS Kiss M (EOS M50)
  5. Nikon Z7
  6. Fujifilm X-T3
  7. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  8. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VI
  9. Nikon D5300
  10. Nikon D850

Source: Map Camera 2018年10月 新品・中古デジタルカメラ人気ランキング | THE MAP TIMES

(Nikon Z6 wasn't available in October)

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-16-2018 at 05:16 AM.
11-16-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #2439
Veteran Member

They just need to get some more DFA * lenses out there and yes, they can easily be mounted on an APS-C camera like the K3 II sequel.
I don't understand the comment. The DFA are FF, no? So it means they are bigger & more expensive. One of the advantages of apsc is overall smaller size & cheaper. I know i can, but why would i put a bigger & more expensive FF lens on my k3 (or sequel)?

But i agree, they need to get some more dfa lenses out there. Right now, i still feel pentax being a mixed bag. Apsc body development being a bit behing because of the focus on FF & FF lenses being a bit behind because of resources (?..)
Not sure about this, feels like betting on two horses.

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 12:30 PM ----------

By all accounts, Nikon's Z cameras aren't doing well. Not sure why a Pentax mirrorless camera would do any better.
Bit early to say nikon Z is not doing well imo.
When looking at fuji. I think they are doing well, not so much because they go mirrorless, but more because of the package they deliver. Small capable attractive bodies & suited lenses.. Mirrorless does allow them partially to go there. So i do agree on the last part.. but for a different reason.
11-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #2440

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I know i can, but why would i put a bigger & more expensive FF lens on my k3 (or sequel)?
With a lens optimized for FF used on an APS-C-Camera you potentially benefit from the "sweet spot" aka less vignetting and better IQ in the edges/corners.
11-16-2018, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

The following is the sales ranking of the Japanese store Map Camera for September:
  1. Fujifilm X-T3
  2. Nikon Z7
  3. Sony Alpha 7 III
  4. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  6. Sony Alpha 7R III
  8. Nikon Coolpix P1000
  9. Olympus Tough TG-5
  10. Nikon D850

Edit: I hadn't realised the October ranking had been published as well. Here it is. As usual, there is a boost for the cameras (here, the Canon EOS R) made available during the month (delivery of pre-orders).
  1. Canon EOS R
  2. Sony Alpha 7 III
  3. Sony Alpha 7R III
  5. Nikon Z7
  6. Fujifilm X-T3
  7. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  9. Nikon D5300
  10. Nikon D850

I think the question is about how it is doing places other than Japan/Asia. For some reason the mirrorless market is much bigger there than in Europe and North America.

I don't understand the comment. The DFA are FF, no? So it means they are bigger & more expensive. One of the advantages of apsc is overall smaller size & cheaper. I know i can, but why would i put a bigger & more expensive FF lens on my k3 (or sequel)?

But i agree, they need to get some more dfa lenses out there. Right now, i still feel pentax being a mixed bag. Apsc body development being a bit behing because of the focus on FF & FF lenses being a bit behind because of resources (?..)

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 12:30 PM ----------

Bit early to say nikon Z is not doing well imo.
When looking at fuji. I think they are doing well, not so much because they go mirrorless, but more because of the package they deliver. Small capable attractive bodies & suited lenses.. Mirrorless does allow them partially to go there. So i do agree on the last part.. but for a different reason.
I think my point is that the DA line up is pretty filled out right now, while the DFA line up isn't. And you can use full frame primes on crop cameras -- the reverse not as much.

Beyond which, if you keep a full frame k mount with current registration distance, I don't know that lenses are going to be that much smaller if designed for crop versus full frame. Could you make the FA 77 smaller if it only covered APS-C? Maybe, but not much. The DFA *50 is so big, not because it covers a full frame sensor, but because it is highly engineered to have corner sharpness wide open and has a ring motor for really fast auto focus.
11-16-2018, 06:48 AM - 8 Likes   #2442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where in the H*ll do these Mirrorless Evangelists come from? Is there a Mirrorless Evangelist training academy some place? They must be sent here to save us from DSLRs, a fate worse than point and shoot. We seem to get one or two every month or so then they fade away only to be replaced by another batch of them. Please no more preaching, don't they realize that we are just irredeemable Luddite DSLR users.
11-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #2443
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

1. Fujifilm X-T3
  2. Nikon Z7
  3. Sony Alpha 7 III
  4. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  6. Sony Alpha 7R III
  8. Nikon Coolpix P1000
  9. Olympus Tough TG-5
  10. Nikon D850

1. Canon EOS R
  2. Sony Alpha 7 III
  3. Sony Alpha 7R III
  5. Nikon Z7
  6. Fujifilm X-T3
  7. Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
  9. Nikon D5300
  10. Nikon D850

Could it be that the Japanese photography enthusiasts are avid GADGET buyers? I really don't think this will prove out for the rest of the world......but what do I know.
11-16-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #2444
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax hasn't shown yet what they're going to do with their hybrid viewfinder.
11-16-2018, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #2445
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I use Takumar and Pentax-M lenses on my K-30 all the time. I also have some AdaptAll and Pentax-FA zoom lenses - FF, but lighter and smaller than my WR DA zoom lenses. Build quality has as much effect on size and price as does image circle in this case. Personally, I'd rather see more DFA than DFA* lenses ..... I'm not willing to pay for corner-to-corner sharpness and all the other perfection that makes the DFA* 50mm such a monster {compare it in size to the fabled Takumar eight-element 50mm lens}.
Closed Thread