Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 53
SOMETHING is to come in February 2018... CP+
But i dont have the slightest, what.

rumors say a camera.


not a bit of a chance to get to know what kind of.
maybe they bought 1" sensors and other rx100 stuff and want to play around with it.
i wouldnt wonder since sony released an RX0 and is attacking the actioncam-market and sealife DC2000 also looks like a good competitor to all those "tough" cameras.

or maybe they are the second company after HASSELBLAD to just revamp a sony camera and put their own mount onto it.
I know that sounds ridiculous but if you would have told me 5 years ago that HASSELBLAD will revamp a mere A99 and will say: e voila, now its a bit more tough, we will need to charge you 10000-12000 Bucks for that polished A99,
pal.... i would have loughed at you for about half an hour...

nonetheless...

I am sure most of us know that the HASSELBLAD HV exists:
Hasselblad HV is restyled Sony SLT-A99 with 'tough as nails' construction: Digital Photography Review

so let me tell you, there is nothing i would appreciate more than an A99II with Pentax K-Mount.

12-29-2017, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 11,083
QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
or maybe they are the second company after HASSELBLAD to just revamp a sony camera and put their own mount onto it.
I know that sounds ridiculous but if you would have told me 5 years ago that HASSELBLAD will revamp a mere A99 and will say: e voila, now its a bit more tough, we will need to charge you 10000-12000 Bucks for that polished A99,
pal.... i would have loughed at you for about half an hour...

nonetheless...

I am sure most of us know that the HASSELBLAD HV exists:
Hasselblad HV is restyled Sony SLT-A99 with 'tough as nails' construction: Digital Photography Review

so let me tell you, there is nothing i would appreciate more than an A99II with Pentax K-Mount.
I certainly know that the Hasselblad HV exists, as I own and shoot with one... though I didn't pay 10000 - 12000 bucks for it. I actually paid slightly less than it would have cost to buy a brand new Sony A99 with the same Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM lens and a waterproof case (which was included) here in the UK. B&H was selling off final stock of the camera at a massive discount a couple of years ago, since it was an abject failure in terms of marketing, sales and brand reputation. Hasselblad washed its hands of the entire Sony re-styling and re-badging exercise as a result of the backlash.

So, I really don't think it would do Ricoh any good to re-badge the A99II (or, since we're talking about an APS-C K-3II replacement in this thread, the A77II?). With respect, there's very little I'd appreciate less.

I've collated a lot of information on how the Hasselblad / Sony camera tie-in came about, the differences in the cameras, the marketing mistakes, market and press response, the subsequent failure of the overall exercise, damage to the brand and the impact on senior management appointments. It would make worthwhile reading for any camera manufacturer considering such an approach, and serves as a cautionary tale.

The HV is a fantastic camera, but it's really just a Sony A99 in better clothing, with a Hasselblad badge on the front and a different model name in EXIF. Oh, and an allegedly hand-picked copy of the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8... plus a very nice waterproof case, extra battery, 8GB memory card and a copy of Lightroom 5

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 05:40 PM.
12-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,221
QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
maybe they bought 1" sensors and other rx100 stuff and want to play around with it.
.
No any sense to make another version of RX100 at all...

Better to produce new GRIII with WR.
12-30-2017, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 719
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A replacement for the K-3II is highly likely. The mirrorless part is wishful thinking on the part of a few that like to start rumors.


Steve

(...still holding out for K-cup support..."K" as in Keurig...)
Keurig is the cell phone camera of coffee.



12-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,179
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Keurig is the cell phone camera of coffee.
best coffee

freshest beans possible

good manual grinder

The AeroPress by Aerobie, Inc coffee maker ( upside down brew method )

The Aeropress Coffee Maker - Coffee Review
12-30-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 719
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
best coffee

freshest beans possible

good manual grinder

The AeroPress by Aerobie, Inc coffee maker ( upside down brew method )

The Aeropress Coffee Maker - Coffee Review
Green coffee beans.
Roast in modified hot air popcorn popper.
Grind just before need.
Make coffee in stovetop siphon.

12-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 11,083
This is starting to feel a bit like the WIWBAK3 thread

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
best coffee

freshest beans possible

good manual grinder

The AeroPress by Aerobie, Inc coffee maker ( upside down brew method )

The Aeropress Coffee Maker - Coffee Review
I'm with you on the (best quality) fresh beans inverted AeroPress method...

I don't use a manual grinder, though. I'm fond of my years-old Krupps 75 electric grinder. Been using it for so long that I can tell just from the sound and feel when I've got the grind just right
12-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,179
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Green coffee beans.
Roast in modified hot air popcorn popper.
Grind just before need.
Make coffee in stovetop siphon.
I don't have a source of green coffee beans

and yes I know that it is thought that roasted beans start to lose " flavor " as soon as they are removed from the roaster

you do the best you can

12-30-2017, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #24
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,221
I know that to find good coffee in public catering is serious problem in USA
12-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,179
my son told me he wanted a manual grinder for his coffee

I gave him a old one to try

I asked how he liked his coffee

he said he was going to use the grinder to make iced coffee

where did I go wrong

iced coffee - what an oxymoronic term

________________________

coffee must be hot and strong

you can always cool it or weaken it

you can't strengthen it or reheat it
12-30-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 719
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I don't have a source of green coffee beans

and yes I know that it is thought that roasted beans start to lose " flavor " as soon as they are removed from the roaster

you do the best you can
Sure you do... the interwebs. Unroasted green coffee beans last a long time.

12-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, I really don't think it would do Ricoh any good to re-badge the A99II (or, since we're talking about an APS-C K-3II replacement in this thread, the A77II?). With respect, there's very little I'd appreciate less.
... 1st. that was "just sayin"
... 2nd I defenitely would NOT wish just for a rebadged A99...
... 3rd I would rather prefer a pentax style body, a hybrid viewfinder and from a technical point of view, the "innards" of the A99II


pfh... rebadged, who would buy something like that??

Try Laura Palmer:
Laura Palmer (Coffee and Lemonade) | The Nut-Free Vegan
Its the bees knees, if you take green coffee instead of roasted one.
Even better with a bit of ginger added.
12-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 11,083
QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
... I would rather prefer a pentax style body, a hybrid viewfinder and from a technical point of view, the "innards" of the A99II
Ah, now we're (sort of) talking. Gotta be careful, people will take you at your word around here...

Clearly it won't happen for the K-3II replacement, nor for the K-1 "MkII", but a hybrid OVF / EVF - as discussed here in a few threads over the past year or two - would be appreciated by several (many?) of us.

As for the A99II innards... I don't think anyone would have a problem with elements of them being incorporated into Pentax equipment if they're used to create independent and individual products, rather than simply derivatives...
12-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,429
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not an easy time to be a camera manufacturer. Would love an updated K-01 with electronic viewfinder. An updated Q would get my attention. Not sure about replacing a dslr model with a mirrorless. Probably better to update the K3 and bring out a new mirrored model with different naming.
Thanks,
barondla
I keep saying I expect a surprise around CP+ time.


I suppose a new "Q" is now a possibility - I had given up on that idea, but perhaps Metabones knows something.


I suppose a K-07 - my "private" name for what .would result if they did the obvious thing and designed a MILC based on the K-70 {which has a MILC compatible sensor} - is possible


Honestly, I use the word "surprise" because I have absolutely no idea where they are going next, other than my expectation they will continue their tendency to design new bodies that provide good high ISO images { the K-1 does better on the DxOMark ISO tests than both the Canon 1DXii and the Nikon D850}.
12-30-2017, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,436
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Keurig is the cell phone camera of coffee.
Some would claim that digital is the Folgers of photography

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
my son told me he wanted a manual grinder for his coffee

I gave him a old one to try

I asked how he liked his coffee

he said he was going to use the grinder to make iced coffee

where did I go wrong

iced coffee - what an oxymoronic term

________________________

coffee must be hot and strong

you can always cool it or weaken it

you can't strengthen it or reheat it
I use a hand grinder and sometimes use it for cold-brew where the resulting "syrup" requires a 1+1 dilution to attain normal strength. I will admit to drinking the diluted mix over ice

My grinder (not expected to be a suitable K-3II replacement)...




Steve
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, 85mm, adapter, angle, aps-c, battery, camera, camera list, canikon, depth, gap, k-3 ii, k-mount, k3, lens, lenses, list, mirrorless, mount, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pool, products, ricoh, ricoh japan, size, wonder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 18-55 WR replacement on K-3 II CharLac Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 04-19-2018 08:29 AM
Pentax K3ii officially discontinued dcpropilot Pentax News and Rumors 509 03-05-2018 09:25 AM
K3ii replacement 36mp? amp Pentax DSLR Discussion 35 02-21-2017 10:17 PM
Successor to K3ii - care to guess when? Spodeworld Pentax K-3 178 11-12-2016 01:57 PM
Replacement K3ii also under affected serial Numbers khilla Ask B&H Photo! 2 07-23-2015 11:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top