Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #361

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, people here have been so busy knocking the KP for what it isn't, that they haven't noticed what it is. It doesn't have improved AF - without that, I'm not sure there is much point to a larger buffer. It is much better at low light than any Nikon camera is; it was the proving ground for high ISO capabilities that are now in the K-1ii, but people were so busy looking for the K-3iii they didn't notice. Perhaps Pentax is having trouble working around the Nikon AF patents, so they decided to go another route.

So, if you want a D500, go ahead and spend 50% more - just be aware that both DxOMark tests and user experience say it isn't very good at higher ISO settings, so you should also plan to purchase expensive f/2 lenses.
I never mentioned AF when talking about KP.
What I did say was that it could've been a K3 replacement, even if lacking slightly in some ways, if it wasn't for the buffer, which makes the 7fps it's capable of little more than a gimmick.
If it had a proper buffer, that's a compromise I'd accept, and given the increase in IQ, and small decrease in some specs, probably many other buyers.
Hence the "missed opportunity". They made a good camera, but crippled it. Hence "it could've been much more, for just a little more".
Canikon can cripple cameras because they have a ton of models, so people will just go the next higher. Not Pentax.

And I also never mentioned D500, so stop peddling it.

03-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
I never mentioned AF when talking about KP.
What I did say was that it could've been a K3 replacement, even if lacking slightly in some ways, if it wasn't for the buffer, which makes the 7fps it's capable of little more than a gimmick.
If it had a proper buffer, that's a compromise I'd accept, and given the increase in IQ, and small decrease in some specs, probably many other buyers.
Hence the "missed opportunity". They made a good camera, but crippled it. Hence "it could've been much more, for just a little more".
Canikon can cripple cameras because they have a ton of models, so people will just go the next higher. Not Pentax.

And I also never mentioned D500, so stop peddling it.
I know you didn't mention AF - but that is the ingredient you're missing; my point was that people who want to take long bursts also want better AF, and those cameras are competing with the D500 whether you want to admit its existence or not. Accept the KP for what it is meant to be, a low light monster addressing the same group addressed by the K-1ii but lower budget, not for what you wish it were.
03-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It'd be more than enough if we finally got an AF equivalent to that of the D7100 - I don't think anyone is realistically expecting D500 level AF performance from Pentax in the next 10 years or so.
I have always thought that the direct comparison for a k-3II would be the D7200 level. I would be extremely happy with a D7100/ D7200 AF on the K-3II replacement. I think D500 is on a different level. At least that's how I understand things.
03-02-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #364
Pentaxian

With a small-ish buffer, you simply have to be good and not rely on spamming to get the shot. No big deal. I'll have a K3iii just as soon as it comes out if I can, but my KP suits my needs quite well indeed.

03-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #365
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If people want a D500 equivalent then they should probably just get a D500. I've said before, but I would think Pentax would release a K3 II sequel that has two card slots, some improvement in auto focus, buffer of 35 to 40 RAW files, frame rate of somewhere between 8 and 9 fps and probably some bump in video specs. I hesitate to guess on video because while the market seems to expect 4K video at this price point, Pentax has not been very aggressive at adding top end video to their cameras.

Of course, it will have an accelerator chip and IBIS and astro tracer and improved pixel shift.

The goal is to have a camera that stands out versus others in the market -- not one that mimics an existing camera already out there.
For me, Pentax would make alot of users happy by upping the AF points (66+)/improved AF, increasing buffer (40-ish+), USH-II compatable card slots, adding USB 3.0, and SR for video/general video improvements into the K3 replacement. It would've been awesome if they added all of that into the k1mk2 (even if the buffer maxed at 30 shots), alot of users would've been fine if it weighed a few ounces mor/slightly bigger & waited an extra 6 months or so/paying a bit more ($2100-ish) for it.
07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it is high time that someone from Pentax or associate says something, even in the form of a tease or leek, to keep the interest going
I'm pretty sure if it is the right camera I will buy one, otherwise I'm looking at you KP.

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-11-2018 at 03:44 PM.
07-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I think it is high time that someone from Pentax or associate says something, even in the form of a tease or leek, to keep the interest going
I'm pretty sure if it is the right camera I will buy one, otherwise I'm looking at you KP.
I do not understand this attitude. Most of the companies are pretty close mouthed about upcoming cameras. Telling us what is coming just slows down current sales. Any news will certainly have an impact on both KP and even K-1ii sales.We should just use what we have and see what happens in the future.

07-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #368
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not understand this attitude. Most of the companies are pretty close mouthed about upcoming cameras. Telling us what is coming just slows down current sales. Any news will certainly have an impact on both KP and even K-1ii sales.We should just use what we have and see what happens in the future.
I know some that have been waiting for 3 or 4 years now.... so I can sympathize with their frustration. It is perfectly understandable to me. Windows of opportunity (in life and photography) are only so long.. they are finite... so we cannot wait for ever on a hope that has never been floated by the people who would make it happen (in this case a camera). Money is rather finite too.. so it can be a big decision on picking a camera body...

beachgardner is just expressing he is growing tired of waiting for something that might happen when he could buy a camera, right now, that would happen if he ordered it. But it seems he would rather wait if the unreleased yet camera is going to offer a much higher performance over the camera that can be had right now if the wait isn't much longer ...
07-11-2018, 06:56 PM - 4 Likes   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is what bothers me. Where is it written that we have a right to new cameras we like every couple of years? Folks get all worked up about something that they have no claim on doesn't exist yet. We have the K-3ii, the k-1, the KP and the K-1ii. The use of this otherwise useful and helpful forum to rant in social media fashion about something none of us have any control over is itself an abuse. It goes on all the time and I usually ignore it. There is no conceptual puzzle to understanding people complaining about things outside their control. Read Epictetus.
07-11-2018, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #370
mee
Veteran Member

That is what bothers me. Where is it written that we have a right to new cameras we like every couple of years? Folks get all worked up about something that they have no claim on doesn't exist yet. We have the K-3ii, the k-1, the KP and the K-1ii. The use of this otherwise useful and helpful forum to rant in social media fashion about something none of us have any control over is itself an abuse. It goes on all the time and I usually ignore it. There is no conceptual puzzle to understanding people complaining about things outside their control. Read Epictetus.
What about ranting about the so-called ranting? Is that different?

I think you would be a lot less stressed if you just ignored the pleas for a new camera.... but I see it as a positive, at least there is demand for this next gen body.. when and if it ever arrives..
07-11-2018, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I think you would be a lot less stressed if you just ignored the pleas for a new camera.... but I see it as a positive, at least there is demand for this next gen body.. when and if it ever arrives..
The problem is the people who make veiled threats that they will stay with Pentax only if certain things are delivered under a certain schedule - and yes, we do hear that sort of talk.
07-11-2018, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No stress. I am mainly just upping the post count so we can have more K-1 winners. But complaining about what Ricoh does is just silly..
07-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #373
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problem is the people who make veiled threats that they will stay with Pentax only if certain things are delivered under a certain schedule - and yes, we do hear that sort of talk.
I'm not sure how long or extensively you've used the internet for social interaction, but people generally love to give their opinions online so this is normal. It is pretty easy to generally overlook those kind of posts if you realize they're going to happen and, if it becomes a common song for particular folks, hit the ignore user feature if it is that aggravating.

I don't want to put anyone on that list, and I'm sure you don't either, but I'm hoping you realize that nipping at people you think are nipping at Pentax or aren't cheerful enough to your standard is annoying to read too.

I don't see anything beachgardener said in that message that was negative or threatening... he just said he wants to know more about when/if and what Ricoh release soon because he is soon to make a decision on whether to wait for it or go with a KP. He didn't say anything about leaving Pentax... there was no ultimatum.

And I agree with him.. a nice tease would be great to create more interest and conversation (which could further the forum efforts this month)...
07-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #374
mee
Veteran Member

No stress. I am mainly just upping the post count so we can have more K-1 winners. But complaining about what Ricoh does is just silly..
Agreed. But, in general, providing personal opinions about likes and dislikes of camera hardware, brands, or any other subjective thought with perfect strangers as if it matters to them is kind of silly too... so much of the time spent in conversation here is rather silly and otherwise unfruitful.

OK on upping the post count though... seems to have slowed a bit.. which I was concerned earlier in the month would potentially occur..
07-11-2018, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #375
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how long or extensively you've used the internet for social interaction, but people generally love to give their opinions online so this is normal. It is pretty easy to generally overlook those kind of posts if you realize they're going to happen and, if it becomes a common song for particular folks, hit the ignore user feature if it is that aggravating.

I don't want to put anyone on that list, and I'm sure you don't either, but I'm hoping you realize that nipping at people you think are nipping at Pentax or aren't cheerful enough to your standard is annoying to read too.

I don't see anything beachgardener said in that message that was negative or threatening... he just said he wants to know more about when/if and what Ricoh release soon because he is soon to make a decision on whether to wait for it or go with a KP. He didn't say anything about leaving Pentax... there was no ultimatum.

And I agree with him.. a nice tease would be great to create more interest and conversation (which could further the forum efforts this month)...
I was making a general statement - not about anyone involved in this particular discussion.
I am a member of a generic photo discussion forum, and I've heard more than one person there say he wouldn't consider Pentax because, based on posts here, there are too many rats abandoning what appears to be a sinking ship.
Closed Thread