Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Really, it's similar to handling a regular film SLR with the same size lenses, and people did that for decades without difficulty (think Zenit SLR plus Tair-3 300m f/4.5)...
The parallel is appropriate. The A7II with adapter in place is similar in heft and balance to a traditional (non-compact) film SLR. Strangely, the same is true for my K-3. It has been my dream for Pentax to offer a pared down 24 Mpx FF SLR of similar bulk/weight.

Steve

12-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm a little tired of speculating on what's next. The trend says mirrorless but, it's still not that great to me. I've looked into Fuji, Olympus and Canon EVFs and I'm really not happy. The view is so fake. The colors are over emphasized not giving the natural view. Panning a mirrorless camera also makes me dizzy. I guess if that's the future I have to have a hard time learning to like it. I guess it's just the size and weight that I like.
Exactly!

The true trend in photography is toward smartphones. And yet we all know that some photographers still use and will continue to use interchangeable lens cameras for their advantages over smartphones.

The subtrend in photography is toward mirrorless. And yet we all know that some photographers still use and will continue to use DSLRs for their advantages over mirrorless.

The entire notion that trends always go to 100% and that every manufacturer must join the bandwagon is simply false.
12-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly!

The true trend in photography is toward smartphones. And yet we all know that some photographers still use and will continue to use interchangeable lens cameras for their advantages over smartphones.

The subtrend in photography is toward mirrorless. And yet we all know that some photographers still use and will continue to use DSLRs for their advantages over mirrorless.

The entire notion that trends always go to 100% and that every manufacturer must join the bandwagon is simply false.
I’m wondering though if manufacturers will have to make more narrow choices on what they can offer due to challenging market conditions. It may not be feasible for them to continue doing R&D for both mirrorless and traditional DSLRs. Just a thought.
12-31-2017, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I’m wondering though if manufacturers will have to make more narrow choices on what they can offer due to challenging market conditions. It may not be feasible for them to continue doing R&D for both mirrorless and traditional DSLRs. Just a thought.
I agree completely.

That's why I think it would be stupid for Pentax to invest a boat-load of money to create me-too mirrorless plus all the lenses needed to make a credible entry. Why dilute it's R&D on yet another line of bodies and lenses?

P.S. Given that mirrorless predates SLR in both film and digital, I'd say it's traditional mirrorless vs. newer DSLRs.

12-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #50
Pentaxian

As for 645 market, it makes more sense. But enough to warrant heavy investments, I dunno.
12-31-2017, 05:13 PM - 4 Likes   #51
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I agree completely.

That's why I think it would be stupid for Pentax to invest a boat-load of money to create me-too mirrorless plus all the lenses needed to make a credible entry. Why dilute it's R&D on yet another line of bodies and lenses?
Yes indeed! Much as I'd love to see a competitive Pentax mirrorless camera (as a fan of both DSLR *and* mirrorless technology), other manufacturers already have such a head-start and strength in that area. Ricoh / Pentax, on the other hand, already has strength in the DSLR market, and is really coming into its own with the release of the K-1 and KP... perhaps not in sales volume, nor in revolutionary features, nor even in wide-spread acceptance... but definitely in solid performance, very high quality at accessible prices - and highly-significant customer loyalty. I'd rather see the investment adding to and improving upon what's already been achieved. Perhaps some big leaps in DSLR capability, but if not, continued incremental improvement, and more new lenses to match

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2017 at 05:20 PM.
12-31-2017, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Yes indeed! Much as I'd love to see a competitive Pentax mirrorless camera (as a fan of both DSLR *and* mirrorless technology), other manufacturers already have such a head-start and strength in that area. Ricoh / Pentax, on the other hand, already has strength in the DSLR market, and is really coming into its own with the release of the K-1 and KP... perhaps not in sales volume, nor in revolutionary features, nor even in wide-spread acceptance... but definitely in solid performance, very high quality at accessible prices - and highly-significant customer loyalty. I'd rather see the investment adding to and improving upon what's already been achieved. Perhaps some big leaps in DSLR capability, but if not, continued incremental improvement, and more new lenses to match
Couldn't agree more. I think the DSLR market is hardly dead - MILC are very nice, but chasing after the heard will never get Pentax/Ricoh where they want to be.

12-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a common sort of thing with speculative topics that have been thoroughly discussed on other threads. As noted very early on in this thread and others with similar title, there is no news from Ricoh/Pentax regarding a K-3II replacement and no rumors either. That being settled, there is little more to talk about than the merits (or lack thereof) of mirrorless, coffee, and perhaps bacon or cheese. How about squirrels drinking coffee? (RIP, Rupert)...

(Stolen from rabbitron's imgur account...This squirrel needed coffee, so I gave him some. - Imgur)

Steve
Nice picture Steve. I will surely miss Ruperts posts on Otis.
12-31-2017, 11:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you have a video of that setup in action?

Steve
No sorry...

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-31-2017 at 11:41 PM.
01-01-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

What is actually possible IMO would be a GR-inspired MILC. Very compact, with a couple lenses but only UWA to mid-Tele (portrait).
Lightweight and not 'IwannaHaveTheBrightestLensOnEarth' thing. But very high quality.
Around Leica CL/TL2/X. Kind of.
01-02-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #56
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax should go only, for a beast FF (As K1) a beast medium format (as 645z) and a brutal beast joining technology as (k01 +k3ii) with small body, evf, and a good Af system. To compete canikon and have is own nich.

Only my opinion. Hope 2018 brings good news. By now I'm glad to have my k3ii.
01-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #57

If Ricoh would jump into MILC area it should also uprage its' video capabilities A LOT to increase sales. Many of mirrorless manufactures are good in this area, in focusing also.
01-02-2018, 05:50 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What is actually possible IMO would be a GR-inspired MILC. Very compact, with a couple lenses but only UWA to mid-Tele (portrait).
Lightweight and not 'IwannaHaveTheBrightestLensOnEarth' thing. But very high quality.
Around Leica CL/TL2/X. Kind of.
Absolutely agree. Because of Ricohs heritage in system cameras GXR I was really hoping that this would have been the way of how RI would build a mirrorless system.
I would love a GR-based system with a bayonet mount (instead of the plastic GH3 and the screw in adapters), and four adapters, equal to 21 (existing), 28 (native), macro (existing), 43 (1.5 teleconverter) and 56 (2 teleconverter).
The good thing: very versatile travel set (reminds me of contax gr
Small, with focal lenghts where this is a real benefit
The bad thing: not a real mirrorless system in terms of adaptability of other lenses etc.
Tele and large zooms not suited, but here any mirrorless looses it's advantage over DSLR anyway - protecting the space for K3-successor.

Other solutions would require a new mount with mirrorless flange distance anyway. I would opt for the Contax G, but maybe shorter would be better for adaptors...
01-02-2018, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Absolutely agree. Because of Ricohs heritage in system cameras GXR I was really hoping that this would have been the way of how RI would build a mirrorless system.
(...).
GXR-like cameras are not only Ricoh's heritage, they are Pentax's too.

In 2002, Asahi Optical / Pentax (which was then an independent, listed company) created the Pentax X-Change concept: a digital MILC with the same dimensions as a compact camera, including a thin body with an integrated pop-up flash and interchangeable lens units (sealed modules containing both a lens and a CCD image sensor), offering a variety of focal lengths.

Created in 2002, the Pentax X-Change concept was showcased at Photokina 2006. The Ricoh GXR was announced in November 2009.

01-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #60

Is the K3-II discontinued?

Major dealer in the UK listing K3-II as "Last Stocks"

Pentax K-3 II Camera Body
Closed Thread