Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #871
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EVF in dark or dim enviornment

What is needed is an EVF that can accurrately reflect a real world view, not a bright tv image, in a darker or dim environment. Maybe an auto dimming function based on an external sensor so after shooting more than 1 quick shot your eye isn’t blown out when you pull your eye away from the viewfinder.

08-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #872

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Doesn't the sensor used on the K-70 have the capability to focus?
I didn't know, so I went to read for a while, and yes, the K-70 has hybrid on-sensor CD/PDAF, but only while recording video, not for stills nor live view for stills. This means it's not ready for the kind of thing we need for a hybrid OVF/EVF. My guess is that it gets too hot when continously turned on, plus battery life must suffer considerably.

Oh, well...
08-28-2018, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One thing I'd like to see, is an adjustable focus point.
As it it is now (supposedly), the center "circle/ring) in the viewfinder is the center focus point (or close to taking up the whole circle) so the focus points are quite large.
It would be nice if there was an option to change the size of the actual focus points and what lights up in red would be the actual size of the focus point.

It would help nature/wildlife photogs with shooting through branches etc.
You could get crazy creative with Portraits by shooting through tight spaces as a frame within the frame.
And just in general it should provide more pin point accurate focus when something may be in foreground and you're shooting something further into the background.
08-28-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #874

EVF's don't "reflect" anything... OVF's and mirrors on the other hand... Pentax was my first DSLR (and I don't plan to jump ship anytime soon) after a ton of research and one huge selling point for me was the pentaprism... would not have gone in for EVF or even a hybrid, no matter the "progress"..

08-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #875
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoodworth Quote
EVF's don't "reflect" anything... OVF's and mirrors on the other hand... Pentax was my first DSLR (and I don't plan to jump ship anytime soon) after a ton of research and one huge selling point for me was the pentaprism... would not have gone in for EVF or even a hybrid, no matter the "progress"..
I'm guessing this is in response to the comment by mlt. mlt and you are using the word "reflect" in different ways - yours is an actual physical thing, while the use by mlt is a figurative thing meaning showing the essence of ..... if the scene gets darker mlt wants the EVF to be darker in some sense but not as dark as the actual scene.
08-28-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #876
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing this is in response to the comment by mlt. mlt and you are using the word "reflect" in different ways - yours is an actual physical thing, while the use by mlt is a figurative thing meaning showing the essence of ..... if the scene gets darker mlt wants the EVF to be darker in some sense but not as dark as the actual scene.
Kind of exactly - my point was an EVF needs to show what I am seeing, through the lens - not a bright tv image that causes eye light balance issues. Until they can match the reality of an OVF, whether Pentaprism vis mirror, rangefinder, or large-format ground glass back, I’ll stick with my traditional K-1 view. My original post was just to point out possibly a fix for an EVF’s main problem -something I doubt we’ll see for the forseable future
08-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #877
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You won't see it because it's considered a feature, not a problem. You'll see shadow details that are invisible through an OVF. If the EVF is blinding you just turn down the brightness.

08-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #878
Veteran Member

If the rest of the specs are ok I do not care if the next model is milc or dslr. I would enjoy either of them.
08-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
You won't see it because it's considered a feature, not a problem. You'll see shadow details that are invisible through an OVF. If the EVF is blinding you just turn down the brightness.
That's the best case, I still have to be convinced that this works for me. A noisy granulated image of detail of amplified in the shade is still not what I would be seeking.
08-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #880
Forum Member

I do expect that EVFs will improve until I no longer find them annoying, but at the moment, I still do. The ones I've tried lack resolution, lack dynamic range, and lag behind reality too much. I have definitely been spoiled by Pentax's very good OVFs!
08-30-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #881
Veteran Member

About the new Nikon Z series only using single, and very expensive XQD cards - one notable reviewer said he thought Sony made it a requirement to fabricate and deliver the new sensors for the Z series. Also, a few reviewers are not happy with current AF tracking performance...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 08-30-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: error.
08-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #882
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
one notable reviewer said he thought Sony made it a requirement to fabricate and deliver the new sensors for the Z series.
Well if that were true, Nikon should be looking for a new sensor supplier for future cameras, I'd say.

But I doubt it is.
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Well if that were true, Nikon should be looking for a new sensor supplier for future cameras, I'd say.

But I doubt it is.
I read somewhere that Nikon has tried and was working with another sensor manufacturer, but apparently for state-of-the art sensors Sony seems to be it - at least for now.

Now that Nikon is a direct competitor to Sony in the MILC market, why would it not be believable that Sony could extract certain concessions from Nikon? After all, Sony and most other sensor manufacturers are running at full capacity for years now...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 08-30-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Addition
08-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Now that Nikon is a direct competitor to Sony in the MILC market, why would it not be believable that Sony could extract certain concessions from Nikon? After all, Sony and most other sensor manufacturers are running at full capacity for years now...
Well, again, I have no knowledge, but as I understand it the Sony sensor business is a separate entity from the camera business, and Nikon would put quite a bit of business their way - it might not be in their interests to risk Nikon going elsewhere - apart from which, if the story were true and came out, it would not be good for Sony's reputation - like they employ underhand tactics and can only compete by hobbling the opposition.

Again, I have no inside knowledge, but it would seem a risky strategy to me.
08-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
That's the best case, I still have to be convinced that this works for me. A noisy granulated image of detail of amplified in the shade is still not what I would be seeking.
One basic question: is this statement based on actual experience with a current EVF?
Closed Thread