Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #1021
Pentaxian

This thread is nonsense as a "rumor" or "news" thread.
It is only a little gadget-nerd boys name their wishlists for father christmas thing.

Extrapolating from what was ever said by Ricoh about it (close to nothing) and from the typical development to market timeframes of 3-4 years, there won't be a K-3 style camera this year or H1/2019. Maybe not in 2019 at all.

Stomping the little feet and throwing on the ground screaming is not going to change this.

Just relax, improve photograohy skills and if and when something shows up in stores, consider it.

09-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #1022
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It is only a little gadget-nerd boys name their wishlists for father christmas thing.

Extrapolating from what was ever said by Ricoh about it (close to nothing) and from the typical development to market timeframes of 3-4 years, there won't be a K-3 style camera this year or H1/2019. Maybe not in 2019 at all.

Stomping the little feet and throwing on the ground screaming is not going to change this.

Just relax, improve photograohy skills and if and when something shows up in stores, consider it.
Sadly, I have to agree. It amazes me this thread is so active.
09-03-2018, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1023

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Sadly, I have to agree. It amazes me this thread is so active.
Really?!
I think it's just people venting their frustration/desires, in the far hope they'll be listened by the powers that be.
On that note, I really wish the powers that be would get off their buts and release a K3 successor
09-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #1024
Banned

Photos: Gallery

Ricoh-Imaging said that they would trim down the line-up to be more focussed. For that they dropped the K-3ii......something some people would like to ignore.

09-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #1025
Pentaxian

And why exactly are you assuming the trimming down referred to the high-end APS-C line, and not to - say - compacts and Q?
09-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #1026
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And why exactly are you assuming the trimming down referred to the high-end APS-C line, and not to - say - compacts and Q?
Oh it is probably even more then that. The focus would be on fullframe. So as you mention also not on compact and Q.......and also not on 645. Time will tell.
09-03-2018, 07:32 AM - 4 Likes   #1027
JPT
Pentaxian

There is plenty of evidence to believe that a new high-end APS-C K-mount camera is coming.
- Pentax Forums was specifically told by Takashi Arai of Ricoh that they are working on what could be seen as a successor to the K-3 II. I would have though that would be clear enough.
- Then there were comments at a Ricoh event in Japan a few weeks later that the K-3 II successor would have something "unexpected" about it. It would not be a K-3 III and it would have something different about it's interface. However, it would feel familiar to users of the K-3 line.
- Then there is that fact that KP was described as a mid-level APS-C DSLR from the start, implying there is an intention to have another model above it.
- Then there is the DA* 11-18 - the very fact that it is being made as a new high-end lens, and that they said it was a result of "drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements"
- Finally, common sense dictates Ricoh should do it. It has been a key segment for them over the years. They have a whole line-up of lenses they need to keep selling.

At the same, there are a number of understandable reasons that they might be delayed.
- Simply they are overstretched.
- They don't feel a sense of panic because the KP is doing well at the same price point as the K-3 II was, and a new model will be more like a line extension.
- They are waiting for a new sensor or other component. Actually Sony themselves seem to be in this situation with APS-C. I don't think the KP sensor is a big enough jump over the K-3 II to justify committing to for the next generation (probably a I and II model over four years).
- If there is some new-to-Pentax technology in it, it could be very difficult to develop.

So, I feel certain it's coming. They won't talk about it until it's close to release though.

09-03-2018, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #1028
Veteran Member

Some of us did not upgrade from the K5IIs or other K5's, choosing to subscribe to the skip a generation between purchases axiom. I am primarily a landscape photographer and wanted three things from a new camera: 1. A swivel screen. 2. More DR. 3. Higher resolution. Eventually, I bought and returned the K3II because it only provided very slightly higher resolution with my Sigma 10-20mm lens attached, but not really worth the extra grand plus to me at the time with the two other wish list items missing. Did not even bother with the KP because of my large hands and small battery, with the K3/K5 cameras being as small as I ever want to go. Thinking for a while now that a new aps-c flagship with the new 11-18mm might be the combination I am looking for, so it would be great to see and hear about such a flagship being absolutely "on the radar". Also, a new production and delivery date for the 11-18mm would be most reassuring...is it really too much to ask? Lastly, catharsis is good and healthy for all and does not necessarily have to derided as a negative...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 09-03-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: addition...
09-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #1029
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Some of did not upgrade from the K5IIs or other K5's, choosing to subscribe to the skip a generation between purchases axiom. I am primarily a landscape photographer and wanted three things from a new camera: 1. A swivel screen. 2. More DR. 3. Higher resolution. Eventually, I bought and returned the K3II because it only provided very slightly higher resolution with my Sigma 10-20mm lens attached, but not really worth the extra grand plus to me at the time with the two other wish list items missing. Did not even bother with the KP because of my large hands and small battery, with the K3/K5 cameras being as small as I ever want to go. Thinking for a while now that a new aps-c flagship with the new 11-18mm might be the combination I am looking for, so it would be great to see and hear about such a flagship being absolutely "on the radar". Also, a new production and delivery date for the 11-18mm would be most reassuring...is it really too much to ask? Lastly, catharsis is good and healthy for all and does not necessarily have to derided as a negative...
I understand the decision to skip the KP but I believe you would love it with the battery grip since it is an entirely different camera with it on. I love it with and without the grip mounted but the extra cost is also a consideration. If you own a K-3 there is no reason to buy a replacement until you see what is coming down the road since to improve on the current models, there will have to be some large improvements is specific features. (What Nikon seemed to fail at doing with the Z.)
09-03-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #1030
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I understand the decision to skip the KP but I believe you would love it with the battery grip since it is an entirely different camera with it on. I love it with and without the grip mounted but the extra cost is also a consideration. If you own a K-3 there is no reason to buy a replacement until you see what is coming down the road since to improve on the current models, there will have to be some large improvements is specific features. (What Nikon seemed to fail at doing with the Z.)
I considered that option too, but at the time the grip and camera were about $1350 and there was no 11-18mm on the radar for to replace my limited resolution, Sigma 10-20mm. Because of being a skeptic, largely due to all the discontinuations of aps cameras at Pentax, I will not buy anything more until the 11-18mm is actually available for sale and might then give the KP a try, if nothing else shows up on the camera front. That said, the for 2019 announced Nikon 14-30mm, F4 for Z mount is calling my name from the distance...and is more to my liking! ( I do not plan to ever take up night photography. My idea of a good night is an interesting movie and a good glass of red wine. I do appreciate the great night shots taken by avid campers/hikers in exotic locations, but that will never be me)
P.S. Thanks for the good tip!

Last edited by mtgmansf; 09-03-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: addition...
09-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #1031
Veteran Member

I move from K-5 to KP and found major improvement. I already took more than 1000 photos and a lot more keeper. The battery is no issue as I have 2 batteries and never empty one in a day. I am starting to understand Pixel shift, and will do a lot more when I get in Utah.
09-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #1032
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- Then there were comments at a Ricoh event in Japan a few weeks later that the K-3 II successor would have something "unexpected" about it. It would not be a K-3 III and it would have something different about it's interface. However, it would feel familiar to users of the K-3 line.
Oh, now I remember that. That fits with the rumor that something new will be announced at Photokina. Maybe they already have something to show or at least talk about.
09-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #1033
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
I considered that option too, but at the time the grip and camera were about $1350 and there was no 11-18mm on the radar for to replace my limited resolution, Sigma 10-20mm.
Maybe just do a calculation. What is your K-5 and sigma 10-20 bringing when you sell them? How much is a K-1 (maybe the first model secondhand) with the 15-300mm Pentax lens costing? That maybe would be a good way to go.
09-03-2018, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #1034
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is plenty of evidence to believe that a new high-end APS-C K-mount camera is coming.
- Pentax Forums was specifically told by Takashi Arai of Ricoh that they are working on what could be seen as a successor to the K-3 II. I would have though that would be clear enough.
- Then there is that fact that KP was described as a mid-level APS-C DSLR from the start, implying there is an intention to have another model above it.
- Then there is the DA* 11-18 - the very fact that it is being made as a new high-end lens, and that they said it was a result of "drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements"
- Finally, common sense dictates Ricoh should do it. It has been a key segment for them over the years. They have a whole line-up of lenses they need to keep selling.

At the same, there are a number of understandable reasons that they might be delayed.
- Simply they are overstretched.
- They don't feel a sense of panic because the KP is doing well at the same price point as the K-3 II was, and a new model will be more like a line extension.
- They are waiting for a new sensor or other component. Actually Sony themselves seem to be in this situation with APS-C. I don't think the KP sensor is a big enough jump over the K-3 II to justify committing to for the next generation (probably a I and II model over four years).
- If there is some new-to-Pentax technology in it, it could be very difficult to develop.

So, I feel certain it's coming. They won't talk about it until it's close to release though.
Very good sum up !

---------- Post added 09-03-2018 at 09:17 PM ----------

You obviously dont share the same frustration as many of us...
Based on your 3-4y market timeframes, K3 platform should have been replaced in 2016 or 2017!
09-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #1035
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe just do a calculation. What is your K-5 and sigma 10-20 bringing when you sell them? How much is a K-1 (maybe the first model secondhand) with the 15-300mm Pentax lens costing? That maybe would be a good way to go.
Although I do 70-80% of my photography as landscapes, I still use the 55-300mm and 18-55mm on occasion. To replace all three lenses and the camera would be another $4000 plus to go FF. 150-450mm, 28-105mm, etc. Lucky if I get $1000 for all my current lenses and body. So about twice the cost and added weight going with the K1 and replacing lenses.
Closed Thread