Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The KP does not have GPS.
Oops! My bad!

09-11-2018, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1202
Pentaxian

The problem here, in commenting about the use of space-age plastics, in commenting about the lack of top LCD, in commenting about having room for "only one card", etc, is that people keep trying to force the KP into a 'junior K-3 slot" instead of what it is - a"senior K-70".
09-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #1203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is roughly the level of change they made between the K-1 and the K-1ii ..... and people here made snide remarks for several days.
What I want is a big positive change in autofocus, the KP's image quality and IBIS, and everything else can be a K-3ii equivalent.

I don't know anything else I'd want in an APS-C DSLR.

09-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #1204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What I want is a big positive change in autofocus, the KP's image quality and IBIS, and everything else can be a K-3ii equivalent.

Positive change from KP or from K-3ii or from K-1ii? What if Pentax is having trouble delivering that with their current collection of lenses???

09-11-2018, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #1205
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Should a K3II successor ever materialize:

-new AF module with greater discrimination when smaller targets are involved. I know the K3 can focus on a tree. Now let's see if the K3 successor can focus on a birds eye....
-new BSI sensor. Stop prepping up existing and aging sensors. Make this "accelerator" unit optional, and give me decent improved raw quality. Sony is sure to release a BSI APSC camera soon, so get that sensor, and no matter if I have to pay 200,- more for it. I want a future proof K3 successor, not just a backwards compatible one!
-If Pentax sees no perspective in mirrorless, then dampen the mirror properly: the KP has noticeable mirror slap induced blur with the DA560. Admittedly, the K3 does better, but still room for improvement.
-Fully articulate rear lcd screen a la K1.
-Build quality a la K1.
-On the shelves before end of 2019.

Chris
09-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #1206

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I think I said on page 1, we're as hostile as we are loyal.
Love/hate, genius/madness, they're separated by a fine line...
09-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #1207

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

I don't know if the problem is in the body or in the lens motor, or if pentax try to balance focus speed or accuracy, but that would be nice if there is a parameter in camera to increase focus accuracy regardless of focus speed.

I have a tons of out of focus photos when taking photos in dark shadows (woods) when using K-3II and DA300mm. I always need to manually move focus, use autofocus, take a shoot and repeat that procedure A LOT to be sure to have at least 10-15% of perfectly in focus images, very frustrating. The lens is ajusted and works well in sunlights. It's a pitty that we can trust the autofocus.

09-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #1208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Positive change from KP or from K-3ii or from K-1ii? What if Pentax is having trouble delivering that with their current collection of lenses???
All I know is the K-3ii.

I'd like improvement such that the 55-300 PLM review doesn't have to read "fastest autofocus ever for Pentax lens, but there's only so much you can do given the bodies."

09-11-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #1209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
I don't know if the problem is in the body or in the lens motor, or if pentax try to balance focus speed or accuracy, but that would be nice if there is a parameter in camera to increase focus accuracy regardless of focus speed.

I have a tons of out of focus photos when taking photos in dark shadows (woods) when using K-3II and DA300mm. I always need to manually move focus, use autofocus, take a shoot and repeat that procedure A LOT to be sure to have at least 10-15% of perfectly in focus images, very frustrating. The lens is ajusted and works well in sunlights. It's a pitty that we can trust the autofocus.
Is the AF having trouble finding focus, or is it focusing on the wrong thing?
Usually, when I'm having trouble focusing on something still, the issue is that the camera is focusing on the branch rather than on the animal.
09-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #1210
Pentaxian

Have those waiting for a K-3 replacement seen this post?
Photokina, Ricoh has Confirmed - Page 66 - PentaxForums.com

Apparently Asahiman is saying that Pentax is putting most of their effort into FF cameras. How would you react if the next camera released is a 24mp FF camera, with slightly better queue properties, improved AF, improved noise properties compared to K-3ii, but everything else were virtually the same? Being FF, I guess it would need a TC to have the same "reach".
09-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #1211
Pentaxian

Apparently Asahiman is saying that Pentax is putting most of their effort into FF cameras. How would you react if the next camera released is a 24mp FF camera, with slightly better queue properties, improved AF, improved noise properties compared to K-3ii, but everything else were virtually the same? Being FF, I guess it would need a TC to have the same "reach".
Saw that. Unless it has D5 or EOS-1D X Mark II type of AF performance, I really wouldn't be too interested. Yes. I'd be willing to pay a lot more for that type of AF, but with IBIS as a bonus. I guess we'll see.
09-11-2018, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #1212
Veteran Member

Reading many of the 80 pages or so, it seems like the longer Pentax waits to put out a flagship aps camera, the higher the expectation! Of course, this is logical, given all the new, excellent cameras that have been coming out in the last few years, although mostly mirrorless, except for the Nikon D500, Canon D80, and soon a 7DIII. I would still be happy with a flagship that had the latest, tweeked K1 II autofocus, system, KP sensor, K70 swivel-screen, large buffer, dual SD XC II cards, and all the other current bells and whistles like astro-tracer and pixel shift. Good to have relatively reliable autofocus in video, of course too.
A lower model K1 is a non-starter in my opinion. People would just buy a K1 used, or other, instead. At this point, the new and used market is flooded with great new and used 24mp or 36mp FF cameras, both DLSRs and MILCs, and a price war is expected. Just my final thoughts, wish list, and two cents worth...
09-11-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #1213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem here, in commenting about the use of space-age plastics, in commenting about the lack of top LCD, in commenting about having room for "only one card", etc, is that people keep trying to force the KP into a 'junior K-3 slot" instead of what it is - a"senior K-70".
I love this analogy.
09-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #1214

Just want the FujiFilm XT3 with a K mount and KP dynamic range...maybe IBIS.I know is mirrorless but I also know that no matter how fantastic the new apsc camera could be, It will not have 4k 10bit 422 clean video output, and I need that, besides my FS5+Shogun Inferno.
09-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #1215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't be thrilled. I have something like nine lenses. All of my workhorses are APS-C, although I think my 40mm LTD works on FF. My three other FF lenses are manual focus, two special purpose (Lomo Daguerreotype, Helios).

Any push to full frame would mean $1000s in new lenses or a retreat to old manual glass that won't give me the results I currently get from the K-3II.

Closed Thread