Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3ii replacement

I've read somewere that probably in 2018 Will be a new k3 and going to be a mirroless. Do you know anything about that?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 04:39 PM.
12-20-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luismpg Quote
I've read somewere that probably in 2018 Will be a new k3 and going to be a mirroless. Do you know anything about that?
the " replacement " for the K 3 II has long been rumored

and we are still waiting
12-20-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Those are just wishful thinking rumors. There's no official information out there & more than likely, it's not going to be a mirrorless camera if it comes out. A lot of Pentax users are expecting a K-3II replacement sometime next year, but it all boils down to whether Ricoh can make that happen or not.

I'm also waiting for that upcoming K-3II replacement. Hopefully it's out before November 2018. If not, there are other camera systems that I already have in mind.
12-20-2017, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've read somewere that probably in 2018 Will be a new k3 and going to be a mirroless.
A replacement for the K-3II is highly likely. The mirrorless part is wishful thinking on the part of a few that like to start rumors.

Steve

(...still holding out for K-cup support..."K" as in Keurig...)

12-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one of the several threads asking about the K 3 II successor was started in June of 2016 and the expectation was that the camera would appear quite quickly

it may not be the earliest thread speculating on the successor
12-20-2017, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And in the interim, you could do much, much worse than the brilliant K-3II itself! 😜
12-20-2017, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Veteran Member

We're all speculating.. myself included.

I think DPR was correct when they initially reported the KP was the K-3 II successor. They supposedly got that news from Ricoh reps. I think Pentax tried to go a different route with a 'premium' type legacy inspired body and were met with a backlash. After that it was 'discovered' there was a lost-in-translation on the product release announcement and it was now NOT the K-3 II successor. haha I don't think so!

That is, my suspicion is it isnt taking long but they started on an actual K-3 II type successor when the KP was launched and it was met with rather large resistance. That is, if they actually are working one.. Ricoh reps have been known to appease interviewers with responses that cater to their interviewees requests. The way I see it if the product isn't released, it doesn't exist.

So I'd go with a KP or a K-3II if you are interested in a Pentax crop body. Those are your only 'upscale' retail choices.

12-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We're all speculating.. myself included.

I think DPR was correct when they initially reported the KP was the K-3 II successor. They supposedly got that news from Ricoh reps. I think Pentax tried to go a different route with a 'premium' type legacy inspired body and were met with a backlash. After that it was 'discovered' there was a lost-in-translation on the product release announcement and it was now NOT the K-3 II successor. haha I don't think so!

That is, my suspicion is it isnt taking long but they started on an actual K-3 II type successor when the KP was launched and it was met with rather large resistance. That is, if they actually are working one.. Ricoh reps have been known to appease interviewers with responses that cater to their interviewees requests. The way I see it if the product isn't released, it doesn't exist.

So I'd go with a KP or a K-3II if you are interested in a Pentax crop body. Those are your only 'upscale' retail choices.
This was my assessment of the situation also. I expect to see a K3II replacement in 2018, even if they didn’t plan on it when the KP was launched.

As far as mirrorless, I don’t think we’ll see another in the K mount (but I could be wrong). I think mirrorless will be a Ricoh branded camera.
12-20-2017, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is no concrete info beyond speculation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-21-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #10

I've been a loyal DSLR Pentax fan for the last 10 plus years but I must admit I do sometimes get impatient by the very long interval between updates to the Pentax cropped sensor flagship. To date I've shot with the K-10, the K-7, & I now have the K-5 & K-3. I know some will disagree, but to me the K-3ii seems like a fairly minor tweak rather than a significant upgrade from the K-3.
However, my dilemma is that I'm far too heavily invested in my Pentax kit to make the switch without seriously considering the jump. As a serious enthusiast, I have most of the lenses I want. I've carefully upgraded with the best glass I can afford by generally buying slightly used bargains each time I was in the market. On my present budget the idea of jumping ship sounds almost depressing.
However,when you consider that the K-3 came out in October of 2013 with no monumental upgrade since other than the K-1, staying with Pentax is also frustrating. Perhaps I will eventually move to the K-1, but the cropped sensor is sufficient for me as I rarely do really big enlargements & I don't often heavily crop my pictures. In addition the frame rate of the K-1 is slow in comparison & from what I've read the focus speed isn't appreciably better.

Last edited by PentaxRev; 12-21-2017 at 07:57 AM.
12-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #11

There are a couple speculative rumors out there. One being the mirrorless and secondly a "beast" of a dslr camera. Neither have any validity.

On top of it all TCS just gave the KP the second worst camera of 2017. As far as i'm concerned they have zero credibility especially when asked to provide proof in a particular range of photography no matter which brand it is. No joke TCS couldn't even figure out how to turn on a Sigma SD Quattro camera without looking at the manual. ON/OFF DUH!

I am curious as to what the Canon 7D mark iii will be like.

To me at least the delays Pentax enjoys torturing us with is the fact at being on the fence for so long about the cost and features of:

1: Getting the old camera fixed.
2: Getting a new same model replacement.
3: Getting a new less impressive model.
4: Regretting not waiting for the new model that has fixed the AF problems.

All have serious cost considerations.

When i think back to how long we waited for the K-1. We must be loyal beyond reproach or insane to hold on for at least a decade when other brand owners would have jumped ship within a year or less.

Perhaps Pentax owners have a small case of Stockholm syndrome which ins't a bad thing. At least it's not as bad as being Nikon or Sony delusional.

Last edited by solitudebound; 12-21-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: trying to avoid an argument.
12-21-2017, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
...I think DPR was correct when they initially reported the KP was the K-3 II successor. They supposedly got that news from Ricoh reps. I think Pentax tried to go a different route with a 'premium' type legacy inspired body and were met with a backlash. After that it was 'discovered' there was a lost-in-translation on the product release announcement and it was now NOT the K-3 II successor. haha I don't think so!

That is, my suspicion is it isnt taking long but they started on an actual K-3 II type successor when the KP was launched and it was met with rather large resistance. That is, if they actually are working one.. Ricoh reps have been known to appease interviewers with responses that cater to their interviewees requests. The way I see it if the product isn't released, it doesn't exist. ...
Mee and Twilhelm, I agree completely.

I'm not surprised by any delay here. Pentax is not a behemoth, with tons of resources to throw at the wall. The K1 is a solid DSLR that should serve well for a large percentage of users who would be in the market for a K3 III+ class APS-C SLR camera.

Pentax must be scratching their head, watching the rest of the world and marketplace shift around them.

High volume consumers are vanishing, increasingly happy with the camera in their iPhone 6/7/8/10 (which frankly are darn good.) Judging by the questions I answer at work (where folks always ask me for camera advice) there is less and less interest in carrying a DSLR system. Many people bought one, and either have no need to upgrade, or they realized they never bring their DSLR anywhere because of size and weight.

Meanwhile, pros and dedicated amateurs are warming to mirrorless, lead there by the pro mirrorless cameras offered by Hasselblad, Fuji and Sony. Pentax is left with SLR-based MF digital and full-frame 35mm digital that suddenly look outdated and clunky.

Yes, there are times you want an optical finder of a DSLR -- birding and high speed sports. But I don't personally know anyone who shoots those, and judging by Flickr the majority of folks shoot landscapes or slow-moving people (portraits.) For this majority, there are real advantages to mirrorless, and the DSLR architecture starts to look clunky and rube-goldbergian.

As a manufacturer (whether it's Pentax or Nikon) you have to look at Sony and Fuji and Hassy and think .... here's a way to make desirable cameras that cost less to engineer, manufacture and support, and/or offer a better profit margin.

If Pentax (and Nikon) aren't having these thoughts, then I worry about them still being here in ten years time.

The move to mirrorless is inevitable. It's like the move from viewfinder/rangefinder cameras to SLR cameras in the 60's. The rational drivers are too strong to resist for most of the market and manufacturers. Those with a valid reason to prefer the older technology will continue to be served, but likely only by one manufacturer who stakes claim to the legacy form. With rangefinders it was Leica. With SLRs ... who knows. But do Pentax or Nikon really want to become even more of a niche brand? Especially as they don't have the Veblen glow of Leica?

Therefore any thought of the Pentax K3 II successor being mirrorless is music to my ears.
12-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I believe Pentax planners viewed the K-1 as the one and only "flagship", with its crop mode replacing the K-3ii; the KP is a fine camera unless rapid burst is needed.

I believe we are as likely to see another "Q" as to see another APS-C "flagship" - but I keep expecting a true surprise around CP+ time.
12-23-2017, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Yet the K-1 cannot replace an APS-C flagship - it simply doesn't have the speed; and Ricoh Imaging said they'll do an APS-C flagship.
12-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not an easy time to be a camera manufacturer. Would love an updated K-01 with electronic viewfinder. An updated Q would get my attention. Not sure about replacing a dslr model with a mirrorless. Probably better to update the K3 and bring out a new mirrored model with different naming.
Thanks,
barondla
Closed Thread