Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I keep saying I expect a surprise around CP+ time.

I suppose a new "Q" is now a possibility - I had given up on that idea, but perhaps Metabones knows something.

I suppose a K-07 - my "private" name for what .would result if they did the obvious thing and designed a MILC based on the K-70 {which has a MILC compatible sensor} - is possible

Honestly, I use the word "surprise" because I have absolutely no idea where they are going next, other than my expectation they will continue their tendency to design new bodies that provide good high ISO images { the K-1 does better on the DxOMark ISO tests than both the Canon 1DXii and the Nikon D850}.
@Monochrome hints at something "BIG" in his signature...

Steve

12-30-2017, 08:42 PM - 5 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Green coffee beans.
Roast in modified hot air popcorn popper.
A full frame coffee roaster... for when you need to drink big.

12-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes how did we get on roasting coffee beans!

One youtuber professional photographer explained things like this. He dumped Nikon for Sony because he wanted a system ......a system in the sense that he has his stills cameras, and dedicated video camera for his video work. He claimed that only Canon and Sony can provide a stills/video system nowadays. It was a toss up between Canon and Sony, and he chose Sony because of the evf.

That all being said, I kind of agree with what that fellow is saying about how Canon and Sony is catering better to professional photographers/videographers. It looks like Nikon is transitioning to third place in the wilderness with the only other dslr maker Pentax.

TCS gave the K-P the second worst camera of the year, and Chris Nichols forced the D850 to be the dslr camera of the year because he's a nikon fanboi, and inspite of the Sony Ar3. So I look at Chris's action as a last gasp for traditional dslr systems, and I think the writing is on the wall for Nikon. Unless if Nikon starts making a range of professional video cameras, I think Nikons demise is guaranteed. Sony IS overtaking Nikon.

The major trends in the market was mirrorless and/or manufacturers are trending to stills/video . Yeah a couple of Nikon cameras are shooting 4K, but others have been doing 4K for longer like panasonic. Sony went all in with mirrorless and copped an absolute truckload of flak for everything they did, but they fine tuned with a new model every 6 months.

The K-P and K-1 tried to emulate the popularity of the Fuji system with dials for everything, so perhaps Pentax was trying follow that trend in the market.

Its hard for a company to dump dlsr and switch over to mirrorless. They can't have a dslr system and mirrorless system without killing another part of their own business. The only way to do it is to make a mirrorless with new mount and adapter, and 4k video. A mirrorless/dslr hybrid that doesn't kill the dslr lens lineup. But mirrorless adapters seem to be problematic for edge performance. Seeing how Pentax announced the 11-18mm 2.8, it shows they're still dedicated to apsc dlsr. So I doubt there'll be a mirrorless replacement for the K3ii.

Video has been a problem for Pentax, and it needs to address that issue with 4K too.

It will be interesting to see which market trend Pentax will be following in the K-3ii successor.
12-30-2017, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Coffee is good. As a matter of fact, I often say to my wife;

Life without coffee is like life without you. You perk up my morning, you enlighten my afternoon and you delight my evening. So please honey, don't forget the coffee when you get some groceries.

At least coffee is something we all agree with. As for the K-3II replacement, I'm going to relax have some coffee as I am having a mug now and wait for Pentax to shock us.

12-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
and wait for Pentax to shock us
yes and shock it will be too
12-31-2017, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #36
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Canon and Sony is catering better to professional photographers/videographers...

...Unless if Nikon starts making a range of professional video cameras, I think Nikons demise is guaranteed....

...The major trends in the market was mirrorless and/or manufacturers are trending to stills/video...
There is photographic work in existence that has exactly zero use for video. Also, EVF lag can be a problem for some photo work, so mirrorless is not a universal replacement for a dSLR.
12-31-2017, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

I'm a little tired of speculating on what's next. The trend says mirrorless but, it's still not that great to me. I've looked into Fuji, Olympus and Canon EVFs and I'm really not happy. The view is so fake. The colors are over emphasized not giving the natural view. Panning a mirrorless camera also makes me dizzy. I guess if that's the future I have to have a hard time learning to like it. I guess it's just the size and weight that I like.

12-31-2017, 06:48 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little tired of speculating on what's next. The trend says mirrorless but, it's still not that great to me. I've looked into Fuji, Olympus and Canon EVFs and I'm really not happy. The view is so fake. The colors are over emphasized not giving the natural view. Panning a mirrorless camera also makes me dizzy. I guess if that's the future I have to have a hard time learning to like it. I guess it's just the size and weight that I like.
But how does the size advantage square with the trend towards highly compensated, huge, heavy lenses? Aren't you just going to end up with a multi-pound lens attached to a tiny camera body? Unless some manufacturer makes the Pentax Limited choice, and puts out brillant little gems of lenses that may not be hyper-corrected or f/1.8. Is that Fuji?
12-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I think someone here made a comparison between a mirrorless and a Pentax DSLR both with pro lenses on them. Size seem to have ended up about the same. I like the size and weight of MILC only using standard lenses. Other than that, it would be hard for me to go for it.
12-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #40
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
But how does the size advantage square with the trend towards highly compensated, huge, heavy lenses? Aren't you just going to end up with a multi-pound lens attached to a tiny camera body?
Speaking from experience with the Sony A7 MkII, I do get some size and weight advantage using adapted SLR lenses from wide to standard telephoto focal lengths (even more so with rangefinder glass). With big, heavy lenses fitted - like my adapted A-mount Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USD and 150-600, you'd think it wouldn't handle well, but it's actually fine. Really, it's similar to handling a regular film SLR with the same size lenses, and people did that for decades without difficulty (think Zenit SLR plus Tair-3 300m f/4.5)...
12-31-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Despite Canikon, I firmly believe one component of "the future" is high ISO, that higher ISO capability will be more important than wide smallest aperture in capturing indoor sports, for example. With the KP and K-1, Pentax has given every indication of going down that route - Canikon has not. If you look at the recent DxOMark scores, Canikon cameras, even the newest ones, are way down the list, while Sony and Pentax dominate the first positions. Canikon users still think in terms of "wide constant aperture" lenses when they make recommendations - but that is the past.

note: in a recent exchange, a Canon user pointed out to me that the 1DXii costs over $5000, much more than an f/2.8 lens; I responded by noting that the K-1 does better than the 1DXii on the DXoMark's "sports" test {which is really a high ISO test} and costs less than $2000. Pentax obviously would have to work on focusing to get much attention {unless people are willing to go to even higher ISO values so they can get "comfortable DOF"}, but they're on the right road here.
12-31-2017, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

regardless of what comes next

I'm done for quite awhile

I've started years ago with a basic *st DL, moved to a K 5 II in 2015, a K 3 in 2016, and replaced the K 5 II with a K 3 Il in November

I've replaced 90 % of my lenses as well

I'm done with changing camera bodies
12-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you look at the recent DxOMark scores, Canikon cameras, even the newest ones, are way down the list, while Sony and Pentax dominate the first positions.
?

According to DxOMark, Nikon has 2 DSLRs that top the K-1 in sensor score (by an inconsequential margin IMO) and also has the top-scoring APS-C DSLR (D7200).
12-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
A full frame coffee roaster... for when you need to drink big.
Do you have a video of that setup in action?

Steve
12-31-2017, 12:14 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Yes how did we get on roasting coffee beans!
That is a common sort of thing with speculative topics that have been thoroughly discussed on other threads. As noted very early on in this thread and others with similar title, there is no news from Ricoh/Pentax regarding a K-3II replacement and no rumors either. That being settled, there is little more to talk about than the merits (or lack thereof) of mirrorless, coffee, and perhaps bacon or cheese. How about squirrels drinking coffee? (RIP, Rupert)...

(Stolen from rabbitron's imgur account...This squirrel needed coffee, so I gave him some. - Imgur)

Steve
Closed Thread