Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That sounds awfully like Bitcoin to me...
What? That bucket shop, hedge-fund ripoff? No, I’m talking real manufactured goods, real employment, real-money-investment economic growth. Every major economy on earth is growing faster than inflation and people are saying Ricoh doesn’t have an APSC flagship ready.

There’s a whiff of Hoya in the air.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.
02-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #212
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m talking real manufactured goods, real employment, real-money-investment economic growth. Every major economy on earth is growing faster than inflation.
I'll pass that on to the folks here in the North East of England. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear it
02-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll pass that on to the folks here in the North East of England. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear it
Give it about 18 months. The 2011 Southern Europe bank scare was a setback; Japan had a hiccup after Abe’s first stimulus package, too, but it’s happening. On balance I’m selling US and buying UK, EU-exUK and Japan (plus Emerging)
02-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #214
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Give it about 18 months. The 2011 Southern Europe bank scare was a setback; Japan had a hiccup after Abe’s first stimulus package, too, but it’s happening. On balance I’m selling US and buying UK, EU-exUK and Japan (plus Emerging)
I hope we get to see the benefits to a greater extent than expected up here...

North East economy growing faster - but it's still being left behind rest of UK - Chronicle Live

Apologies for veering off topic, folks

02-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #215
Pentaxian

There are few cameras I'd consider buying right now, given the equipment I already own and my relatively-limited requirements. But a mirrorless Pentax of the type I describe, with short registration distance and fully-functional manufacturer-produced KAF adapter, would have me reaching for my debit card... Not as a replacement for my K-3II, but as an addition to it. And if it weren't for my HV and favourite A-mount lenses, I'd happily give up my Sony A7II at the same time...
I've had my K-30 for just 32 months now; I'm having trouble justifying a replacement soon, although the KP is very tempting. A MILC variant of the KP {with EVF} would definitely move that forward; a QP { KP technology in EVF-equipped "Q"} would be a very-soon purchase, but despite Metabones adapter, we know that isn't going to happen.
02-03-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

I suspect all of this is moot, as I don't believe Ricoh / Pentax has the resources to plough into mirrorless development alongside DSLRs.
Their existing mirrorless system already has a new lens ready (09 Telephoto Macro).
Then would it really take that much to do a Q-S2 with the Sony 20 MP 1/1.7" IMX 204 sensor?
There could even be some cross-fertilizing of development from Ricoh's automotive camera efforts.
02-03-2018, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #217
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Harsh, strong wording but accurate - and the EVF propaganda happens everywhere, including in forums and topics dedicated to DSLRs.
Yet for all the claims of EVF superiority, I still get discomfort and headaches when using EVFs. It doesn't even reach the level where I would speak of preferences. And yes, I've seen the latest and greatest
Yeah, I slipped into old habits a bit. I will try to choose more diplomatic words in future.

02-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What makes you so sure?? Care to enumerate those signs? Or have you discarded the tea leaves already?
Please read more carefully. I never said anything about "sure". I just said there are signs. You read the tea leaves as much as anybody else here.
02-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #219
Pentaxian

But what are those signs?
I'm not saying you're wrong; the development of such a camera takes time. But right now I see no such "sign", and IMHO the information will be made available at CP+, or at the beginning of the next FY.
02-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
In case no one has seen this, it’s relevant. An article from the Japan Times on digital camera sales last year, stating that they increased for the first time in 7 years, thanks to sales of mirrorless cameras used for social media. DSLR sales continued to drop.

Japan's digital camera shipments post first increase in seven years thanks to social media surge | The Japan Times
Yes, it looks as if today cameras like the Canon M6, Olympus Pens and Fuji A series are appealing to that market just as the Q did back in the day, with the sensor and controls of the period. A new-generation Q++ would be right in among those cameras - much larger sensor, modern video, etc. There are opportunities in mirrorless that don’t involve immediate conflict with K mount. Once one has a really sorted new mount one can switch targets using body styles and feature sets - this one for younger women, that one for the vlogging crowd, another one for ye olde crusties etc etc. For Ricoh, it’s a missed opportunity I think.

Keep a hand in both camps and see what the market says. Putting every single egg in the DSLR basket is much riskier than it was.
02-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Please read more carefully. I never said anything about "sure". I just said there are signs. You read the tea leaves as much as anybody else here.
I feel pretty sure that Pentax will release some APS-C camera this year. The question is if it is a little above the K-P or if it is just a K70 replacement. My guess would be that it's above the K-P. I doubt next year, but probably fall. Two card slots, 9 frames per second, 4K video, 40 raw buffer, and better auto focus (the algorithms shared with the K-1 super and 645y). R and D will be shared among the flagships and hopefully that will make it economically feasible for them.
02-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #222
Veteran Member

What If the future is not in the technology but the software.

No one can argue that any pentax is better than a cell phone sensor. Yet phones continue to replace cameras because I think the software is better and people are creating fun apps.

Its crazy to think that all these cameras from all these brands are so good now yet they sync so poorly with cell phones and social media and all that.

Create an amazing camera with great software and let people create software too improve the tech. Imagine if someone could develop a free source app that could bring pentax af into the future. Sure some af issue may be mechanical limitations.

Sometimes dslr and mirorless seem like such dated technology.

Pentax should become the first camera with integrated android or something to allow up and coming software geniuses to push the tech into the future.

They need to do something to differentiate themselves to stay relevant
02-04-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #223
Pentaxian

The first camera with integrated android? That's not possible, I'm afraid - not without a time machine
Samsung's attempt was awful by the way. Camera makers should improve their software, but the fastest way to really muck up things is to forget they're making cameras.
02-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #224
Veteran Member

I actually just wish things to would sync easily. Would Love to come home from a day of shooting and load my photos onto my computer and back them up on the hard drive without taking my camera out my bag in the next room. Just the simple things
02-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
......There are opportunities in mirrorless that don’t involve immediate conflict with K mount. .......
Mirrorless is in direct and immediate conflict with DSLR in terms of competing for money spent on R&D and time spent by camera designers, lens designers, software engineers, manufacturing, top executives, etc.

There's no way Ricoh can take a limited pot of money, cut it in two, and create competitive products in both architectures. Dividing their resources in half just means falling further behind on both camera styles.
Closed Thread