Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would be interested in your impression of the KP with the 560 once you get a chance to work with them. Particularly any difference in AF between K-3 and KP that you notice.
It's on order at the ricoh store, together with the battery grip. So should be here next week. I won't be able to do a direct comparison, because I sold my K3 two days ago, but after 4,5 years of use, any difference should quickly be apparent.
b.t.w. I am also very interested in how effective the 5-axis SR will be with a long telephoto lens, and interested in the iso 1600 and 3200 rendering in particular. In dim light of dawn or dusk, I would occasionally hit 3200 iso at f5.6, and I did not find these worthwhile. Apparantly the accelerator unit in the KP makes these iso settings useable.

02-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
It's on order at the ricoh store, together with the battery grip. So should be here next week. I won't be able to do a direct comparison, because I sold my K3 two days ago, but after 4,5 years of use, any difference should quickly be apparent.
b.t.w. I am also very interested in how effective the 5-axis SR will be with a long telephoto lens, and interested in the iso 1600 and 3200 rendering in particular. In dim light of dawn or dusk, I would occasionally hit 3200 iso at f5.6, and I did not find these worthwhile. Apparantly the accelerator unit in the KP makes these iso settings useable.
I looked through all the ISO settings on dpreview with my K3 and D750 and I think you'll be very happy with ISO. It and the much more expensive D500 have some really nice high ISO performance that's very close to full frame now. Most Nikon sites recommend the D500 over D750 in fact because it's so close, and the KP is right there with the D500 in image quality.

I think the K3iii with that technology, or even better boosted up a bit will make for a really nice image in APS-C.

My EM10ii is 5 axis SR and has no problem shooting down to 1/4 second reliably. Should be similar for KP. Hopefully Pentax will give everyone something like Sync IS which Olympus has on a handful of lenses and bodys. It basically merges the in body IBIS and lens VR at the same time giving you something like 6.5 stops of stabilization. Reviews are 2-20 second handheld shots with that system which is extremely impressive. I'd love to see a couple new Pentax lenses and system like that with the K3iii as that would be the only system in APS-C to have it.
02-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #318
Pentaxian

Well done Chris.
After all, high bursts / longlasting rates are for unskilled photogs.
02-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'd love to see a couple new Pentax lenses and system like that with the K3iii as that would be the only system in APS-C to have it.
Fuji have just about done it!...not with that many stops,but they will be working on it now and it will come in a firmware update.

02-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #320
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd also be curious about the comparison between KP and K-3 in regards to telephoto/wildlife work...

I love my K-3ii, but ISO performance is one of the biggest things I'd like to see improved (and AF of course...)

The WiFi features look nice on the KP, but I'd rather take GPS on the K-3ii.
I'm also hesitant to jump on the KP ship because of the battery life when compared to the K-3/K-3ii...

But, if high ISO/Low light performance exceeds the K-3/K-3ii enough... I may be swayed to move to the KP before the K-3ii successor is released (who knows how long that will be)
Also curious how well the new IBIS will work with lenses over 300mm.

Honestly, if the KP shared the same battery as the K-3, I'd probably buy one today...
02-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Honestly, if the KP shared the same battery as the K-3, I'd probably buy one today...
For me, in KP vs K5, it's the buffer that kills it.
I wouldn't mind getting a grip, and that would allow me to use all my D-Li90 batteries, so no problems with battery duration.
If they'd launch a KPii with a proper buffer ( > K3) and improved AF (and those interesting different sized grips), I wouldn't wait for the K3ii replacement.
02-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
For me, in KP vs K5, it's the buffer that kills it.
I wouldn't mind getting a grip, and that would allow me to use all my D-Li90 batteries, so no problems with battery duration.
If they'd launch a KPii with a proper buffer ( > K3) and improved AF (and those interesting different sized grips), I wouldn't wait for the K3ii replacement.
Ah I just read that the D-Li90 battery works in the battery grip... Interesting.

Though, yes I agree... It's one step forward and two steps back in comparison on paper for me.

I'm shooting a lot of wildlife at early dawn or late dusk so low light performance is key.

I know I'm prob better off with a D500 and Nikon tele, but I love Pentax and have no intention of leaving so I guess I'll just keep waiting.

A KPii would be interesting if the specs are right.

02-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'd also be curious about the comparison between KP and K-3 in regards to telephoto/wildlife work...

I love my K-3ii, but ISO performance is one of the biggest things I'd like to see improved (and AF of course...)

The WiFi features look nice on the KP, but I'd rather take GPS on the K-3ii.
I'm also hesitant to jump on the KP ship because of the battery life when compared to the K-3/K-3ii...

But, if high ISO/Low light performance exceeds the K-3/K-3ii enough... I may be swayed to move to the KP before the K-3ii successor is released (who knows how long that will be)
Also curious how well the new IBIS will work with lenses over 300mm.

I'm looking forward to trying this combo out in the wild.
The K3II may already have the improved algorithms regarding AF. I'm not sure how much the newer processor in the KP adds. The main reason for me to get the KP, was that I simply did not enjoy shooting the K3 anymore. The issues with poor responsiveness, especially on a low battery, the mirror flopping when stressing the AF, the AF hunting with the DA560, it was all taking the enjoyment of handling the DA560 away.
Also, the 1600-3200 iso shots mostly ended up in the bin, not only because of noise (that can be cleaned up) but also because of the loss of real life colors. I expect the KP to do better, but have only shortly tested so far.
One immediate thing that struck me, was that AF ís indeed more responsive and quicker. The DA560 does not have a super fast AF motor, but it appears that the KP does drive it better, faster and with less hunting. So for me it was worth it, not sure how much other lenses would benefit..
Also, on a low battery, it remained responsive and positive, which gives me much needed faith in the processor that was inherited from the K1 I believe, plus adding the accelerator unit.
I am also not sure how much the DA560 will benefit from the new SR, but I will find that out in time.
For me, being fed up with my K3, it was a useful switch, and I don't have to look out for a next generation body, which should of course have Safox 13 with 50 or so focus points.

Oh, and as far as I am concerned: handling with the batterygrip on is fine. A nice solid body.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-27-2018 at 11:48 AM.
02-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #324
Veteran Member

I'm looking forward to trying this combo out in the wild.
The K3II may already have the improved algorithms regarding AF. I'm not sure how much the newer processor in the KP adds. The main reason for me to get the KP, was that I simply did not enjoy shooting the K3 anymore. The issues with poor responsiveness, especially on a low battery, the mirror flopping when stressing the AF, the AF hunting with the DA560, it was all taking the enjoyment of handling the DA560 away.
Also, the 1600-3200 iso shots mostly ended up in the bin, not only because of noise (that can be cleaned up) but also because of the loss of real life colors. I expect the KP to do better, but have only shortly tested so far.
One immediate thing that struck me, was that AF ís indeed more responsive and quicker. The DA560 does not have a super fast AF motor, but it appears that the KP does drive it better, faster and with less hunting. So for me it was worth it, not sure how much other lenses would benefit..
Also, on a low battery, it remained responsive and positive, which gives me much needed faith in the processor that was inherited from the K1 I believe, plus adding the accelerator unit.
I am also not sure how much the DA560 will benefit from the new SR, but I will find that out in time.
For me, being fed up with my K3, it was a useful switch, and I don't have to look out for a next generation body, which should of course have Safox 13 with 50 or so focus points.

Oh, and as far as I am concerned: handling with the batterygrip on is fine. A nice solid body.

Chris
Congrats on the new camera!
Hopefully the KP gives you the confidence and feel you're looking for from the DA560!

I've never even seen a DA560 in person, so I'm jealous of your new endeavor regardless...
02-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like everyone else, I don't really know what is up regarding a K3 II replacement, but I am hoping for one in 2018. There were some features about the KP that were interesting to me but I really prefer the body style of the K3. Adding these KP features to a K3 III would be, in my mind, a good upgrade. I like the feature upgrades to the K1 II and will likely order one soon as I have been waiting to see the second version of the K1, if only to feel more secure that any bugs have been eliminated. I also really like the idea of the DA* 11-18 lens and expect to order one of these when available. So, 2018 could be an expensive year for me, but also a very satisfactory one. Last year, I purchased 2 DFAs in anticipation of eventually getting a FF. I suspect my thinking is not too far off from that of others.
02-28-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a recent vacation in Central America I was surprised by how many tourists used real cameras when taking photos. The smart phone types were mostly taking selfies but the people with DSLRs and such were taking photos of what was around them.
03-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #327
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
On a recent vacation in Central America I was surprised by how many tourists used real cameras when taking photos. The smart phone types were mostly taking selfies but the people with DSLRs and such were taking photos of what was around them.
The affordability of cameras has driven this change. It has become affordable in the digital world for the "average" person to own a DSLR camera. I've also observed that out of the huge number of people shooting DSLR or mirrorless cameras, about 75% are shooting with a kit lens, usually in auto mode. Just look for the popup flashes
03-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #328
Pentaxian

^ Yup. Mostly Nikon D3xxx series & Canon Rebels with kit lenses.

I've only seen 3 other Pentax shooters so far. Two of them in the USA & one in Japan.
03-01-2018, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #329
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is some evidence of a new camera on the way from CP+. The way the DA 11-18 is described strongly suggests a new camera on the way - "This lens was developed as a "new-generation star lens", which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements" (my emphasis). To me that also implies a higher resolution sensor, which could be what we are waiting for.

A comment from Ricoh staff at the CP+ booth about the K-3 II successor:
"K-3IIの後継機とも言えるフラッグシップの開発に着手していると聞いている"
"I heard that we are undertaking the development of flagship which can be said to be the successor to K - 3 II"
03-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is some evidence of a new camera on the way from CP+. The way the DA 11-18 is described strongly suggests a new camera on the way - "This lens was developed as a "new-generation star lens", which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements" (my emphasis). To me that also implies a higher resolution sensor, which could be what we are waiting for.

A comment from Ricoh staff at the CP+ booth about the K-3 II successor:
"K-3IIの後継機とも言えるフラッグシップの開発に着手していると聞いている"
"I heard that we are undertaking the development of flagship which can be said to be the successor to K - 3 II"
Sugoi! This is pretty exciting!
Closed Thread