Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is some evidence of a new camera on the way from CP+. The way the DA 11-18 is described strongly suggests a new camera on the way - "This lens was developed as a "new-generation star lens", which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements" (my emphasis). To me that also implies a higher resolution sensor, which could be what we are waiting for.

A comment from Ricoh staff at the CP+ booth about the K-3 II successor:
"K-3IIの後継機とも言えるフラッグシップの開発に着手していると聞いている"
"I heard that we are undertaking the development of flagship which can be said to be the successor to K - 3 II"
Well that's exciting...
Now we wait!

03-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Now we wait!
Where's the Heineken?
03-01-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is some evidence of a new camera on the way from CP+. The way the DA 11-18 is described strongly suggests a new camera on the way - "This lens was developed as a "new-generation star lens", which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements" (my emphasis). To me that also implies a higher resolution sensor, which could be what we are waiting for.

A comment from Ricoh staff at the CP+ booth about the K-3 II successor:
"K-3IIの後継機とも言えるフラッグシップの開発に着手していると聞いている"
"I heard that we are undertaking the development of flagship which can be said to be the successor to K - 3 II"
Of course they are undertaking a next generation APS-C camera. They always are. As soon as one model is released, they start working on the next one. Asahiman confirmed that Pentax will develop a higher specced camera due to negative response to the KP's shortcomings.
Just consider also the timeline, which you won't hear from the Ricoh staff.
It will take them a while to develop and start production. I expect somewhere in 2019, and I will surely upgrade my new KP when it comes
03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #334

This is nearly an almost definite maybe...

03-01-2018, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Pentax will develop a higher specced camera due to negative response to the KP's shortcomings.
Nonsense. A flagship have always been the plan.
03-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #336
Pentaxian

I believe so myself (considering the statement made at CP+ 2016, and the planning of the 11-18mm)
03-01-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #337
Veteran Member

I think people are being too hard on Pentax here. It's common for manufacturers to release a new camera that exceeds a "higher end" camera in some ways but is inferior in others.

Look at Nikon with the D500. It took FOREVER to release that camera and Nikon users were forced to use the d7000 series. Nothing wrong with those cameras, but there are differences in buffer, build quality, ergonomics, etc. that the D300 users were looking for in a replacement nobody ever thought they would get. I shoot Sony a7 series, and a lot of users were looking for a faster operating camera so they went for the uber expensive a9. Then the a7rIII came out and people started selling their a9's because they really didn't need 20fps. Now people want the a7III (which came out last) because it's the camera the average person wanted in the first place.

03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not enough sales to warrant a New k3 batch
03-01-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Maybe not enough sales to warrant a New k3 batch
You could be right. I don't see a lot wrong with the KP though. I prefer the k3II ergonomics and the larger battery, but the kp is a great camera as well.
03-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Nonsense. A flagship have always been the plan.
Nonsense. If a "flagship" other than the KP had been the plan all along, it would have been here to replace the discontinued K3mkII.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
You could be right. I don't see a lot wrong with the KP though. I prefer the k3II ergonomics and the larger battery, but the kp is a great camera as well.
Pentax will not have seen a lot amiss with the KP. They released it as an APS-C camera matching or at least nearing the K1 IQ performance, and designed it similar to the K1. It is no surprise that quite a few refer to it as a "mini K1".

What people perceive as a "flagship" camera is not neccessarily what manufacturers see as their best possible camera. Pentax clearly wanted the size of its APS-C latest high end camera down, so they chose to sacrifice some specs. That does not mean that Pentax only saw it as an experimental camera, a "one off" model just fitting in nowhere really.
Pentax even designed a dedicated battery grip, to bring size up to K3 level for use with large lenses. In the packaging of the battery grip, they supply the largest of the three grips, to ensure good ergonomics.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 03-01-2018 at 12:11 PM.
03-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #341
ogl
Banned

I think this camera will be announced with DA*11-18 on summer.
03-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax designs flagship camera for three plattforms. Aps is their volum segment. Nothing has changed.
Kp was never ment as top Aps offering.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think this camera will be announced with DA*11-18 on summer.
Very likely
03-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Nonsense. If a "flagship" other than the KP had been the plan all along, it would have been here to replace the discontinued K3mkII
Nonsense. If it had been the plan all along, it would still be here when it's ready - and not before.
03-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nonsense. If a "flagship" other than the KP had been the plan all along, it would have been here to replace the discontinued K3mkII.
Chris, I read that statement three times before I tried to answer. I'm still amazed you even typed it. How on earth do you know when they intended the K-3II replacement to be here? Certainly I don't.
The plan is the plan. And we do not know what the plan is.
03-01-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nonsense. If it had been the plan all along, it would still be here when it's ready - and not before.
You see, it does not matter. The K3 was launched 4,5 years ago, with an intermittent, rather smallish update in the form of the K3II.
Now you come and tell me, that it "was their plan all along" to bring out a K3 successor and 4,5 years later, you will have a hard time convincing me if it is still nowhere in sight, except in the eyes of those that are able to see unicorns.
And in the meantime, a KP was launched, with all bells and whistles, including a dedicated battery grip, and it is even used to showcase a DA*11-18mm f2.8 at CP+, which in your view and that of others, is a downright mismatch, searching for yet another stick to beat the KP of the stage.

Just relax, all those that hate the KP and crave the K3III. A new APS-C high end body will come, and the KP will be discontinued. You have the patience, I did not.
So in the end, in 1, 1,5 or so years time, yoú will have your craved new high end APS-C K... body, costing 1500,- or so, and I will probably upgrade too.
And I will have enjoyed the very real KP, that I can hold in my hand, and enjoy the latest Pentax technology with, for a year or more, and you will have enjoyed anticipating the not yet so very real K... assuming it was just around the corner all the time..

And who will have been right? Won't matter a bit then.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 10:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Chris, I read that statement three times before I tried to answer. I'm still amazed you even typed it. How on earth do you know when they intended the K-3II replacement to be here? Certainly I don't.
The plan is the plan. And we do not know what the plan is.
I am simply following the usual upgrade cycle of the high end APS-C bodies, which would get me anywhere between spring-autumn 2019, taking the dreaded KP's launch as a latest APS-C high end release.
I don't think anyone can expect Pentax, that has problems keeping their release schedule as it is, to just churn out a higher than ever APS-C body (because that is what we want, isn't it?) at will. Remember, they have FF to develop and maintain now, and their sales are not exactly on the rise.
Nó sooner than within the normal APS-C refresh timeline, that is my realistic reasoning.
As I said, I ate too much unicorn bread already, and prefer to stick to realism until the K... is true.

Chris
Closed Thread