Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #376
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am a member of a generic photo discussion forum, and I've heard more than one person there say he wouldn't consider Pentax because, based on posts here, there are too many rats abandoning what appears to be a sinking ship.
There's no point listening to the doom and gloom merchants.

07-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #377
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's no point listening to the doom and gloom merchants.
Agreed. And we can't help people that don't want the help... so if they want to jump ship let them.. but arguing about the doom and gloom just makes more doom and gloom.
07-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I don't see anything beachgardener said in that message that was negative or threatening... he just said he wants to know more about when/if and
exactly more info would be nice from Pentax.

hey one post and the doomers are out

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-11-2018 at 10:33 PM.
07-12-2018, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #379
Veteran Member

I'm assuming their waiting on a new aps c sensor from Sony's new 150mp MF wafer. No point releasing a k3 replacement with the same old sensor.

07-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm not sure how long or extensively you've used the internet for social interaction, but people generally love to give their opinions online so this is normal. It is pretty easy to generally overlook those kind of posts if you realize they're going to happen and, if it becomes a common song for particular folks, hit the ignore user feature if it is that aggravating.

I don't want to put anyone on that list, and I'm sure you don't either, but I'm hoping you realize that nipping at people you think are nipping at Pentax or aren't cheerful enough to your standard is annoying to read too.

I don't see anything beachgardener said in that message that was negative or threatening... he just said he wants to know more about when/if and what Ricoh release soon because he is soon to make a decision on whether to wait for it or go with a KP. He didn't say anything about leaving Pentax... there was no ultimatum.

And I agree with him.. a nice tease would be great to create more interest and conversation (which could further the forum efforts this month)...
Ricoh just keeps things close to the vest until they are about ready to release. Just them saying that a K3 III will come out down the road is more than they often say. I just have a feeling that they don't like to set target dates, but more that they will release a camera or lens when it is fully ready, regardless of timing and they want to create the biggest splash possible with each release.

I think that when details dribble out for weeks ahead of time it kind of spoils the actual announcements.
07-14-2018, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #381
Veteran Member

Could we have a real thread about K3-II successor?
07-14-2018, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
In the absence of real information you get speculation and often there is a tendency to get pretty gloomy in those situations. I'm not sure what a "real" K3 II successor thread would actually have in it when the only thing we know for sure is that one is eventually coming, probably next year (but we don't even know which part of the year).

07-14-2018, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
hear, hear, well said
07-14-2018, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that won't be possible until we have a real successor to discuss. Until then this speculation thread might as well stay.
07-15-2018, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #385

Speculation is fine

Speculation is fine for me as it also happens to everything with unforeseeable future. Some people love to guess and predict things anyway. On the other hand, I like it better when people share their opinions about the improvements in features/functions they want because of how they use the camera. Those words show how photographic tools should be evolved to meet the requirements of their users. By saying that, I simply refer to the opinions from the actual usage of the camera and not just a specs comparison. I, myself, also have my own wishlist for the K-3 ii successor.

Nonetheless, I wish we could hear something new about K-3 ii replacement in an upcoming photokina 2018.
07-16-2018, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I am as unknowing as everyone else, I suspect that a K3 replacement will likely come sometime in 2019. I also do not expect that it would be mirrorless as that would cause a major shift in other factors, something that Pentax/Ricoh cannot afford to address currently. In the meantime, all their current cameras and lenses still take very acceptable photos and there seems to be an interest in upping the quality and abilities of the next generation DA* and DFA* lenses. This should prove to be a major enhancement to the Pentax brand.
07-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I'm assuming their waiting on a new aps c sensor from Sony's new 150mp MF wafer. No point releasing a k3 replacement with the same old sensor.
The IMX271 sensor seems more than adequate for a K-3 replacement. I think it's already commercially available Products Line up for Camera Image Sensor for Camera | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation
  • 24mp (I don't expect APS-C to achieve more than this for a while. Extra resolution is limited by what lenses and shake reduction can achieve)
  • 19 fps
  • Allegedly great dynamic range. I couldn't find an official statement on this, though.
There's a lot Ricoh could do with this. Merge the newer KP firmware features into a K3-like body. Aim for 10 fps with a huge buffer, maybe even faster depending on how quickly they can make a flapping mirror. Allow a 19 fps option in live view. Include further refinements to autofocus.
07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #388
Veteran Member

Along with a much-improved autofocus system, I would like to see auto calibration for lenses, a much larger number of focus selection points and the ability to select groupings from 5, 9, 12 points etc., higher frame rate, improved dynamic range and improvements to the flash system more in line with CANIKON. As for lenses I would like to see a DFA 300 f2.8
07-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #389
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
improvements to the flash system more in line with CANIKON. 8
Besides Nikons CLS which has extras functionality around mixing ttl,auto and manual flashes , What are you wanting/expecting the today that Canon/Nikon pre-flash TTL has that Pentax doesn't .?

Maybe your talking about better consistency rather than features .?
07-20-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Besides Nikons CLS which has extras functionality around mixing ttl,auto and manual flashes , What are you wanting/expecting the today that Canon/Nikon pre-flash TTL has that Pentax doesn't .?

Maybe your talking about better consistency rather than features .?
RC flash control in the body and a couple of compatible flashes would be nice. Otherwise, I don't see much point putting money into flash R&D. I believe the future is in graceful high ISO performance, and anything else that requires flash could probably be done with what they already have.
Closed Thread