Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Besides Nikons CLS which has extras functionality around mixing ttl,auto and manual flashes , What are you wanting/expecting the today that Canon/Nikon pre-flash TTL has that Pentax doesn't .?

Maybe your talking about better consistency rather than features .?
being able to program the flash and multiple flashes from the camera would be very useful especially when a flash is located inside a softbox.

07-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
being able to program the flash and multiple flashes from the camera would be very useful especially when a flash is located inside a softbox.
Is this a studio operation?
I wonder how many K-3 type cameras are used in that setting

Would a 'Cactus' not be good in that setting?
07-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this a studio operation?
I wonder how many K-3 type cameras are used in that setting

Would a 'Cactus' not be good in that setting?
I use both my K3 and my K1 in the studio quite frequently where I have a full strobe setup. I'm more interested in when I am using off camera flash for when I'm needing to use a softbox or reflectors in an outside or in a situation where bringing the large studio setup is not practical. Often when I go to someones home with my flashes I need to setup two flashes one for a reflector and the other with a portable softbox. Yes a cactus 6 would work, but I would like to be able to do it without having to purchase add ons
07-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #394

I find the leg work for tuning the lights to be quite refreshing and giving new points of view. Looking the image only through camera locks my ideas at least. But this depends if requirement is to make M20 bolt sexy product image, options for creativity are quite limited. But for live model some unbalanced light may be the big thing.

07-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #395

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I use both my K3 and my K1 in the studio quite frequently where I have a full strobe setup. I'm more interested in when I am using off camera flash for when I'm needing to use a softbox or reflectors in an outside or in a situation where bringing the large studio setup is not practical. Often when I go to someones home with my flashes I need to setup two flashes one for a reflector and the other with a portable softbox. Yes a cactus 6 would work, but I would like to be able to do it without having to purchase add ons

I don't disagree that it'd be a nice feature, though I can't imagine how any in-camera implementation would come close to matching the ease of having a Cactus trigger on top, which has enough buttons of its own. IMO it's a purchase you wouldn't regret.
07-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #396

For Photokina 2018 Pentax will have stiff competition and the last Photokina the Pentax booth was (enter cricket creeking sound) except for Pentax owners enjoying a conversation. I did get a couple lenses last time and that was fine.
07-24-2018, 11:53 PM   #397
Veteran Member

How does the K-3 II compare to the Nikon D300's autofocus? If it doesn't compare, then I hope the K-3 replacement at least meets that. That was a pretty good AF system...

07-26-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #398
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
How does the K-3 II compare to the Nikon D300's autofocus? If it doesn't compare, then I hope the K-3 replacement at least meets that. That was a pretty good AF system...

It’s been a while since I used the D300, but I feel like it was better for continuous focus. The k3ii is very good at AF-s, even in low light. It’s probably better in low light than the Nikon actually. Focus tracking on the Pentax works fine for me in general for large birds in flight. It struggles more with small birds that move very quickly.
07-27-2018, 01:48 AM   #399
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish to be a lucky winner to be an owner of a "slow" Pentax k-1 in my hands...!
07-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #400
T T

Looking forward to the K3 II replacement, I wonder when will it be out.
07-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by T T Quote
Welcome to the forum! I'm guessing not till next year.
07-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by T T Quote
Who knows, but some users are getting desperate & some of them are starting to flock to other brands. There is no official release date, but we're all kind of guesstimating that it could be sometime next year. It could be around the time of the Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens release, but we still don't know. I've been waiting since the fall of 2016 for that camera, but what's another year? "Good things come to those who wait", but one's patience can only be tested for so long. Hahaha!
07-28-2018, 03:48 AM   #403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't imagine a mirrorless replacement for the K-3 ii
07-28-2018, 03:57 AM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see a really popular super-duper replacement for the K-3 that sells really well - but it would take some phenomenal specs for me to buy it - for most purposes I prefer FF, and for the uses I have for APS-C (mostly macro and a bit of other wildlife) the K-3 serves me just fine.
07-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #405

Well, if the replacement doesn't show up when I need it, the K1 is a bit slower (fps wise) than I'd like, but would still do the job, and improve on everything except price (and camera size, but that's not important). The 11-18 seems to be pretty big, so it'll only significantly beat the 15-30 in price, and probably (hopefully, since it's a Pentax design) IQ. My K5(original + IIs) are both way over the rated shutter life, so I'd just use them until they stopped working (they have made some threats...).
I'd really prefer a top crop, as that's enough camera for my needs, but I'm also curious about FF.
Closed Thread