Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The K-3II replacement has been confirmed & it will eventually head our way.
The only unknown variable is the release date.
While release date is certainly the biggest unknown variable, do we know many of the other characteristics like sensor manufacturer or even MP, feature set, body design, etc. other than some we may have inferred from the interviews? Maybe I missed it.

08-08-2018, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #437
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
While release date is certainly the biggest unknown variable, do we know many of the other characteristics like sensor manufacturer or even MP, feature set, body design, etc. other than some we may have inferred from the interviews? Maybe I missed it.
Nothing so far. To add to the confusion, they have also stated in different interviews that it will be a continuation of the K-3 line and/or a new line of APS-C flagship . Hahaha! Doesn't help much, does it?

They are working on it, but they're very tight lipped about it. We probably won't know anything until a few days before release, whenever that comes. I'm pretty sure that a couple of individuals on this forum have some info, but the NDA force seems to be strong in the Ricoh/Pentax empire.
08-08-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #438
ogl
Banned

I hope Photokina on September, 26 will offer us new GRIII and K-3II's upgrade.
08-08-2018, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is your judgment .... followed by your decision. Are you willing to agree that Pentax might conceivably view the world differently? In the days of film, few lenses went wider than 28mm {look at numbers on used market}, which gives same view as 18mm in APS-C - UWA was hardly a thing. Perhaps with K-1 coming, Pentax decided that their limited resources would be better invested elsewhere.
I shoot most of my wide images at 10-12mm (15-18mm FF). Of course, I am only expressing a viewpoint, but the fact that Pentax 12-24mm is from 2005 and is not WR or Star, is also a problem for serious landscape photography. Very simply- what good is a very tough, well-sealed camera if the rather expensive lens has no sealing and no seals at the lens mount? Seems like a very ambivalent design and manufacturing strategy, especially when there are no WR updates. In the film days, I used a Tamron and Tokina 17mm, Nikon 20mm, but there were also Nikon and Olympus 18mm lenses in reasonable numbers, as well as popular Canon FD 17+20mm lenses. Of course, I admit that UWA is more of a recent phenomena (last 10-12 years), but why miss out on a popular trend?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by mtgmansf; 08-08-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Correction.
08-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
It's a good lens, but there are areas of improvement that can be made. Mostly in aberration and flare control. The good thing is that nobody is forced to purchase the new lens, but it is always better to have additional options (in my opinion).
agree wholeheartedly on all points made!
08-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
I shoot most of my wide images at 10-12mm (15-18mm FF). Of course, I am only expressing a viewpoint, but the fact that Pentax 12-24mm is from 2005 and is not WR or Star, is also a problem for serious landscape photography. Very simply- what good is a very tough, well-sealed camera if the rather expensive lens has no sealing and no seals at the lens mount? Seems like a very ambivalent design and manufacturing strategy, especially when there are no WR updates. In the film days, I used a Tamron and Tokina 17mm, Nikon 20mm, but there were also Nikon and Olympus 18mm lenses in reasonable numbers, as well as popular Canon FD 17+20mm lenses. Of course, I admit that UWA is more of a recent phenomena (last 10-12 years), but why miss out on a popular trend?
Maybe, just maybe, Hoya left the Pentax lens development department so depleted that they are paddling as fast as they can and this is the best they can do.
08-09-2018, 05:23 AM - 4 Likes   #442
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe, just maybe, Hoya left the Pentax lens development department so depleted that they are paddling as fast as they can and this is the best they can do.
That may be very true.....except at some point one has to stop blaming Hoya. Ricoh is now almost 7 years owner of the Pentax brand.

08-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #443
Pentaxian

My final thoughts/opinion - since Tamron came out with a weather-sealed 10-24mm last year for Nikon and Canon, Pentax could have leveraged their relationship with Tamron to build a Pentax version -with Pentax coatings. Personally, I find that zoom range more useful for my landscape shots than the upcoming 11-18mm, but understand that night and astro-photographers would want the extra boost of a f2.8. As the world turns, another two years will go by since this new, WR Tamron design, before the 11-18mm graces the earth...
08-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That may be very true.....except at some point one has to stop blaming Hoya. Ricoh is now almost 7 years owner of the Pentax brand.
I'm not blaming anyone - I'm merely suggesting a possible cause .... a design group diminished in size from the "glory days" that is paddling as fast as they can. I'm not privy to the business plan that made Pentax a reasonable acquisition for Ricoh, but possibly they thought it could be run as-is.
08-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #445
Banned

I'm not blaming anyone - I'm merely suggesting a possible cause .... a design group diminished in size from the "glory days" that is paddling as fast as they can. I'm not privy to the business plan that made Pentax a reasonable acquisition for Ricoh, but possibly they thought it could be run as-is.
It wasn't personal addressed to you.

You can read more then once that it was all Hoya that left Pentax in a low state. Well in 2018 it is very simple. If a lens or camera isn't there.....it was a choice made by Ricoh-Imaging. There is no K-3ii replacement because Ricoh-Imaging decided to trim down the line-up. With K-70 from 2016, KP from 2017 and K-1ii from 2018 there will be a new camera to replace one of the above. So the next one is likely to be an aps-c camera. In wich price category? No idea. K-70 is getting old, but maybe did not yet sold enough copys. Maybe Photokina in May 2019 will bring more news.
08-09-2018, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It wasn't personal addressed to you.

You can read more then once that it was all Hoya that left Pentax in a low state. Well in 2018 it is very simple. If a lens or camera isn't there.....it was a choice made by Ricoh-Imaging. There is no K-3ii replacement because Ricoh-Imaging decided to trim down the line-up. With K-70 from 2016, KP from 2017 and K-1ii from 2018 there will be a new camera to replace one of the above. So the next one is likely to be an aps-c camera. In wich price category? No idea. K-70 is getting old, but maybe did not yet sold enough copys. Maybe Photokina in May 2019 will bring more news.
Ron, my friend, where do you get all the info for your brilliant analysis? In the interview that Adam did earlier this year with Ricoh-Imaging Officials it was indicated that the next camera would be a replacement for the K-3II. So we wait, in my opinion we will see the replacement sooner than later but who know your brilliant analysis might be correct.
08-09-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #447
Pentaxian

There is no K-3ii replacement because Ricoh-Imaging decided to trim down the line-up. With K-70 from 2016, KP from 2017 and K-1ii from 2018 there will be a new camera to replace one of the above. So the next one is likely to be an aps-c camera.
As usual, Ron, you just don't understand Pentax, and don't have a clue about what they're doing even when they publicly stated their plans.
It's all negativism.
08-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #448
Pentaxian

I believe it is entirely possible that they planned for the line to consist of just two bodies, a "flagship" K-1 and a K-70 or some such thing, and they believed from listening to the "all I want is for my 50mm to act like a 50mm" talk that few new FF lenses would be necessary. If any of this opinion on my part is true, from Ricoh's pov this whole thing has spiraled seriously into a mission-creep situation and we should not be surprised if it takes them time to adjust.
08-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #449
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As usual, Ron, you just don't understand Pentax, and don't have a clue about what they're doing even when they publicly stated their plans.
It's all negativism.
I'm very happy that you understand Pentax and that you are all positive. You must have missed the trimming down of the line-up announcement when they publicly stated that.

To not go into a useless discussion with you, we will just wait for the next camera to be announced.
08-09-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #450
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I hope Photokina on September, 26 will offer us new GRIII and K-3II's upgrade.
I would be hugely surprised if they're anywhere near ready with a K-3 replacement. Every indication so far is that they are in very early development of a new crop frame "flagship" camera. It's far, far too early to see a working example at Photokina.
Closed Thread