Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #466
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What? You don't get the KP so "no one asked for it" ?
Are you really really hard trying to be labelled as troll of the day or something?
well maybe I exaggerated, but it seems like no one was really expecting the KP. My point being, everyone is constantly mentioning the limited resources of Pentax and making that a justification of why very old lenses - like the 12-24mm zoom- have not yet been improved or updated, yet here we still are...waiting for K3II update, along with the 11-18mm zoom. Call it trolling, call it disappointment. Maybe call it a customer with a significant investment in the Pentax system, unhappy with the glacial pace of updates and tired of excuses...

08-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #467
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
well maybe I exaggerated, but it seems like no one was really expecting the KP
Nobody expects the Pentax KP
08-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nobody expects the Pentax KP
It seems to exceed expectations.
08-10-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well maybe I exaggerated, but it seems like no one was really expecting the KP. My point being, everyone is constantly mentioning the limited resources of Pentax and making that a justification of why very old lenses - like the 12-24mm zoom- have not yet been improved or updated, yet here we still are...waiting for K3II update, along with the 11-18mm zoom. Call it trolling, call it disappointment. Maybe call it a customer with a significant investment in the Pentax system, unhappy with the glacial pace of updates and tired of excuses...
I have to say... I'm with you. My two K3 houses (one bought second hand) are worn and weary, the K3II feels like a very insignificant (and somewhat old) upgrade to buy into now, and the KP seems like a bit of a downgrade, and it WAS a surprising twist when it was released. I am an enternal optimist though, and hope for... at least news in September.

08-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #470
Veteran Member

I decided to buy the KP instaed of going with the next K-3III. From K-5 to KP is a major improvement. WE have to understand the the Next K3 , will be probably close to $1200, KP fit perfectly well in the lineup.
08-10-2018, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If we had a KP / K-3iii type camera with wickedly good AF and really good weather protection, then I'd say they'd be onto a winner.
...I will buy this when it comes. I nearly said "regardless of the price", but hey, I have two kidneys - finance is available...
08-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #472
Pentaxian

My K5IIs with Sigma 10-20mm is something I willing to casually walk around with, but a K1 with 15-30mm is almost twice the weight. This is why I still like my aps-c Pentax cameras and lenses for walkabouts. Even Tokina- and recentlyTamron- have recognized the need and market for 17-35mm f4, lightweight FF lenses. Lastly, if Pentax has such limited resources, why did they create the KP - a camera no one asked for - instead of a true K3II replacement?
I think the KP is a great camera - I'm sorry you think I'm "no one".

08-10-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think the KP is a great camera - I'm sorry you think I'm "no one".
If you really did ask for it, you got it!
08-10-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #474
Pentaxian

How can you reject thought that Pentax management's opinion was that K-1 was the update for K-3ii users? Are you saying more people were asking for new APS-C camera than for a full-frame camera??
08-10-2018, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #475
Pentaxian

How can you reject thought that Pentax management's opinion was that K-1 was the update for K-3ii users? Are you saying more people were asking for new APS-C camera than for a full-frame camera??
I am guessing you are right about the K1, but not everyone wants the added weight and expense of buying all new lenses to fit the FF sensor, as well. In my case, it would have been about $4700 just for two lenses and the K1. The KP does not satisfy my upgrade requirements and many others have said as much...
08-10-2018, 11:52 AM - 3 Likes   #476
bxf
Veteran Member

I am guessing you are right about the K1, but not everyone wants the added weight and expense of buying all new lenses to fit the FF sensor, as well. In my case, it would have been about $4700 just for two lenses and the K1. The KP does not satisfy my upgrade requirements and many others have said as much...
Stop! Stop! You are both right.
08-10-2018, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #477
Veteran Member

Lastly, if Pentax has such limited resources, why did they create the KP - a camera no one asked for - instead of a true K3II replacement?
I believe that the KP was created to give Pentax a camera that could possibly compete with the mirrorless cameras. Since Pentax has the small limited lenses, it gives them an opportunity to market a small DSLR system. That's the trend right now and I think that Pentax figured out that they really can't create a mirrorless system themselves realistically since they would have to create a new camera AND an all new lens line to compete.
08-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #478
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Stop! Stop! You are both right.
That is basically my point.

How many people here would spend $1500+ for a "minor face-lift" of the K-3ii? I'm guessing sales would not be sufficient to finance the required R&D.

Better sensor would be great.
Much better AF would be great.
Twice the battery life would be great
'Accelerator' from KP would be great (*)
A system that could read our minds would be great.
But we have no reason to believe Pentax can do that tomorrow.

What is the point of their releasing a "minor face-lift" just to have another system??
Does everyone want to purchase a new camera every three years?
We already know the answers to these questions with threads
* why not to purchase K-3
* why not to purchase K-3ii
* why not to purchase K-1ii

(*) but I can have that in KP, since I don't want larger queue, top LCD, etc
08-10-2018, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have aged a few years since I bought my K-3, so I would like the replacement to have a voice prompt that says "check your settings" when I change lenses :-).
08-10-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is basically my point.

How many people here would spend $1500+ for a "minor face-lift" of the K-3ii? I'm guessing sales would not be sufficient to finance the required R&D.

Better sensor would be great.
Much better AF would be great.
Twice the battery life would be great
'Accelerator' from KP would be great (*)
A system that could read our minds would be great.
But we have no reason to believe Pentax can do that tomorrow.

What is the point of their releasing a "minor face-lift" just to have another system??
Does everyone want to purchase a new camera every three years?
We already know the answers to these questions with threads
* why not to purchase K-3
* why not to purchase K-3ii
* why not to purchase K-1ii

(*) but I can have that in KP, since I don't want larger queue, top LCD, etc

I doubt that as you call it "a minor facelift" will be what we get. I'm looking for major improvements in IQ, AF, Buffer Capacity and write speed, Better High ISO performance, articulated rear screen and keeping the basic ergonomics of the K-3/K-3II which are superb. They can stay at a 24 mp sensor as far as I'm concerned. I've never handled a KP but the front E-Dial looks way too awkward for my tastes. An added selector dial on top would be fine, ala, K-1.

I have my money ready right now and I think it will be my last camera purchase!

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Closed Thread